Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Forum Improvements and Changelog

Collimatrix

February 6, 2017

The chat feature, while popular, was seriously misbehaving.  Furthermore, every time it misbehaved it would automatically send an email to Sturgeon's email.  So I've disabled chat until we can find a long-term fix.

This could take some digging.  The built-in chat function that comes with Invision 4.x will be disabled anyway on May of 2017.  So we'll have to find some sort of add-on chat software.

In the meantime, we still have the SH teamspeak.

• 2 weeks later...

February 27, 2017

I've been trying to figure out exactly how the embed function works, and what will work and what won't work.  Sadly, the exact limits of the functionality are not documented anywhere that I have found yet.

Embedding from Youtube, Facebook, Twitter and Imgur definitely does work.  I have also enabled Google Plus One, Digg, Del.icio.us, Reddit, Stumbleupon, and Pinterest, but haven't tested any of these yet.  Embedding from College Humor, GfyCat, Hulu, Instagram, SoundCloud, Ted, Spotify, Vimeo and Vine are also enabled by default, but I haven't checked all of these.  Possibly other things work too; I never turned on an option for embedding imgur albums, nor is it listed anywhere, but it does embed.

One thing I have discovered is that mobile.twitter URLs will not embed correctly.  This is easy to fix; just lop off the "mobile." part, and it will embed just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

March 10, 2017

Invision 4.1 added a bunch of features that are turned on by default, and I'm still figuring out what they all are and what they all do.  I am slowly going through the list and playing with them, not because I think they are the most amazing features in the world, but because I want to see what they are and how they work.

One that seems to have some value is acronym expansion.  The forum has a hidden list of acronyms that will automatically be underlined, and if you hover your cursor over them an expanded definition will pop up:

NERA

Another thing has supposedly changed, but I have not tested yet is that you should be able to add an unlimited number of tags to your posts.  Previously it had been limited to 10.

• 2 weeks later...

March 22, 2017

If you want to embed a video from a website that does not auto-embed into your post, here's how you do it:

1)  Hit the "source" button in the upper left hand corner of the editor.

2)  Paste the embed code for the video.

3)  Hit "source" again to toggle it off, and proceed to write the rest of your post.

If you just paste embed code in the normal editor mode it turns into horrible HTML vomit and doesn't embed properly.  I don't know why, it just does.

Whooooaaaahh.  Good catch, thank you for telling me that.

OK, sorry folks, ignore what I just said.

The "source" button only exists for administrators, and for good reason.  It isn't just limited to embedding videos, it allows posting of raw HTML of any sort.

Obviously, I am not the world's best administrator, but even I know that turning this forum into everyone's HTML sandbox is a bad idea.

I will check to see if there is a more fine-grained option in the Admin CP to allow embedding non-supported videos, but I doubt it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...