Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

Again, it's only post-1991/Gulf War/Tom Clancy fame that we get the narrative that the Soviets were incompetent clowns with crappy equipment. Post Vietnam and straight through the 1980s, the story was the Russkies had more stuff and often better. I posted it elsewhere but you had President Reagan speaking to the country on all three channels saying that the US had lost its qualitative edge on weapons. We knew we had it bad and pop culture at the time even reflected this belief.

I would like to just see a Joint Chiefs meeting where they each show up in casual clothes with like a sixpack and a few handles of Old Grandad, and are just like "Okay, truth injection time." Then they lock the door and start talking about Soviet unit structure and equipment.

Lemnitzer kills a Nat Sherman in two drags, leans back, cups his hands over his eyes and whispers:

"fuuuuuuuuuuuuck"

A .38 Special doesn't have the stopping power to take down armadillos.

https://m.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/08/01/texas-man-shoots-at-armadillo-but-the-varmint-got-him-back/?tid=HP_national

I know the story has been making the media rounds. Good thing he didn't use a .25 ACP, he'd have just made the critter angry...

Texans are built tougher than most. This is a fact. Go read a book. 

A .38 Special doesn't have the stopping power to take down armadillos.

https://m.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/08/01/texas-man-shoots-at-armadillo-but-the-varmint-got-him-back/?tid=HP_national

I know the story has been making the media rounds. Good thing he didn't use a .25 ACP, he'd have just made the critter angry...

1438564666067s.jpg

Who's dumb idea was it for a service rifle to only have a 12 inch barrel in the first place?

Did HK intentionally want us to not kill towelheads?

i doubt the germans of all people would stop anyone from committing genocide

Yeah, they only ever made prototypes.

Rumor has it that it was cancelled after the leaders of the project had an .....unpleasant meeting with Carbine Williams giving them all a blank stare followed by throwing a bloodied police badge on their desk.

I had never heard of the "Garand Tanker" before.  Interesting article.

They were fairly popular in the 60's, then experienced a resurgence in the late 70s~mid 80's.  You'll find a few examples that are fairly reliable but many are pretty much cobble jobs of dubious reliability and safety. Unless you know the example you're firing is safe, assume it will try and put the back of the receiver through your face.

If someone is selling a "tanker Garand" it's probably fake...

Hopefully it's not one they made themselves, at the minimum.  Best to avoid any and all unless one needs the parts.

Yes, I have bought terribly butchered Garands just for parts.

From what the article says, almost all the Garand tanker rifles are after market jobs, since it only existed in prototype and most of those were destroyed.  In general it seems that cutting down the barrel length of a full size rifle does not usually result in a particularly good weapon.  I suppose exceptions exist, K98 for example?  What say you knowledgeable fire arms peoples?