Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Fucking NERA everywhere

OK, idiot question time.  What is the distinction between NERA and NxRA?

My idiot guess is that NxRA includes other elements (eg: the aramid capsule for the rubber) which pulls the operating principle away from pure NERA a bit.

But that is, as I said, an idiot guess.

OK, idiot question time.  What is the distinction between NERA and NxRA?

Simple answer:

NERA - Non Energetic Reactive Armour (1)

NxRA - Non Explosive Rective Armour (2)

In (1) case you have layer which "transfer" energy from front plate to backplate -and this backplate is moving and damage SC jet or penetrator rod. Exmaple of sucht layer is rubber in T-72B armour or in Haji armour (T-55 ENIGMA). In NERA armour this layer is passive, not active - it only transfer energy between metal layers. 

In (2) case you have layer whit is non explosive but reactive - for example GAP mixed whit rubber or GAP+CACo. This layer is not explosive but it change its volume during transfering energy from first to second metal layer of whole "NxRA armour packed" -so BOTH thin metal paltes start to move and both metal plates are damaging SC jet or  penetrator. And whole moving of this metal plates is mucht faster then in NERA armour - couse this "booster" form changing layer volume.

• 1 month later...

M1 hull front armor?

No, it's part of germant patent of the "special armour" for Leopard-2AV hull armour. It's slighty diffrent then Burlington armour themself, but it's NERA indeed. If You look close you will see that layout is exatly teh same as in polish smiple NERA from previous pages:

yd73zzX.jpg4

198EVoU.jpg?1

Long time lurker, just wanted to thank you guys for this thread. Working on a self-designed MBT, and this was probably the easiest-to-find source for 'composite' armor construction. I honestly thought for a time that these tanks were just covered in these thick sandwiches of ceramics and metal. >_>

Thanks a ton for the reference material.

Welcome to SH :)

Glad you found the thread to be useful. There's whole loads of other useful and interesting stuff stashed around here, be sure to check it out (the "greatest hits" threads are a good place to start).

Oh yeah, I very quickly discovered the Soviet Tanks thread. Information on suspension and drivetrain pretty closely matched what I already had from Jane's ToT, with a few alterations once I took more modern systems into account.

It was mostly the armor that wasn't making sense, though. The kg/m² of the arrays I had was way too high, and it showed with a projected weight of 80 tons. NERA makes much more sense given RL tank weights, also brings my design down to under 65 tons (haven't modeled and calculated all the replacement modules yet, so no exact numbers).

On the subject of NERA, though, is there any real reason why the arrays are so different in design? Is one arrangement more capable of resisting certain types of penetrators than another?

Oh yeah, I very quickly discovered the Soviet Tanks thread. Information on suspension and drivetrain pretty closely matched what I already had from Jane's ToT, with a few alterations once I took more modern systems into account.

It was mostly the armor that wasn't making sense, though. The kg/m² of the arrays I had was way too high, and it showed with a projected weight of 80 tons. NERA makes much more sense given RL tank weights, also brings my design down to under 65 tons (haven't modeled and calculated all the replacement modules yet, so no exact numbers).

On the subject of NERA, though, is there any real reason why the arrays are so different in design? Is one arrangement more capable of resisting certain types of penetrators than another?

Welcome to SH!

You've probably already seen this, but these topics might be interesting to read:

http://sturgeonshouse.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/1085-design-contest-supplement-typical-weights-in-a-modern-tank/

http://sturgeonshouse.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/1080-competition-a-modern-medium-afv/

Whoa, thanks! I'm a little disappointed that I lurked so long I missed a design comp, but there's no way I could have gotten a full statblock + model done in that period.

My MBT model's going on a year old, and I'm just now getting to detailing major parts. >_>

(Is there a preferred thread for more off-topic/casual conversation like this? Feels spammy to be posting this stuff here.)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Chinese or Pakistani composite armor, image made by Militarysta

MxRTU3H.png

Based on this image from brochure made by Heavy Industry Taxila (HIT):

slide_8.jpg

HIT produces the Al Khalid (VT1(A) tank) for Pakistan, but the CAD model at the left seems to be a Type 96A/B, Type 99G or MBT-3000 tank. HIT is trying to produced the MBT-3000 for the Pakistani Army as Al Hyder MBT... so maybe it's based on the MBT-3000.

And here older version, from Type.85-II and 85-III and very very erly Type-96:

i1kwEQh.png

From here:

NwW4S44.jpg

And Type 85 erly armour:

Vkinlhi.jpg

y6Fi5gy.jpg

XUoXB2e.jpg

To be honest - I would like sitting in old T-72B (Ob.184) then in those chineese tanks above - those armour modules have huge weak zones couse it's NERA placment inside...

As I understend - this was relesed to public in china so in Type-96A and newest tanks there must be completly diffrent armour configuration.