Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

Just wrote a post on how expensive it would be to switch to the 6.5 Grendel. Anyone want to take a guess for combined development and procurement costs for half a million new uppers, new magazines, and a billion rounds of ammo?

Around $10 billion?

MVD changed requirements for Tokar-2 light (5.45mm) assault MG.

http://zakupki.gov.ru/epz/order/notice/ok44/view/common-info.html?regNumber=0373100088716000029

http://zakupki.gov.ru/epz/order/notice/ok44/view/documents.html?regNumber=0373100088716000029

A bit of google translation with my small corrections

2.3 Name of product: 5.45 mm handheld assault machinegun with a combined feed "KORD-5.45", abbreviated - "Kord-5.45" MG.

2.4 Index - PR-5.45.

3.1 Composition of the machine gun

3.1.1 The barrels:
a) long;
B) short.
3.1.2 Receiver.
3.1.3 The bolt frame.
3.1.4 The spring.
3.1.5 The stock, telescopic, folding.
3.1.6 folding bipod, telescopic, removable.
3.1.7 Tactical grip and carrying handle.
3.1.8 The cover of the receiver.
3.1.9. Receiver
3.1.10 Receiver cover.
3.1.11 Flash hider
3.2.12 Supressor
3.1.13 60 round magazines, 6 per each MG
3.1.14 Belt for MG, 14 parts with 50 pieces each [50 bullets]
3.1.15 Cartridge box with a capacity of 100/250 rounds (two boxes of each kind).
3.1.16 Carrying strap small arms type 6SH5.
3.1.17 sleeve for firing blank.
3.1.18 Tool kit, accessories and spare parts (spare parts box).
3.1.19 Bags for magazines with a "Malle" mounting system - 3 pcs. 2 mag. (60 rounds) each.
3.1.20 Bags for cartridge boxe (100/250 round), 2 pcs. on the gun.
3.1.21 Case for carrying a machine gun.
3.1.22 The transport containers.

3.14.1 On machine gun should be provided connecting position ("Picatinny rail") over the entire length of the receiver.

3.14.2 Installation of optical sight (such as sight "Narodovolets") with mounting places for night (thermal) vision on connecting places on p.3.14.1 should not affect the convenience of the service dealing with a machine gun.
3.14.3 On the machine gun should be provided connecting space (bracket type "Picatinny") in the forearm area.
3.14.3 Machine gun must have a folding stock, adjustable in length and height adjustable support under the cheek.
3.14.4 Machine gun must have a mechanical sight for firing at ranges of 100 to 800 m in increments of installation of the sight of 100 m.
3.14.5 Magazine location - lower part of the gun, ± 15 ° from the vertical.
3.14.6 The design of machine gun ammunition feed system shall be able to accept both belts and magazines ("combined feed"): use the AK-74 and RPK-74 machine gun magazines and belts.
3.14.7 60 rounds magazines should be able to be use in the AK-74 and RPK-74.
3.14.8 The machine gun has to have an ambidextrous safety.

For development and initial procurement, yeah, that sounds about right.

From the same article, some myths also refuse to die in the face of empirical evidence it seems.

"Just get 22 RF Mag with better bullet design and you are at what the 5.7 does.

If you have to have a bottleneck pistol round, might as well go with the 22 TCM"

elrond_does_a_facepalm__by_ivyrose96-d6i

And for the record, I'm not even fully bitching about performance against tissue (even though the 5.7x28mm in a civilian setting has zero issues with that contrary to popular belief, JHPs and Ballistic tips moving that fast tend to do alot.) but....yeah.

I want to see his proposed "better bullet design" for the .22 Magnum that can penetrate a level IIIA vest out of a handgun length barrel, using a completely solid copper (aka steel or tungsten free) projectile.

Why? because the 5.7x28mm can do exactly that! aswell as cleanly penetrate sheet steel barriers which .22 magnums will leave a small dent or jacket smear on using lead cored FMJs. let alone solid copper or the standard SS190 steel cored AP rounds, and obviously the military isn't going to be using JHPs or Ballistic tips so....

So I made the grave mistake of reading more of Fascist Corgi's comments in that post (that weren't linked before.)

According to doctors, there's now 30 areas in my brain that have completely lost function as a result.

itshappening.gif

w4y0MSI.png

A friend of mine was also kind enough yesterday to give me 12 clips, 22 rounds, and a handy little pouch for it yesterday.  I can already tell why people dislike stripper clips.

y1Ef7I8.jpg

Also found this funny while I was filling out the order form:

QLhYI71.png

"Do you want it shipped for twenty dollars or would you rather just own it remotely from our warehouse?"

Keep in mind the Mosin Nagant is one of the few rifles that doesn't automatically eject an empty clip when the bolt is charged, You have to remove them by hand before racking the bolt forward.

They are very likely reproduction clips. Check their contour to see.

Original clips work much better.

Appropriately for me getting a Finnish Mosin, I've got 8 of the Finnish "Tikkakoski" clips, but I've also got 4 with a different mark stamped on the back.  It's a triangle in a circle at the center of the clip, and I'm not seeing it listed there.  Pictures below.  I'll also note that these seem to be the real deal, but a few are a little bent from their previous owners. 

The Finn ones look somewhere between their examples of a reproduction and real one with the mystery proofmark ones having nice and crisp edges.

AhhvQFX.jpg

Edited by ApplesauceBandit

[mas 36 fandom intensifies]

Run and Gun? Should have tested the Run and Toss Down Weapon and Surrender!!! Surrender monkeys!!!

Amirite Guys?

High Five!!!

Yes, I know the average French Poilu fought bravely in many actions, including rearguard efforts at Dunkirk which saved the British Expeditionary Force.

A video with Jerry from a few years ago, showing what I discovered recently, which is that with a little practice you can actually run an M1 really quickly:

I have not really had this experience with other autoloaders from the period. Not sure what it is about the M1, exactly.

Used to shoot a Garand for impromptu three gun back in the 80's.

Yeah, you can VERY rapidly convert money into tightly grouped holes in an IPSC target with the old M1.

A well set up Garand has a fantastic trigger for bump-firing.

The Carbine can be stupid-fast, but unless you have a bunch of known-good 30's (All but impossible to find now), the proper mag catch and LOADS of ammo you'll be at the mercy of the people with AR's.