Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

United States Military Vehicle General: Guns, G*vins, and Gas Turbines

Tied

Quick question about the M1A2s AGT-1500 turbine engine and transmission:

Can the turbine engine be set up in a tranverse setup?  Or is it too long? 

Just thinking about how much more compact the tranverse setup is compared to a conventional one. And how the turbine always looks so long in the drawings.

Mvh

Xoon. 

Quick question about the M1A2s AGT-1500 turbine engine and transmission:

Can the turbine engine be set up in a tranverse setup?  Or is it too long? 

Just thinking about how much more compact the tranverse setup is compared to a conventional one. And how the turbine always looks so long in the drawings.

Mvh

Xoon. 

Yes, there was a trial program to do so.

If you were designing a new turbine from the ground up you could make it a lot smaller and more efficient for the same power than the AGT-1500 anyhow.  But if you were using the very newest turbine technology the engine would be quite spendy, so you'd need to use it in oodles of other vehicles to get some sort of economy of scale.  Ships (CODAG) and hovercraft seem like good candidates; as I understand it a turbine optimized for use in a tank would have crummy performance at higher altitudes, and so probably wouldn't be a great choice for aircraft.

Yes, there was a trial program to do so.

If you were designing a new turbine from the ground up you could make it a lot smaller and more efficient for the same power than the AGT-1500 anyhow.  But if you were using the very newest turbine technology the engine would be quite spendy, so you'd need to use it in oodles of other vehicles to get some sort of economy of scale.  Ships (CODAG) and hovercraft seem like good candidates; as I understand it a turbine optimized for use in a tank would have crummy performance at higher altitudes, and so probably wouldn't be a great choice for aircraft.

Thanks!

Generation IV Abrams Ammunition Rack

U5t3tmI.jpg

*36 Rounds in Turret/24 Tubes for HE Rounds
*Extended protection for longer HE Rounds
*Racks alone increase tank weight by 182 lbs
*Titanium Blowoff Panels result in no tank weight change

The Generation IV Abrams Ammunition Rack improves the ammunition handling safety aspects of the tank as well as increasing the high explosive round storage capacity by 50%. The Generation IV Abrams Ammunition Rack begins fielding in 2014.

http://www.wegmannusa.com/mbt-ammo-racks/
http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2012mcsc/Shrader.pdf
https://marinecorpsconceptsandprograms.com/programs/ground-combat-tactical-vehicles/abrams-m1a1-main-battle-tank-mbt

Came across this searching google.

7QJi9VX.jpg

If we only had good cameras to pack around back when I was in. I remember coming across an M1A1 that had slid down into a ravine and bound up its tracks so bad it couldn't move. They brought in 2 M88s to try to pull it out and couldn't drag it because of how bad tracks bound up and the sheer weight of the vehicle sitting at the angle it was at. The mechanics ended up tying a cutting torch to a series of tent poles, taping it down to stay on, and cutting through the tracks to release the tension and allow the 88s to pull it out. I distinctly remember that "boom" when the track snapped and I swear that tank lurched forward several feet.