Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

Enough debating JapCrap®, lets get back to laughing at /K/ shitposters

The Garand was a superior rifle to the G43. The rifleman was not. The average US GI was poorly trained conscript who used artillery and infantry support tanks as a crutch to make up for their poor performance.

The G43 wouldn't give away to the enemy that you have an empty chamber at the end of a magazine.

Also 10 rounds>8

G43 was superior

Before you get out your pitchforks, unlike tank forums, the wehraboo's are in the vast minority 

He is a good man. Nothing he said or did struck me as particularly odd or off-putting.

I understand it perfectly: His father literally wrote the book on Japanese small arms and passed his enthusiasm on to his son. Easy to drink the kool aid when your parents are serving it I suppose.

I think we can all identify with that.

I should have stated that differently. Yeah, his dad is the obvious source, but Ian's generally a fairly even-handed and rational fellow, and I'm not seeing any rational reason to be impressed by Japanese small arms.

Now, were they all junk like some think? Clearly not.

Personally my top ten bolt list for world war 2 would be:

1. Mosin

2. Enfleild

3. Kar/Ariska

MAS 36 is the best.

Sure, but I know very few people who let their nationality dictate which firearms they prefer. Lord knows neither of us do.

Neither of us have a whole platoon of relatives who fought the Nazis with M91s, either. I'd imagine he feels it's the top one because it's the one that's most meaningful to him.

MAS 36 is the best.

Neither of us have a whole platoon of relatives who fought the Nazis while using Mosin-Nagants, either. I'd imagine he feels it's the top one because it's the one that's most meaningful to him.

I can appreciate the fact that the rifle may be dear to Russians and have a certain cultural significance, but neither of those factors are relevant when determining the best of anything.

You would honestly say, with a straight face, that the Mosin Nagant was the best bolt action rifle used in World War II? Why?

You would honestly say, with a straight face, that the Mosin Nagant wasn't the best bolt action rifle used in World War II? Why?

You would honestly say, with a straight face, that the Mosin Nagant wasn't the best bolt action rifle used in World War II? Why?

- A very stubborn bayonet that is not easy to attach or remove properly

- Tendency to stick closed when hot, requiring a blunt object to open

- Barrels often drilled off center

- Barrels often not straight due to a lack of proper equipment

- Susceptible to rim lock despite design elements present to prevent it

- A magazine that protrudes from the bottom of the gun

- "Safety" that is comically difficult to operate

- Horrendous trigger even for a military rifle

Like I said, I can appreciate the cultural and historical significance of the firearm however.

Like I said, I can appreciate the cultural and historical significance of the firearm however.

Worth noting that at least a couple of those issues are normally the result of cosmoline not being thoroughly enough removed from the gun.

twist, and, pull

if you've successfully jacked off, you can successfully operate its bayonet

good thing the eastern front wasnt fought in north Africa

What type of ten gallon hickery is this, read about the eastern front sometimes, the red army didnt extactly have the best materials avaibable to manufacturer anything after having the country swept up the invasion. The fact that they produced a rifle that was accurate up to 500 meters and realible for the conditions is something of a mericale.

And from personal experience, im more accuarte with a mosin than any other bolt ive ever fired 

Being a mosin owner for 23 years, i have never experienced this, you know your supposed to clean your rifle right? 

what's wrong tovarisch? not elagant enough for you?

keep finger off trigger, weapon is safe

Whats wrong tovarisch? you want it to be more confortable, why dont you go ask the germans for some velvet finger guard's 

Rifle is fine

Rifle if anything, is damn good for what situation the country was in

"The rifle is bad because the country was in rough shape at the time" or "well, we did not have the equipment to make our rifles as good as the other folks" does not serve to strengthen the argument that the Mosin Nagant is good relative to competing designs.

While I have no reason to dispute your accuracy claims, my own trials with various Mosin rifles have left me very unsatisfied. I would not be so bold as to say it is definitively the worst WWII military bolt gun, but I personally would place it near the bottom of the hierarchy based on my own experience.