Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

6 minutes ago, SampleStable said:

Is that a side mounted rail on the SVDM? A very interesting choice.

Probably not exactly a choice. I hear that dust cover on SVDM is not good and after some use becamoes unstable platform for sights.

On 4/19/2022 at 11:55 PM, LoooSeR said:

Probably not exactly a choice. I hear that dust cover on SVDM is not good and after some use becamoes unstable platform for sights.

I'd never trust an improved top cover for a precision optic. Red dots and magnifiers and 1-4x scopes is one thing, but putting a 1 kg high magnification optic on the top cover and expecting it to be reliably precise over the course of months of field use... no. Of course, I don't have any experience with SVDM, but the picatinny top cover looks like an idea somebody had for something cool to display in the booths at military industrial trade fairs. Very good for a sales pitch in a room full of suits and neckties.

The receiver is sturdy and is connected to the barrel only through sturdy components. The side rail works well with removable scope mounts.

9 hours ago, Miroslav said:

I'd never trust an improved top cover for a precision optic. Red dots and magnifiers and 1-4x scopes is one thing, but putting a 1 kg high magnification optic on the top cover and expecting it to be reliably precise over the course of months of field use... no. Of course, I don't have any experience with SVDM, but the picatinny top cover looks like an idea somebody had for something cool to display in the booths at military industrial trade fairs. Very good for a sales pitch in a room full of suits and neckties.

The receiver is sturdy and is connected to the barrel only through sturdy components. The side rail works well with removable scope mounts.

Sniper interviewed by Razvedos recently told that side rails also with time lose zero with wear, but it can be easily adjusted through tension controls. 

I also heard that every time top cover is removed on SVDM it may shift zero. Some people say that SVDs with uftermarket chassis are better. 

13 hours ago, Miroslav said:

Yeah that solution seems like a bandaid, and I wonder if the AM series is poised to take over once that becomes obvious.

10 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

Yeah that solution seems like a bandaid, and I wonder if the AM series is poised to take over once that becomes obvious.

I must say that the rifle that eventually became the AK-12 has the same vibes to it. Lots of picatinny but not sturdy enough to hold zero for magnified optics or IR lasers for night fighting. Can't see the improvement over the nicer Ak74-variants. Then again, not every new batch of standard issue rifles has to be better than the last batch. The soldiers that the Russian MoD want to equip with magnified optics or night fighting equipment can probably get their hands on other kits to have the same capability.

On 4/22/2022 at 3:40 AM, Miroslav said:

I must say that the rifle that eventually became the AK-12 has the same vibes to it. Lots of picatinny but not sturdy enough to hold zero for magnified optics or IR lasers for night fighting. Can't see the improvement over the nicer Ak74-variants. Then again, not every new batch of standard issue rifles has to be better than the last batch. The soldiers that the Russian MoD want to equip with magnified optics or night fighting equipment can probably get their hands on other kits to have the same capability.

The improvements are there but they're pretty subtle. Stuff like changing to a sensible buttstock shape, the pistol grip finally covering the rear of the receiver, the "owie pin" going away, etc.

On 4/20/2022 at 8:07 AM, Clan_Ghost_Bear said:

IMHO, due to proportions, the sig sauer spear will not succeed as a replacement for the m4. A 13" barrel in a 34" rifle.  with a chamber pressure rated to 80,000 pounds.  what could go wrong???

I can appreciate that it fulfills procurement's idea of the desired weapon,  but it feels about as sensible as subsonic Nato 556.

lets see if any service can get its hands on the True Velocity/Beretta RM277.  It seemed to include both closed bolt semi auto, open bolt full auto.

17 hours ago, Kal said:

IMHO, due to proportions, the sig sauer spear will not succeed as a replacement for the m4. A 13" barrel in a 34" rifle.  with a chamber pressure rated to 80,000 pounds.  what could go wrong???

The pressure isn't a problem in theory, but I have serious reservations about their case head design. I fear we'll start seeing case head separations once it enters service and ammunition production ramps up.

I also don't think the caliber is appropriate for an infantry rifle, and they're going to relearn some old lessons quickly.

3 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

The pressure isn't a problem in theory, but I have serious reservations about their case head design. I fear we'll start seeing case head separations once it enters service and ammunition production ramps up.

I also don't think the caliber is appropriate for an infantry rifle, and they're going to relearn some old lessons quickly.

I apologize if you’ve already answered this question, but what do you think is the future of battle rifles and other “assault weapons”? Would they just keep trying to make the weapons lighter or will we see more recoil mitigation tricks like the vector and AN-94? 

From NK parade

Spoiler

Note that even if optics is present, there are no modern red dots or compact low magnification optical sights.

Best Korean answer to Worst Korean K-11

Still don't see controls or any buttons on this sight. Maybe they are on the left side of it. Their stand-alone GL sight have buttons on right sight and are visible.

Spoiler

21 hours ago, Lord_James said:

I apologize if you’ve already answered this question, but what do you think is the future of battle rifles and other “assault weapons”? Would they just keep trying to make the weapons lighter or will we see more recoil mitigation tricks like the vector and AN-94? 

Well, I think the Army is about to relearn some very silly lessons with NGSW, but one thing I doubt they'll regret is the M157 NGSW-FC.

Czech military replaced the SVD/SVDN-3 with a new CZ Bren 2 PPS DMR. The new rifle is chambered in 7.62x51. On the other hadn there are reports about some initial reliability issues with certain types of ammo. I don't know exact details. 

_dsc6190.jpg

signal-2022-01-20-110648_004.jpeg

1 minute ago, Beer said:

Pretty rare (and not produced anymore) CZ-807 with a volunteer soldier of VSU. 

Spoiler

img-1052.jpeg?fl=cro,0,0,1170,1059%7Cres

For sake of being clear, can you call Ukrainian army as UAF? Not many people here understand what VSU is.