Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

Herp derp

IXhKqp6.jpg

From what I've heard about the Mosin, you can at least be assured that the fucker who shot you with one had to do some hard labour to do so.

I'm all about spree killers having to get off their asses and work to murder people {starts mumbling about kids these days, no work ethic etc.}

Well it's certainly an improvement over the INSAS.

Whenever I hear/read the acronym INSAS, I have to remind myself that it isn't New Wave band INXS.

I'm not sure which one of the two would win in the fight. But with a few shots of gin and tonic I might be able to come up with an argument...

Also, if one must need Open Carry a rifle in order to make a political statement, Open Carry of a Mosin in that manner, slung over his shoulder with the bolt open is about as responsible as you can get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=3&v=Jv-woYIJy3k

"As you know, today has started "Arms and Hunting 2015" expo. The largest exhibition of civilian weapons in Russia held in Moscow's Gostiny Dvor. This year it takes place from 1 to 4 October."

Konstantin's photos:

m31vd3pA87M.jpg

gHSWl2MX9tg.jpg

mUKVfdfjYrk.jpg

nuTumhG0GSU.jpg

ZGaqlN-swuQ.jpg

rtuQcJq5_MY.jpg

Ewww... HK

ZT72lpPLH-A.jpg

48KQl8il8sU.jpg

VbPrpUhYPBM.jpg

kzzjQPIy108.jpg

QeA9_pF5Uos.jpg

Monstrous photo-dump, LoooSeR.

Some interesting stuff in there too.

Lazarev's photos of OTs-14 Groza

yuDvOlV7zrw.jpg

I spy a new stock design on the PP-2000.  What caliber is that groza with the straight magazine?  It doesn't look like the 9x39 magazine pattern (which has the oval reinforcement stampings), nor is it a 7.62x39 AK mag.

Our SFs weapons. A lot of Zenit-made stuff, including their new PT-3 stock, Perst-3 and -4.

PnY5QUuBYAE.jpg

P1d72f_0NI4.jpg

I continue to be surprised at the use of the SR-2M.  Isn't the unusual ammunition a logistical problem?

And behold, the forbidden love of an SR-3M and MARS sight!

98PfCSIU7W0.jpg

The rarely-seen OTs-02 Kiparis.

7aezEDh8WLo.jpg

uAfAHYwXafU.jpg

xETEbdDVsgU.jpg

The Vostok looks like a CZ-75 clone, but I'm not sure.  I would love to get my hands on a Viking.  There are some slick production shortcuts in that design.

WxVuk0tGDys.jpg

8BtUoROYOPw.jpg

I had to look this one up; apparently MP-654K is a CO2 pellet pistol.

Monstrous photo-dump, LoooSeR.

Some interesting stuff in there too.

I spy a new stock design on the PP-2000.  What caliber is that groza with the straight magazine?  It doesn't look like the 9x39 magazine pattern (which has the oval reinforcement stampings), nor is it a 7.62x39 AK mag.

I continue to be surprised at the use of the SR-2M.  Isn't the unusual ammunition a logistical problem?

And behold, the forbidden love of an SR-3M and MARS sight!

The rarely-seen OTs-02 Kiparis.

The Vostok looks like a CZ-75 clone, but I'm not sure.  I would love to get my hands on a Viking.  There are some slick production shortcuts in that design.

I had to look this one up; apparently MP-654K is a CO2 pellet pistol.

Groza mag looks like 9A-91 mag.

9a-91_2.jpg

In SFs, 9x21 are not much of a problem, i guess.

I saw Kiparis plenty of times. :)  

Toxn on gerrperrscherrs

Holy shit, it's almost like the ability to extrapolate obvious trends is a superpower denied to members of that forum.

Can you imagine how much of a tool you'd feel like if, as a small arms developer, you had your FULL POWER GPC BATTLE RIFLE all ready to go and then saw this thing hoving rapidly into view?

Toxn on gerrperrscherrs

They have the capacity for multi-missile guidance and weigh under a kilogram.

Fuck rifles, just load up your section as follows: one dude with a grenade launcher, one dude with an LMG, one dude with an ATGM and one dude to hump ammo and oversee the process. Maybe spread a few PDWs around as needed. 

Your little section now has the capacity to take on pretty much anything on land out to two kilometres.

Yeah, but Toxn, the guys with PDWs won't feel like they're really participating, and that will make them sad. To compensate, they'll have to hand out participation awards, and those will be so heavy that they'll outweigh the benefit of the fancy 40mm missiles. See? A GPC is the only viable solution!

On a more serious note, what sort of ammo is ideal for an LMG is an interesting subject, as you need something both punchy and light. There's certainly an argument there that the squad's ammunition could be organized around the LMG (sorta like what zee Jermins did in Dubya Dubya Too), but A.) the US Army has never really thought that way, considering the rifleman the most important asset instead, and B.) I'm not at all convinced that a belt fed gun isn't supported just fine by PDW-esque weapons firing lighter unbelted ammo in a different caliber.

So beyond that, maybe you ask yourself what the purpose of a designated marksman is, whether you really need him, and if you do, what you really need his rifle to be capable of.

There are answers to these questions, but the problem as a whole is only answered holistically, and with a considerable amount of additional and rigorous research... Which are not things the GPC crowd seems to like discussing at the moment.