Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

One oddity about the double barreled ZB-26 modification above is they actually chambered it in 7.62x39mm

I've actually seen it in person at the Militia museum, but I don't know if it's designed to take AKM magazines or how they intended for it to be fed.

Tough choice. I went for Russo-Japanese War

"Vote for the book you would like us to publish

1. CBT: Prussian Infantryman vs Austrian Infantryman: 1740–63
  2. CBT: US Rifleman vs British Redcoat: War of 1812
  3. CBT: Maori Warrior vs British Soldier: 1845–70
  4. CBT: French Soldier vs Prussian Soldier: Franco-Prussian War 1870–71
  5. CBT: Japanese Soldier vs Russian Soldier: Russo-Japanese War 1904–05"

4, 5, 1, 2 and 3 in that order. 2 would be higher but I think there is a lot of stuff out there already about US and British weaponry.

So I am a day late on this, but here is the G43 field strip. It is worth noting that the difference between a G43 and a K43 is the letter prefix:

IMG_4909_zpskrkpx4im.jpg

Bolt locks to rear on empty mag:

IMG_4910_zps0xm7xwtj.jpg

Trigger group:

IMG_4911_zpszg0c3ntm.jpg

With bolt locked back, you pull it a big farther and use the manual lock. Press the recoil spring plate and lift out:

IMG_4912_zpsy3rxvnvj.jpg

IMG_4913_zpsygjmvsj4.jpg

Release the manual lock and it all comes apart:

IMG_4914_zpses7hinrz.jpg

Gas system:

IMG_4915_zpsxvxdc09l.jpg

IMG_4916_zpsrmxodamw.jpg

I have not shot this, but I was able to take it apart just by looking at it. Impressions are that I do not like how the flappers must be inserted on their designated side and could be easily lost. Other than that it seems fine (again, I have not shot it).

Great stuff Alex.  I have a friend with a K43 that I was going to coerce convince to allow me to strip and photograph, but thanks for going ahead and doing it!

The fact that there is a left flap and a right flap that are non-interchangeable is a little weird.  According to Hitler's Garands, the flaps are interchangeable on the G41, but this was changed on the K/G43 because it was found that reversing the flaps would change point of impact (and this was supposed to be accurate enough to be a sniper's rifle... even though it really wasn't).

Interesting. I have yet to examine a G41(W) but I would love to do a photo comparison.

I have a G41(M), but it uses a better rotating bolt system, and a worse everything else.

Holy crap, a G41(M)?  I'd love to see internals of that sucker when you get a chance.  Very rare bird.

Again, I fully intend to get some of my own pictures of the K43 up here, because there are some points I want to emphasize about the design.  The K43 is basically a terrible design, but there are some points of interest.  Like how the bolt carrier doesn't ride on the receiver, and the little corner in the bolt carrier that almost always cracks, the ground-off scope rail, the differently-sized screws holding the action to the stock that, if interchanged, will stop the rifle from working, and the fiddly, easily-broken safety.

It's one of the first semi-auto designs I know of that uses a pressed and pinned barrel.

By the way, have you checked the serial number and manufacturer codes on your K43?  Certain SN and MFGs ranges are prone to sabotaged parts, 'cause of the slave labor.

On a semi auto platform? they can go alot higher actually depending on what you're buying gun and brand wise.

The POF 308 upper I have would've gone for close to 3k if I bought it with the lower, but I already had a POF 415 for it to attach to.