Jump to content
Sturgeon's House

Recommended Posts

On 12/27/2017 at 9:54 PM, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

 

 

I like that title, you will have to give us a review of Mechanized Juggernaut, it sure sounds interesting.

 

It's been a while since I've read it, but I recall liking it. If you want to know about the number, sources, and use of horses in the WW2 Heer, to my knowledge this is the book to get. It's a quick read, too, at 133 pp of text (including 10 pp of pictures in the middle).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EnsignExpendable said:

Two new books came in. Kolomiets' KV-1 book needs no introduction, and while I have no idea who this Sorokin guy is, the reviews for this book were good.

 

kXUGnjI.jpg?1

The one on the M30 122mm should be ~4" thick, if it has to cover everyone that ever used it in anger.

Maybe the guns based on the French 75mm have a slightly broader diaspora, but not by much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw The Tanks of TOG by Andrew Hills thanks to a blurb on Walter's blog, and finished it a couple days ago. It was a much more sympathetic review of the program, and of Sir Albert Stern in particular, than I had been expecting, and therefore provided an interesting perspective. Both Fletcher in The Great Tank Scandal and Beale in Death by Design report that Stern got "The Old Gang" of WW1 tank designers together on his own volition, and they then thrust themselves upon the War Office with meddling and wasteful efforts. Smithers in Rude Mechanicals and Chamberlain and Ellis in British and American Tanks of World War Two posit that Stern et al were first approached by the War Office, whose specifications then they worked toward. Hills agrees with the latter two, saying the original rhomboid turretless TOG was not what the designers wanted, but what the War Office had demanded after work on a turreted tank had already begun. The travails of The Old Gang are reported in great detail, as well as the creation and modifications to the TOG tanks themselves. Assertions that Ricardo had a powerful diesel engine ready for manufacture, and that the TOG designs could have been the most heavily armored and armed British tanks to take the field (with, for example, the 17 pounder or more powerful guns and armor eclipsing the heavy Churchills) years ahead of the Centurion or Challenger--or even before the Churchill was reliable enough to not require an apology letter from Vauxhalls going out with every example--were certainly intriguing. Hills alleges that personality conflicts played a great role in the stymieing of TOG, and while this charge may be a bit overhyped, the work and designs that The Old Gang came up with do seem impressive compared with the contemporary state of British tank development, and also seem strangely ignored when projects like the A33 assault tank were floundering.

 

The editing could use some work, as there were instances of repeating paragraphs, confusing sentence structures, and ideas restated shortly after their introduction, but overall I consider this a worthwhile read.

 

JMNHiAc.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the documents I found in the Canadian archives refer to them as "the old group" rather than "gang". The TOGs don't come up a lot, but there is one instance where the TOG2 is considered alongside the A30 as a heavy gun carrier, although it is quickly discarded. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Loooser do you perhaps know some books about Russian/Soviet Armor(especially modern) which were translated from Russian to English  

i have some(the green ones about T-26,T-34,T-80 and JS tanks) 

and I’ve organised me some pdf but they are in Russian and I really would like to know what is written! 

Thx in advance 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2018 at 11:22 AM, EnsignExpendable said:

All the documents I found in the Canadian archives refer to them as "the old group" rather than "gang". The TOGs don't come up a lot, but there is one instance where the TOG2 is considered alongside the A30 as a heavy gun carrier, although it is quickly discarded. 

Hills does make it sound like certain important Canadians were interested, and "Group" does indeed replace "Gang" in some Canadian reports. Brigadier F.F. Worthington "had in fact not only attended the firing trial in Lincoln of the TOG-2 turret, but was the first man to fire the 20cwt. AA gun in the turret." A Canadian Colonel F.F. Fulton wrote a report on 30 April 1943 recommending the hydraulic drive system of TOG-1 see further development as it allowed the vehicle to be steered with "phenomenal ease." There are other mentions of Canadian thoughts in the book, but it is maddeningly unindexed, and Canadian reports are something I didn't make my own pagination notes on. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just for fun, have any of you fine fellows ever come across a book called For Want Of A Gun: The Sherman Tank Scandal of WWII? I'm surprised to find no mention of it via the forum search bar. The author, Christian DeJohn, was doing the rounds and posting links to his book in the comments section of various WW2 tank-related sites, including the Sherman Tank Site and TankAndAFVNews, sometimes posting under a different username and talking of the book as if he wasn't the author. Allegedly this book is just a rehash of a failed master's thesis the author submitted for Temple. He didn't receive a degree, and sued Temple, winning $1 in damages toward his remaining $49,999 of student debt.

 

The Reception:

http://www.amps-armor.org/SiteReviews/ShowReview.aspx?ID=4114

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170890

https://www.reddit.com/r/ShitWehraboosSay/comments/6dlt5b/for_want_of_a_gun_the_sherman_tank_scandal_of/

 

The Recriminations:

https://temple-news.com/student-wins-1-in-free-speech-suit/

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jamby said:

Just for fun, have any of you fine fellows ever come across a book called For Want Of A Gun: The Sherman Tank Scandal of WWII? I'm surprised to find no mention of it via the forum search bar. The author, Christian DeJohn, was doing the rounds and posting links to his book in the comments section of various WW2 tank-related sites, including the Sherman Tank Site and TankAndAFVNews, sometimes posting under a different username and talking of the book as if he wasn't the author. Allegedly this book is just a rehash of a failed master's thesis the author submitted for Temple. He didn't receive a degree, and sued Temple, winning $1 in damages toward his remaining $49,999 of student debt.

 

The Reception:

http://www.amps-armor.org/SiteReviews/ShowReview.aspx?ID=4114

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170890

https://www.reddit.com/r/ShitWehraboosSay/comments/6dlt5b/for_want_of_a_gun_the_sherman_tank_scandal_of/

 

The Recriminations:

https://temple-news.com/student-wins-1-in-free-speech-suit/

 

 

 

 

Yeah, he posted a bunch of comments on his book for a 4th time about a month ago, and he seems to have found every obscure semi-history related forum out there to post the same cookie cutter comments. I've been watching Amazon for a used copy, cause there is no way I'm paying full price for a book I know is trash, by a person who seems actually borderline crazy, or at least a huge asshole no one can stand. I'm somewhat surprised he never showed up here in the Sherman thread or this one. 

 

 

P.S. welcome to the forums! You will fit right in!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

T_A and I got to look at a copy at a military show last summer.  It's a very pretty book.  Didn't have time to read the content.  We discussed it over at Tank.net a while ago, the general opinion was that no one was very excited about it.  I'd like to have a copy, just to satisfy my curiosity.  Right now I am editing a video of four of my least favorite tank books.  If I had a copy of the DeJohn book, I probably could have added a book to the video.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

T_A and I got to look at a copy at a military show last summer.  It's a very pretty book.  Didn't have time to read the content.  We discussed it over at Tank.net a while ago, the general opinion was that no one was very excited about it.  I'd like to have a copy, just to satisfy my curiosity.  Right now I am editing a video of four of my least favorite tank books.  If I had a copy of the DeJohn book, I probably could have added a book to the video.

 

 

 

 

Cool, I'll do a post about your video when you get it up, it sounds fun.  Is that terrible Wittman biography one of your pics?  I own this book and can confirm it's trash, and from my time as a wehraboo, shamefully. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

 

 

Cool, I'll do a post about your video when you get it up, it sounds fun.  Is that terrible Wittman biography one of your pics?  I own this book and can confirm it's trash, and from my time as a wehraboo, shamefully. 

 

 

I don't have that one, so it's not on my list.  I really considered adding "Tank Girls" to the list, but I figured my wife might watch the video and be irritated.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

Man, who was the target audiance for that book lol!

 

I have no idea, but since I found it online for like a dollar, I had to buy it.  Its terrible.  The girls and the tanks both look pretty embarrassed to be involved with it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • By Marsh
      Hi People,
       
      Richard Ogorkiewicz's new and rather excellent book, 100 years: evolution of the tank, is currently going dirt cheap (99p) on UK Amazon as a Kindle book. 
       
      Sorry, I don't know the situation in North America or Europe, you will need to check your local Amazon.
       
      cheers
      Marsh
    • By Walter_Sobchak
      Since I have a new interview with Ken Estes available on my site, I thought I would start a thread on the topic.  This is the place to post links to interviews with tankers and/or authors.
       
      Marines Under Armor: An Interview with Kenneth Estes
       
       
      Here are my older pieces:
       
      A Military, Political and Global History of Armoured Warfare: An Interview with Alaric Searle
       
      Patton versus the Panzers: An Interview with Steven Zaloga
       
      Tank Warfare on the Eastern Front: An Interview with Robert Forczyk
       
      Germany’s Panzer Arm in WWII: An Interview with R. L. DiNardo
       
      Q & A with Jim Warford about Soviet/Russian Armor
       
      Interview with Harry Yeide – Part 1: US Armor in World War II
       
      Interview with Harry Yeide – Part 2: Fighting Patton
       
      Interview with Steven Zaloga
    • By Walter_Sobchak
      I declare this book to be required reading. 
       
      Military Metallurgy by Alistair Doig.
       
      download here.
×