Sturgeon's House
Jeeps_Guns_Tanks

The M4 Sherman Tank Epic Information Thread.. (work in progress)

41 minutes ago, EnsignExpendable said:

I wonder why the hull lifting loops are highlighted, but the turret ones are not.

Just a guess, but possibly a byproduct of when it was set on that concrete pad.

All the 76mm M4A2s were Fisher,  and maybe all the large hatch 75mm tanks too, but not all small hatch M4A2s like that one were from Fisher.  Most small hatch M4A2s went to the UK if I recall right. 

Pedantically, Stansell and Laughlin assert that Pressed Steel manufactured "21 examples of the 76mm HVSS [M4A2] in the second quarter of 1945." But Fisher made upwards of 68% of M4A2s of all types, so Soviet tankers would have at least a very good chance of seeing vehicles from this factory.

10 minutes ago, DogDodger said:

Pedantically, Stansell and Laughlin assert that Pressed Steel manufactured "21 examples of the 76mm HVSS [M4A2] in the second quarter of 1945." But Fisher made upwards of 68% of M4A2s of all types, so Soviet tankers would have at least a very good chance of seeing vehicles from this factory.

I, of course, defer to the masters on that one. 

Here is a picture of a M4A3 in Kawkawlin Michigan (about a two and half hour drive from me) with an interesting gun mantlet.  I guess this was a conversion to add the direct telescopic sight to the gun mantlet.  For some reason, someone has stuck a tube into the gun sight hole.  According to Son of Sherman, most of these conversions stayed stateside and the early model sherman tanks in Europe just ended up getting an entirely new gun and mount to update them to the new standard.

m4a3-kawkawlin-2018-78w-1.jpg

Next week I am driving to Lansing Michigan to visit a friend.  We plan to visit the Moist Towelette Museum at Michigan State.  

1 minute ago, EnsignExpendable said:

Maybe they thought it was a machinegun hole and put a fake MG barrel in there?

That's my thought as well.  It's pretty common on these display vehicles to see homemade attempts at recreating missing machine gun barrels, sometimes with comical results. 

https://yuripasholok.livejournal.com/10327126.html

https://www.facebook.com/udalostibrno/posts/1358930817507222

Very interesting project, dedicated to the fighting in Brno, which occurred in the spring of 1945. Among those who liberated this Czech city, were M4A2 (76) W from the 46th Guards Tank Brigade of the 9th Mechanized Corps. By the time of joining fighting in the city, the brigade had only a dozen tanks, which, incidentally, made a very serious contribution to the victory. Tanks and their crews entered the very places where they fought, but already in the streets of modern Brno.

7793818_original.jpg

Spoiler

7794103_original.jpg

7794316_original.jpg

7794666_original.jpg

Hmm, I'd have to go to Sherman Minutia or Son of a Sherman to identify that one, I lean towards M4, and I bet the "quick fix" upgrades were installed in Europe, they look clunky. 

On 4/28/2018 at 9:57 PM, EnsignExpendable said:

Hehe, cock

bIar1Dg.png

Funny/interesting: I came across this thread (and forum) when looking for information on the M4A4 to build a model of exactly this tank a while ago, and by now have managed to read it to the end and find … the tank that started me reading here in the first place.

It’s indeed a Sherman V, fitted with (the lower section of) the deep-wading trunks at the back of the hull. I could post more pics of this tank, if there’s interest, and of the other four (one Sherman V and three Crabs) that were close to it, and remained there for several years after the war.