Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

The Mosin was a rifle that could hit its targets, and be produced in massive numbers under the most strenuous conditions for troops of various levels of training. I'd rate that as good. Also, I never get the trigger thing. The Mosin's always just felt like something you give more of a down-knuckle than a finger-tip to keep the rifle from moving while aiming. I guess it's the gun community's penchant for hyperbole, but the people who almost go to tears about how heinous the Mosin trigger is makes you wonder if some people have any muscular mass in their index finger.

Yeah, I hear ya Brick. I have gotten to the point where I feel like my Arsenal AK's trigger is delightfully crisp (it is) and light (it's over 8lbs).

I have repeatedly chosen rifles with heavy triggers (not on purpose, just how it turned out), and I dry fire a lot, so that's the result.

The Soviets won world war 2 don, that answers your question 

Well...yes.  Not sure it says much about the quality of rifle though.  Frankly, it seems to me that bolt action rifles were not all that important in WW2.  Whatever firepower was generated by the infantry came from machine guns and mortars and the majority of the killing was done by artillery.  I doubt the quality of any particular bolt action rifle compared to another was much of a factor in any WW2 battle. 

SO TACTICAL

-tMSNm9J4JU.jpg

That's it, that does it, someone literally made pimpmygun a real thing. (As "real" as airsoft can be I guess). I need a drink, or 5 and a few lines of coke preferably.

If anyone ever wondered why I have a pretty massive hatred for airsoft faggotry, this would be a pretty glaring example of why.

Back in the world of real guns, The Ammunition That Was Foretold has indeed come to be and now there's no going back:

ZpBdhsA.jpg

I actually have a small gripe, which is that Hornady seems to be reusing polymer bullet tips from their other VMax projectiles, so they don't quite match the bullet's contour. This would be a non-issue, mind you, if the bullet tips were very straight, but in fact they tend to be a little big crooked. Not a big deal, since I am not using this as long-range ammo, but it still explains why the BC figures for these bullets are so low. They'd be a lot higher if Hornady could actually mount the tips on straight.

I've never owned a Mosin but I've fired them a few times. I remain neutral towards them. They seem to be the perfect rifle what they needed to do during the time they needed to do it. 

If I could ask for any improvements on the Mosin, it'd be for a longer bolt handle or bent bolt handle. Just a little more leverage would be nice.