Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Post Election Thread: Democracy Dies In Darkness And You Can Help

T___A

On 6/21/2017 at 10:30 PM, ShamefurDispray said:

They are literally saying that minorities and the elderly are too incompetent to get voter ID

Which disgusts me immensely.

The term "Poverty Pimp" comes to mind.

Booker Washington had a great comment regarding same.

33 minutes ago, Donward said:

My Internet access is spotty but I heard this was a 9-0 ruling by the Supreme Court. If so, that is an epic rebuke of the obvious judge shopping tactics by Trump's opponents. 

The official statement was per curiam, so the decision was rendered as a single group

But among the dissenting(partial for, partial against) judges, it was Thomas, Alito, and Gorsuch listed. So Sotomayor and RBG apparently did not oppose the action.

5 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

The purges have begun.

Fake news website reports that real news website published fake news, and heads actually rolled this time.

It is looking more and more like we are witnessing the death of mainstream TV news, at least as we've come to know it these past few decades.

Unless some investor or board member gets smart and starts wholesale firing of these hacks.

One of the fascinating things about Trump's polarizing personality is that extreme anti-Trump and extreme pro-Trump propaganda are often impossible to tell apart.  I've posted this one already:

RnyC6dC.jpg

Here is Trump leading an army of Nazi demons against a multi-cultural and multi-ethnic crowd of protesters.  Obviously, the person who made this image feels very strongly about Trump, but I find it impossible to tell whether they are for or against the man.  Obviously, the anti-Trump crowd is going to get flattened, unless that freaky white bird thing can shoot lasers or something.  You don't beat an army of demons like that with protest signs, you beat them with the BFG 9000.  Is this piece of art extolling the nobility of a righteous, but ultimately doomed struggle against Trump, or is it exalting in a victory that already seems inevitable?

QMEaP5X.jpg

Here we see a post-Trump totalitarian Nazi state.  Again, is the artist for this or against it?  I can't tell.  Are we supposed to be fearful and rallying against that which should never come to pass, or are we supposed to be nodding along in approval?  I mean, the streets do look rather clean, and the construction industry is clearly robust.  On the other hand, there are clearly Gestapo bothering people for their papers.  But isn't this exactly what Trump voters want?

gi0QCJa.jpg

Here we see that the dastardly Trump has arrogated the regalia, and presumably powers of state, of a monarch, and being a sexist douchebag, has chained naked women to his throne.  Am I supposed to consider the man skewered by such a deft exaggeration of his own pretense, or am I supposed to be thrilled by vicariously experiencing the God Emperor's heroism?  I CAN'T TELL.

4zZ7WHJ.jpg

What is going on here?  Is this a swipe at the Trump constituency for being a bunch of racists, generic and interchangeable middle-Americans and secret Communist agents?  Or is it a jab at Trump's detractors for their idiotic portrayal of Trump's constituency as a bunch of pre-LBJ Democrats, generic and interchangeable middle-Americans and secret Communist agents?

6 hours ago, Collimatrix said:

Here we see that the dastardly Trump has arrogated the regalia, and presumably powers of state, of a monarch, and being a sexist douchebag, has chained naked women to his throne.  Am I supposed to consider the man skewered by such a deft exaggeration of his own pretense, or am I supposed to be thrilled by vicariously experiencing the God Emperor's heroism?  I CAN'T TELL.

This picture is clearly about how Trump would be far better at being Napoleon than Napoleon ever was.

On 6/28/2017 at 8:46 AM, Collimatrix said:

One of the fascinating things about Trump's polarizing personality is that extreme anti-Trump and extreme pro-Trump propaganda are often impossible to tell apart.  I've posted this one already:

Here is Trump leading an army of Nazi demons against a multi-cultural and multi-ethnic crowd of protesters.  Obviously, the person who made this image feels very strongly about Trump, but I find it impossible to tell whether they are for or against the man.  Obviously, the anti-Trump crowd is going to get flattened, unless that freaky white bird thing can shoot lasers or something.  You don't beat an army of demons like that with protest signs, you beat them with the BFG 9000.  Is this piece of art extolling the nobility of a righteous, but ultimately doomed struggle against Trump, or is it exalting in a victory that already seems inevitable?

Here we see a post-Trump totalitarian Nazi state.  Again, is the artist for this or against it?  I can't tell.  Are we supposed to be fearful and rallying against that which should never come to pass, or are we supposed to be nodding along in approval?  I mean, the streets do look rather clean, and the construction industry is clearly robust.  On the other hand, there are clearly Gestapo bothering people for their papers.  But isn't this exactly what Trump voters want?

What is going on here?  Is this a swipe at the Trump constituency for being a bunch of racists, generic and interchangeable middle-Americans and secret Communist agents?  Or is it a jab at Trump's detractors for their idiotic portrayal of Trump's constituency as a bunch of pre-LBJ Democrats, generic and interchangeable middle-Americans and secret Communist agents?

Taking the kernel of truth within your satire and expounding upon it, I think the underlying problem here is that the radical Left has forgotten a fundamental human truth: Strength is a virtue. They have instead inverted this, and adopted a corrupted version of slave morality where pathetic weakness is a virtue, and strength is a vice. However, pathetic weakness is only a virtue if there is someone at the top to compel to mercy. I don't think there is, for the Left. Who is going to swoop in and save them from their enemies? The US military who abhors them? Russia, or China, whom they have made their enemies? Hahahah, God, whom they've rejected?

I don't think they will be laid low, their children enslaved, and their women raped, because I don't think our times will be so beastly. But deep in the back of everyone's mind is something that remembers what it was like to be a beast, and it knows that without some powerful Patron on High - without a Master - they will be laid low for their weakness. And I think it is this fundamental fact that takes the bite out of their propaganda. Much as everyone loves an underdog, no one wants to root for the losing team. The radical Left aren't walking with the plucky, unflappable swagger of an underdog; they are crawling in the dirt like someone who has already lost.

2 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

I think the underlying problem here is that the radical Left has forgotten a fundamental human truth: Strength is a virtue. They have instead inverted this, and adopted a corrupted version of slave morality where pathetic weakness is a virtue, and strength is a vice. However, pathetic weakness is only a virtue if there is someone at the top to compel to mercy. I don't think there is, for the Left.

If Ayn Rand had penned this, we'd all be laughing.

Ah yes, because we don't want politicians to have any kind of connection with the military or weapons at all. Any party that advocates against our national defense should be looked upon as a threat to our national well being.

7 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

Taking the kernel of truth within your satire and expounding upon it, I think the underlying problem here is that the radical Left has forgotten a fundamental human truth: Strength is a virtue. They have instead inverted this, and adopted a corrupted version of slave morality where pathetic weakness is a virtue, and strength is a vice. However, pathetic weakness is only a virtue if there is someone at the top to compel to mercy. I don't think there is, for the Left. Who is going to swoop in and save them from their enemies? The US military who abhors them? Russia, or China, whom they have made their enemies? Hahahah, God, whom they've rejected?

I don't think they will be laid low, their children enslaved, and their women raped, because I don't think our times will be so beastly. But deep in the back of everyone's mind is something that remembers what it was like to be a beast, and it knows that without some powerful Patron on High - without a Master - they will be laid low for their weakness. And I think it is this fundamental fact that takes the bite out of their propaganda. Much as everyone loves an underdog, no one wants to root for the losing team. The radical Left aren't walking with the plucky, unflappable swagger of an underdog; they are crawling in the dirt like someone who has already lost.

I dont disagree with this.  

The modern left is really weird.  It's not even recognizable from the left of ten years ago.  I'm 44 years old and I feel pretty distant from the modern left.  I know people that are older than me that made serious sacrifices for their leftist principles.  People that went to Latin America in the 1980s and 1990s to protest US military support for right wing regimes.  People that marched with the Zapatisas as they challenged the Mexican government in the early 2000's.  As much as you may or may not agree with the actions of such folks, you certainly cannot call them cowards.  Its a far cry from the modern version of the radical left, which would rather sit around discussing the merits of "intersectionality" than actually spending a day speaking to the "working class" they pretend to represent.  

The fact of the matter is that people like winners.  Martyrs are fine, but people need more than that.  And right now, all the left has to offer is martyrs. I love a figurative victory as the next guy, but I would prefer actual winning.  I'll take Ulysses S. Grant over John Brown any day, despite the fact that John Brown might be my favorite character in US history.  

22 minutes ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

That is immensely gratifying. :) Not sarcasm.

22 minutes ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

The modern left is really weird.  It's not even recognizable from the left of ten years ago.  I'm 44 years old and I feel pretty distant from the modern left.  I know people that are older than me that made serious sacrifices for their leftist principles.  People that went to Latin America in the 1980s and 1990s to protest US military support for right wing regimes.  People that marched with the Zapatisas as they challenged the Mexican government in the early 2000's.  As much as you may or may not agree with the actions of such folks, you certainly cannot call them cowards.  Its a far cry from the modern version of the radical left, which would rather sit around discussing the merits of "intersectionality" than actually spending a day speaking to the "working class" they pretend to represent.  

The fact of the matter is that people like winners.  Martyrs are fine, but people need more than that.  And right now, all the left has to offer is martyrs. I love a figurative victory as the next guy, but I would prefer actual winning.  I'll take Ulysses S. Grant over John Brown any day, despite the fact that John Brown might be my favorite character in US history.  

Welp, Walt and I just agreed on something political and directly related to the US Left. That's about as close to "officially true" as you're gonna get. ;)

All of this hits very close to the reason why I can respect the Soviets while hating their ideology, but not the modern American radical Left. The Fire has gone out.

8 minutes ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

Speaking of the fire going out, look at this recent election in Georgia.  The Democrats pinned there hopes on this guy.

Screen-Shot-2017-05-10-at-8.18.32-PM-261

Fuck this guy.  Give me a fighter.  This guy looks like he would fold the minute he found out the store was out of styling gel for his hair.  

Yeah, motherfucker, where are your Huey Longs and FDRs?

Just now, Sturgeon said:

Yeah, motherfucker, where are your Huey Longs and FDRs?

Well, not getting any support from the national DNC, that's for sure.  But then, it's a fine line having to pretend to be progressive while still sucking up all those corporate dollars.  The modern Democratic party has all the charisma as your least favorite high school teachers.  

1 minute ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

Well, not getting any support from the national DNC, that's for sure.  But then, it's a fine line having to pretend to be progressive while still sucking up all those corporate dollars.  The modern Democratic party has all the charisma as your least favorite high school teachers.  

I emphathize. You guys are just had your John McCain moment, but about 4x as bad.

If I were a liberal, I would be pissed as all hell.

We have similar problems up here with both our Province level and federal politicians.  Justin has some personal charisma, but he hasn't been very good about presenting an articulate vision of how to move forward. Although Trump has allowed/forced the Liberals to confront some practical aspects, such as the need to buy a proper # of fighter aircraft.

Kathleen Wynne has the personal charisma of a tree stump and is clearly fighting for her political life and weaseling along.  Unfortunately for Ontario, the Conservative party doesn't appear to being doing all that well either and may have a hard time winning an election due to internal divisions within the party. Ontario is pretty fed up with Wynne, but man, the Conservatives cannot put up a decent united front against her.  It should be a curb stomp of epic proportions next year for the Cons, and still can be if they get their shit together.