Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

57 minutes ago, Collimatrix said:

Oh, ew.  It's a thermold.

Who the hell uses those in the current year?

This might come as a shock to you, but...

...they don't all use the same type of magazine. :P

...I have no idea if we have a standard mag type for the army actually. We probably do, but no idea which one. The Mali picture is Special Forces, the others are normal soldiers afaik.

It looks like the love child of a CZ75 and an STI 2011.  I kind of wish the video had shown how the upper and lower pieces of the frame fit together.  You can see the head of the screw hidden inside the frame that goes down into the root of triggerguard.    

It appears to cure two of the biggest objections to the CZ75: the lack of height of the slide to adequately grasp it and the too far forward placement of the thumb safety

15 minutes ago, D.E. Watters said:

It looks like the love child of a CZ75 and an STI 2011.  I kind of wish the video had shown how the upper and lower pieces of the frame fit together.  You can see the head of the screw hidden inside the frame that goes down into the root of triggerguard.    

It appears to cure two of the biggest objections to the CZ75: the lack of height of the slide to adequately grasp it and the too far forward placement of the thumb safety

I've never really had a problem with that on CZ or other slide safety/decocker pistols like the FNX or Beretta 92 series, but I have gorilla hands so maybe that has something to do with it.

I think this is a really good example of how training can fuck you up:

There are a lot of folks who say "go get training!" (pretty much the whole CCW wizard crowd, in fact.) I dunno. I've had a little training, and I've seen a whole lot of bad training that was probably holding people back. The thing is, it's not that hard to learn to use a handgun effectively out to self-defense distances. I think most of this training is unnecessary, honestly

Instead of getting whiz kid tactical pistol training, spend that money on a CCW class with a good legal section, or a standalone self-defense legal course. Or, maybe buy into one of those CCW insurance deals (as long as it's not a scam) or get a lawyer on retainer who specializes in that sort of thing.

And spend the rest of your dough on quality brass cased ammo for practice. And hit the gym, lift some weights to build some strength in your arms.

You'll get better eventually.

3 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

I think this is a really good example of how training can fuck you up:

There are a lot of folks who say "go get training!" (pretty much the whole CCW wizard crowd, in fact.) I dunno. I've had a little training, and I've seen a whole lot of bad training that was probably holding people back. The thing is, it's not that hard to learn to use a handgun effectively out to self-defense distances. I think most of this training is unnecessary, honestly

Instead of getting whiz kid tactical pistol training, spend that money on a CCW class with a good legal section, or a standalone self-defense legal course. Or, maybe buy into one of those CCW insurance deals (as long as it's not a scam) or get a lawyer on retainer who specializes in that sort of thing.

And spend the rest of your dough on quality brass cased ammo for practice. And hit the gym, lift some weights to build some strength in your arms.

You'll get better eventually.

Pretty much this. 

There is so much bullshit about what you can and cannot do legally out there that it is inconceivably difficult to understand the Byzantine rules of where you can carry a gun, where you can't and it differs in each of the 50 states.

But instead we get self defense courses where they pretend like you will be readily attacked by multiple attackers where you'll be forced to do multiple mag dumps against zombie, ninja, biker gangs.