Sturgeon's House

So I got a request recently from {NAME REDACTED} as to whether we have a how-to guide or something for competitions. After a few moments of bitter, bitter laughter at the decade-plus of my life that I've spent cobbling together things that can maybe, sort-of, squint-your-eyes produce a facsimile of a realistic vehicle, I thought I'd share my process:

Hi {NAME REDACTED},

I'm going to post this on the forum, but thought I'd sent it to you first.

So I don't think there's a comprehensive how-to guide for anything at the moment, and all of us seem to prefer different approaches to modelling things. There are plenty of smaller tools out there for, for instance, calculating bullet velocities given a certain barrel length, bore diameter, shell weight and powder charge.

Generally the way I'd do something like a tank is to decide on the general layout and armament first, get some rough sketches done, and then start modelling the results. Normally I'll start with the fun bit: the main gun. For this you can either use an existing gun or else one of the afore-mentioned calculators + DeMarre and/or Longrods depending on the era in question. Once you know what size and configuration will work to hit parameters, you can then model that component individually and add it to the vehicle model. I do this for all the major components, using things like bulk densities for transmissions (to get the correct weight) and volumetric power outputs for given engine configurations (to get the right power output for a given size of engine). For some components, such as suspension and tracks, I either model and weigh the parts directly or else use available information to make good approximations for component weight. I work out the shape, configuration and volume of the rounds, and where they will be placed. I also use mannequins to model the crew compartments, although that's an area where I still make rookie mistakes (not having spent any real time in a turret and thus not knowing what might be important for a gunner, for instance, to have at hand). I use lots of reference material to sanity-check all my designs - mainly things like cutaways of real world vehicles and YouTube videos where people crawl around inside museum tanks.  

I use Sketchup a lot because I know it well and there are lots of parts publicly available if you want to, for instance, plonk a good-looking model of an M2 HMG on the turret roof. The best approach, however, would be to use something like Solidworks, because that allows you a fine degree of precision when it comes to estimating part masses and the like.

Anyway, once my initial model is done I tot up all the weights and start working on things like range, armour fraction, power-to-weight ratio etc. Often this is where whatever concept I had for my initial design breaks down completely and I have to go back to the drawing board. Generally I'm only happy after a few goes at the process, which having a quick workflow makes possible (a guy who spent two weeks making a good Solidworks model is not going to want to scrap it, whereas if I only take a few hours to lash something together I'm more amenable to starting over).

Some stuff I have to learn from scratch use things in ways they were never designed for - for a recent competition I decided that my tank absolutely had to have an ATGM, so I had to read up on control methods and laws and use hobby rocket modelling software to mock up the missiles and get an idea for their performance. For other stuff I've kludged together things like excel spreadsheets to help design shaped charges and composite armour packages.

I've been doing competitions like this for close on a decade now - ever since the World of Tanks days where the people that eventually started this forum would just sit and shitpost on the forums there. So I've gotten into a pretty comfortable groove ITO designing and I've got tools and approaches that work for me.

For planes, I'm also lucky enough that my dad has always been very into scale modelling and remote-control gliders, so I learned a couple of basic concepts at my dad's knee. So I'm decent at slapping together conventional aircraft designs with relatively benign flight characteristics. We're also lucky that there are a lot of available tools, rough simulation options and information out there which can be used to help the design process.

Ships I struggle a bit more with (not too much water where I live, so there have been fewer opportunities to experiment and learn directly, although I used to sail so at least I know the basics of ship handling) but thankfully there's also a wealth of information out there on how to design hulls and the like.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

All the best,

Toxn

Note: I was half-right - we definitely have supplementary info for aspiring pretend tank designers pinned to this very board.

Finally, I'm inviting our forum grognards and past winners to share their process for folk that haven't been here since before the last ice age, so that all can benefit.

• 3 months later...

Having very recently finished a design cycle, I can now offer insight into how I do things.
The first thing I do is look at the requirements, and the available options (whether limited by name or simply similar in performance), and try to figure out a first order approximation of what it is I'm hoping to get done. It's usually at this point that I sketch out the design in pencil and make a list of design features I intend to include in the design - this typically helps solidify the concept in my mind, as well as making sure I don't miss anything major along the way. I set myself certain design goals to guide myself along the way at this point, as they shape to an extent how I want the design to end up.
It's also at this stage that I tend to obsessively google ballistic charts, gun blueprints, and internal pics of relevant vehicles, for cribbing the designs off later.

This approach is very "front heavy", in that it requires you to have a very good image of what you want to get done in your mind before you ever really touch the CAD software, but it does mean that other than minor tweaks, you only CAD once. The Norman, Fox, .224 Rapier, and now BT-5-76/43 were all substantially first shots. Some details were ironed out as the design progressed (typically, precise dimensions are initially guessed and then adjusted as needed), but the concept, down to, say, the location of the extra periscope on the roof, was sketched out on day 0. This approach also means modelling is easier, as you are focused on carrying out the decisions of the design committee (you) and not making the decisions themselves.

As the design progresses, the day 0 first order approximations may turn out to be incorrect. The BT-5-76/43 was initially supposed to only have thick side-skirts along the fighting compartment, with thinner ones to the rear, but then I realized I had a sufficient mass budget to allow me to go wild, so I did.

As you go, it's important to keep whatever goals you set for yourself in mind. With a sufficiently blank slate, it's easy to get lost and start designing spaceships with All The Features TM, when you should be focusing on core capabilities. For the Norman, the core was a tank on par with late Centurions; for the BT-5-76/43, the core was "I do not want to touch the driveline or the turret ring in the process of improving this vehicle". Some features (like vision cupolas) are basically free improvements if you remember to include them; others (like fuckoff big guns) require substantial tradeoffs which must be viewed in the context of their effect on the bottom line of the design goal.

I tend to start from the turret, then the hull, then the armament, then systems, and finally suspensions and the like. The wonders of parametric modelling mean you can make a rough hull shape, design components to fit, and then rejigger the hull as required by the systems.

There's no good replacement for pencil sketches and barely legible scribbles on paper, in terms of focusing one's design intent into practice. CAD is just a way of translating that scribble into something others can understand too.

12 minutes ago, N-L-M said:

Having very recently finished a design cycle, I can now offer insight into how I do things.
The first thing I do is look at the requirements, and the available options (whether limited by name or simply similar in performance), and try to figure out a first order approximation of what it is I'm hoping to get done. It's usually at this point that I sketch out the design in pencil and make a list of design features I intend to include in the design - this typically helps solidify the concept in my mind, as well as making sure I don't miss anything major along the way. I set myself certain design goals to guide myself along the way at this point, as they shape to an extent how I want the design to end up.
It's also at this stage that I tend to obsessively google ballistic charts, gun blueprints, and internal pics of relevant vehicles, for cribbing the designs off later.

This approach is very "front heavy", in that it requires you to have a very good image of what you want to get done in your mind before you ever really touch the CAD software, but it does mean that other than minor tweaks, you only CAD once. The Norman, Fox, .224 Rapier, and now BT-5-76/43 were all substantially first shots. Some details were ironed out as the design progressed (typically, precise dimensions are initially guessed and then adjusted as needed), but the concept, down to, say, the location of the extra periscope on the roof, was sketched out on day 0. This approach also means modelling is easier, as you are focused on carrying out the decisions of the design committee (you) and not making the decisions themselves.

As the design progresses, the day 0 first order approximations may turn out to be incorrect. The BT-5-76/43 was initially supposed to only have thick side-skirts along the fighting compartment, with thinner ones to the rear, but then I realized I had a sufficient mass budget to allow me to go wild, so I did.

As you go, it's important to keep whatever goals you set for yourself in mind. With a sufficiently blank slate, it's easy to get lost and start designing spaceships with All The Features TM, when you should be focusing on core capabilities. For the Norman, the core was a tank on par with late Centurions; for the BT-5-76/43, the core was "I do not want to touch the driveline or the turret ring in the process of improving this vehicle". Some features (like vision cupolas) are basically free improvements if you remember to include them; others (like fuckoff big guns) require substantial tradeoffs which must be viewed in the context of their effect on the bottom line of the design goal.

I tend to start from the turret, then the hull, then the armament, then systems, and finally suspensions and the like. The wonders of parametric modelling mean you can make a rough hull shape, design components to fit, and then rejigger the hull as required by the systems.

There's no good replacement for pencil sketches and barely legible scribbles on paper, in terms of focusing one's design intent into practice. CAD is just a way of translating that scribble into something others can understand too.

So our processes are basically opposites of each other :lol:

6 hours ago, N-L-M said:

This is why you're a genius, and I'm not. I'm a very dedicated idiot.

13 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

This is why you're a genius, and I'm not. I'm a very dedicated idiot.

Don’t worry, you’re not alone in that field :) 

@Toxn, although you did say contest winners, I could provide some advice on what NOT to do when making the tanks, if wanted. 

I’ll add more context later, but here’s what (I have figured out) NOT to do when designing your tank/ gun/ boat/ thing: 

1. Don’t hyper fixate on one aspect or feature of your creation; get the idea into the rough area that you’re going for, then move on. Trying to get all those details perfect as you put them down will only slow you down, and drive you crazy. 

2. Don’t make your ideas too small; make your creation 50-100mm longer/ wider/ taller (for vehicles) than you think it needs to be, I’ve found that it’s easier to make a thing smaller than it is to make them bigger. Also, it allows for growth if you find an aspect lacking. 

3. Don’t be too “experimental” with it; fancy technology is always tempting to use, especially weight and space saving technologies to meet requirements in a competition. But are those technologies actually used in real world, production vehicles? Were there teething problems when it was implemented? Know the technology/ features you’re applying to your creation before you try to utilize them. 

I might think up more things when I finally get home, but those are the biggest things that held me back in the cascadia and californium competitions. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Toxn
      This is the competition entry thread.

Please submit your complete entries here (all entries will be judged complete when judging begins in the first week of November) and keep the other competition thread for discussion and chatter.

Once judging is complete I will make a post here to discuss the entries and announce a winner.

Best of luck!

Update: final submissions should be in hand by the 22nd of November 2020.
    • By SH_MM
      Found a few higher resolution photographs from the recent North Korean military parade. We didn't have a topic for BEST KOREAN armored fighting vehicles, so here it is.

New main battle tank, Abrams-Armata clone based on Ch'ŏnma turret design (welded, box-shaped turret) and Sŏn'gun hull design (i.e. centerline driver's position). The bolts of the armor on the hull front is finally visible given the increased resolution. It might not be ERA given the lack of lines inbetween. Maybe is a NERA module akin to the MEXAS hull add-on armor for the Leopard 2A5?

Other details include an APS with four radar panels (the side-mounted radar panels look a lot different - and a lot more real - than the ones mounted at the turret corners) and twelve countermeasures in four banks (two banks à three launchers each at the turret front, two banks à three launchers on the left and right side of the turret). Thermal imagers for gunner and commander, meteorological mast, two laser warning receivers, 115 mm smoothbore gun without thermal sleeve but with muzze reference system, 30 mm grenade launcher on the turret, six smoke grenade dischargers (three at each turret rear corner)

IMO the layout of the roof-mounted ERA is really odd. Either the armor array covering the left turret cheek is significantly thinner than the armor on the right turret cheek or the roof-mounted ERA overlaps with the armor.

The first ERA/armor element of the skirt is connected by hinges and can probably swivel to allow better access to the track. There is a cut-out in the slat armor for the engine exhaust. Also note the actual turret ring - very small diameter compared to the outer dimensions of the turret.

Stryker MGS copy with D-30 field gun clone and mid engine:

Note there are four crew hatches. Driver (on the left front of the vehicle), commander (on the right front of the vehicle, seat is placed a bit further back), gunner (left side of the gun's overhead mount, next to the gunner's sight) and unknown crew member (right side of gun's overhead mount with 30 mm automatic grenade launcher mounted at the hatch). The vehicle also has a thermal imager and laser rangefinder (gunner's sight is identical to the new tank), but no independent optic for the commander. It also has the same meteorological mast and laser warner receivers as the new MBT.

What is the purpose of the fourth crew member? He cannot realistically load the gun...

The vehicle has a small trim vane for swimming, the side armor is made of very thin spaced steel that is bend on multiple spots, so it clearly is not ceramic armor as fitted to the actual Stryker.

The tank destroyer variant of the same Stryker MGS copy fitted with a Bulsae-3 ATGM launcher.

Note that there is again a third hatch with 30 mm automatic grenade launcher behind the commander's position. Laser warning receivers and trime vane are again stand-out features. The sighting complex for the Bulsae-3 ATGMs is different with a large circular optic (fitted with cover) probably being a thermal imager and two smaller lenses visible on the very right (as seen from the vehicle's point of view) probably containing a day sight and parts of the guidance system.

Non line-of-sight ATGM carrier based on the 6x6 local variant of the BTR, again fitted with laser warning receivers and a trim vane. There are only two hatches and two windows, but there is a three men crew inside.

There are a lot more photos here, but most of them are infantry of missile system (MLRS' and ICBMs).
    • By Toxn
      You are an engineer at an Italian locomotive and tractor-making company in early 1943. The writing is on the wall for the Italian army in North Africa, with a lot of equipment having been lost and the enemy on the brink of kicking the axis out of Tunisia and then heading across the Mediterranean. In short, things are looking more than a little desperate. 

However, all is not lost. Il Duce himself has stepped in and, with the assistance of the Germans, procured both some of their finest captured vehicles for use in the upcoming defense of the homeland. Since many of these vehicles have been... gently used, and the existing firms like Ansaldo are flooded with orders, your firm has been asked to work on them in order to bring them up to the standards demanded by modern warfare. 

In addition to these vehicles, the Germans have also graciously agreed to sell weapons from their existing stock of captured equipment, as well as providing production licenses for some of their more modern equipment. You have also been given permission to work with local weapons manufacturers in order to modify existing artillery to suit your needs. Italian automotive and engine manufacturers are similarly available to help. Finally; your firm's experience in locomotives and tractors means that you can modify hulls and put together turrets and turret rings. You can also produce castings (although not very large ones) and weld armour plates.

Your job, which you have no choice but to accept, is to choose a vehicle from among the captured stock being offered for sale, and propose a series of plausible fixes in order to give it a fighting chance against the American and British equipment currently in the field (specifically light tanks and light anti-tank weapons).

It is not foreseen that any of these vehicles will be able to plausibly take on modern medium or heavy designs head-on. Instead, what is wanted are general, implementable improvements to the characteristics of the chosen vehicle. These improvements should be aimed at making these vehicles more useful in the initial battles which are foreseen taking place against airborne and landing forces, in general cooperation with infantry, and as scouts.

The submission should include one or more drawings or blueprints (at least a side view of the vehicle, but preferably a 3-point view and isometric view), a description of the modified vehicle, a description of how the modifications would be accomplished and a description of how the modifications would improve the design overall. The text of the submission should short and descriptive rather than long and exhaustive, and should not exceed 1000 words in total. Images may be photoshopped using existing pictures.

Judging will be done on the basis of plausibility and effectiveness, with innovative solutions being encouraged in order to get the most bang for buck out of the base vehicle. Beyond implementation, the fixes should prioritise combat effectiveness while also improving reliability, crew ergonomics, communication, mobility and protection as much as possible.

The foreign vehicles available for modification are:
      Renault R35 (already in service) Hotchkiss H35/39 Somua S35 (already in use for training purposes) T-26 BT-5 T-28 (only available in very small numbers, so need to be extremely effective) Panzer II Ausf.C  
      The foreign weapons immediately available for purchase are:
      15mm ZB-60 25mm Puteaux and Hotchkiss 3.7cm KPÚV vz. 34/Pak 34 (t) 3.7cm ÚV vz. 38/KwK 38(t)
      3.7cm Pak 36 4.0 cm Pak 192 (e) 45mm M1937 (53-K) 4.7cm KPÚV vz. 38/Pak 38 (t) 47mm APX 7.5cm Pak 97/38 7.62 cm F.K.297(r) and  7.62 cm PaK 39(r) 8.8cm Raketenwerfer 43  
      Licenses are also available for the manufacture of foreign engines (Maybach HL62 TRM, Maybach HL120 TRM and Praga Typ TNHPS/II), periscopes, sights, radios, cupolas and automotive subassemblies. All foreign vehicle weapons, subassemblies and components are available for reverse engineering and manufacture.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This competition hasn't been finalised, and is waiting on your input! Vote to participate by giving this topic a 'controversial' (grapefruit-induced tears being the only currency of value), and if we get enough participants we'll pull the trigger. Ask any questions you want below, and when/if the competition goes forwards I will make a new thread for entries.

Edit: thanks to excellent feedback, the competition proposal has been somewhat edited. If you want an idea of what my mindset is here, read up on the battle of Gela (bearing in mind that the wikipedia entry is shite) and ask how much better the counter-attack could have gone if the Italian vehicles had been equipped with radios and had the ability to move faster than jogging speed.

Edit 2: since I failed to mention this above - this is not a one-man, one-entry sort of competition (although I'm not keen on the ten-men, one entry approach either).
      If you have two good ideas then you can submit twice. The only rules are not to test my patience and to keep it within the bounds of good taste.
    • By Sturgeon
      We're holding a smaller, lower-effort competition while things simmer down enough for me to reboot the Texas competition to allow more people to participate. Those of you that choose to participate, enjoy.

This competition is intended to be a brief 1-2 week long effort which should require only a handful of man-hours to complete, depending on skill level. Unlike a proper competition, this has one person who's judge, jury, and executioner (me!), to allow the maximum number of competitors. Consider this a brief interlude before the reboot of the Texas competition (which is likely to pick up more or less where it left off). Accordingly, there will be relatively little fluff and editorializing. Contestants will be given a basic setting and a set of requirements with a description of the unique mission needing to be solved. Beyond that, contestants will be responsible for filling in the gaps on their own, to whatever degree they see fit.

Programs required: Solid modeling software, ammunition load development software, ballistic calculator, performance estimators (provided)

Expected man-hours: 5-10

Deliverables required: Image of loaded cartridge and projectile, cutaway or exploded view of projectile or projectile + cartridge, cartridge data sheet, bill of materials (including all component masses and materials), ballistic charts (not required to be in graph form), completed performance estimate sheets, any supplementary materials the contestant chooses to provide.

The competition will be largely conducted via the SH discord, if you're interested please PM me for a link if you don't already have one.

BEGIN FLUFF

After the War, the Great Plains became virtually cut off from the rest of the former United States. Governments fractured into small polities based around towns and cities, as local populations realized they no longer were enfranchised as part of a larger economy and logistical network. State governments began to be seen overwhelmingly as distant meddlers who offered nothing in return for their interference in local politics. The area around the Black Hills was no exception. The states of South Dakota and Wyoming disintegrated quickly once the Federal Government of the United States no longer took a direct role in state affairs. A loose government formed around Rapid City, supported by strong manufacturing jobs, traders, and a large ammunition plant that could support paramilitary operations ranging around the Black Hills region and securing the roads that remained passable. Due to this, their influence expanded well into Eastern Wyoming and north to Southeast Montana and North Dakota. The emerging Dakota Union became the primary, if thinly spread, force in the northern plains region. Their most famous agents would be the Sioux Scouts.

Unlike most pre-war infantry forces, which operated as part of large combined arms units in a highly tiered structure, the Scouts are highly independent light infantry. Often, Sioux Scouts will travel hundreds of miles unsupported in units as small as pairs, or even the occasional single Scout. While on patrol, they are responsible for their own sustenance and upkeep, foraging for food and shooting with their rifles what they need to survive. For the moment, there are no other organized military forces in the region, and Scouts are tasked primarily with maintaining contact, trade, and awareness of the peoples living inside the Northern Great Plains, and the hills to the West. As part of their duties, they are sometimes called to settle disputes, mete out justice, or are even permanently stationed in affiliated regions to maintain law and order. In times of war, they function in larger units as an army to protect Black Hills from incursion, but this hasn't happened in many decades. There is no distinction between "officers" and "enlisted" in the Sioux Scouts, but there is a basic hierarchy, and Scout pairs will often have a subordinate and a superior. In times of greater trouble, Scouts are also expected to marshal and lead local forces in the local defense. Generally, Sioux Scouts travel on foot or on horseback. They are substantially made up of Indian peoples, although any residents of the Dakota Union may join the all-volunteer force.

Currently, the Sioux Scouts are armed with a motley assortment of both manually-operated and semiautomatic rifles in various calibers. The Sioux Scouts have requested a new semiautomatic rifle to replace these, and it has been determined that they require a new caliber to go along with it, hopefully phasing out the assorted legacy calibers in the process. Thanks to the plant in Rapid City, this is a very feasible request for the Dakota Union (and helps sustain jobs in its largest city). You are an engineer at the Rapid City plant, tasked with creating a report on what the new caliber's characteristics should be. Resources, testing facilities, and reams of research are made available to you. The year is 2221. Get to work.

END FLUFF

The new round must:
      1. Produce no less than 700 ft-lbs at 600 yards.
      2. Penetrate twenty-four 1/2" pine boards at 600 yards (equivalent to a lethal penetrating shot on a quartered buffalo).
      3. Drop no more than 96 inches at 600 yards (2.6in sight height, 100yd zero, 59.0F temperature, 29.92in Hg pressure).
      4. Drift no more than 36 inches at 600 yards (2.6in sight height, 100yd zero, 59.0F temperature, 29.92in Hg pressure, 10mph 90 degree crosswind).
      5. All performance requirements must be met at 200 ft/s below the spec velocity, except the 600 yard energy requirement, which can be met at 500 yards at -200 ft/s, instead.
      6. Produce pressure no greater than 52,000 CUP (brass cased) or 50,000 CUP (steel cased).
      7. Use a projectile composed only of any combination of the following: Copper alloy, bronze alloy, lead alloy, iron alloy, steel alloy, tin alloy, nickel alloy, and/or zinc alloys. Titanium, tungsten, aluminum, magnesium, and other exotic metals are not allowed.
      8. Minimum magazine capacity must be 20, with a stack height no greater than 5 inches.
      9. Cartridge overall length may not exceed 2.8 inches.
      10. Cartridge recoil from a 10lb weapon may not exceed 12 ft-lbs.
      11. Cartridge must meet performance requirements from a 22" barreled weapon.
      12. Cartridge must cost as little as possible.

You are provided with calculators to use to estimate these values for the competition. For trajectory, drift, and energy, you must use JBM Ballistics calculator here. Internal ballistics must be estimated via the Powley Computer (just check the pressure box and enter 52,000 CUP for brass or 50,000 CUP for steel). Also please see my guidelines for modeling steel cases here. The pine penetration value must be calculated with this spreadsheet, and the recoil energy with this spreadsheet. For the purposes of this competition, cost per round is determined solely by the materials used. Please reference the material cost sheet here. If you do not already have a solid modeling program, you can use Google SketchUp for free. @Toxn has a lot of experience with it, you might ask him.