Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Post Election Thread: Democracy Dies In Darkness And You Can Help

T___A

I listened to it live on the radio, it was beautiful. Trump was being even handed, reasonable and objective, and the reporters were a cackling mess that were just yelling obvious bait questions the whole time.

I did take issue with Trump blasting people on his manufacturing council for making things overseas, because from what I understand Trump brand clothing is still of foreign manufacture, but that is a very minor issue, especially compared to other scandals that other presidents have found themselves in, or should have found themselves in.

5 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

Not at all in my interest to defend statues put up by overly romantic Lost Causers from the Gilded Age, but I think the people tearing them down don't care a whit about that, either. This is what we'll get if some whips don't get cracked soon:

The interesting thing, to me, about nostalgia for the Confederacy and the "Old South" is that it's almost entirely of recent vintage.

In the 1960s the pro-segregation crowd argued that integration would destroy their culture and way of life et cetera... except that segregation only dated back to the 1890s.  There was almost a generation long gap between the end of the Civil War and the start of Jim Crow laws.

H.L. Mencken, who actually liked the Confederacy, at least in a qualified sense, pointed out that all that was good and noble about it bled out on the battlefields.

In short, Lost Causers are LARPing.  They aren't the inheritors of the Confederacy in any meaningful way.  The Confederacy was killed 100% dead.

At this point it is more than abundantly clear - although it's been obvious to me since November - that the Left, the media, and various lobbyist, business and political groups are using any and every tactic just short of armed insurrection to undo the results of the Presidential election. And the only reason they aren't doing the latter is because they think they can remove Trump via impeachment or getting him to resign via scandal.

11 minutes ago, Collimatrix said:

The interesting thing, to me, about nostalgia for the Confederacy and the "Old South" is that it's almost entirely of recent vintage.

In the 1960s the pro-segregation crowd argued that integration would destroy their culture and way of life et cetera... except that segregation only dated back to the 1890s.  There was almost a generation long gap between the end of the Civil War and the start of Jim Crow laws.

H.L. Mencken, who actually liked the Confederacy, at least in a qualified sense, pointed out that all that was good and noble about it bled out on the battlefields.

In short, Lost Causers are LARPing.  They aren't the inheritors of the Confederacy in any meaningful way.  The Confederacy was killed 100% dead.

Yeah, the Lost Causers are the children and grandchildren of the Civil War era southern Democrats. I mean, here's how old the bastards who actually fought were by the 1890s:

CCF20111014_00000.jpg

These guys were retirees, practically.

Here's the thing, and they only sort of teach you think in school: We as a nation had achieved practically all the goals of the Civil Rights movement (for men, at least) by 1870. Black people were desegregated, they were free, they were voting, they were treated as equals... Because the Northern troops made the South do it at the barrel of a gun. And I don't mean "we fought a war", I mean there were literally Union troops stationed in the South, occupying it, pointing guns at the Southerners to make sure they guaranteed the rights of the Negro. 

And then the Compromise of 1877 happened, and the North just abandoned the Southern blacks. They just up and left, and everything they'd achieved to that point was lost. They don't drive this home in school like I think they should: The North failed to secure the rights of the Southern blacks at the end of the Civil War, and as a consequence the only thing that long and bloody conflict decided was whether states could secede or not. The whole reason there was a Civil Rights Movement in the 1950s and '60s was due to that failure. The failure of Reconstruction is a shameful mark on our country, especially the Yankees, and I think that needs to hammered in to schoolchildren as such.

More optimistically, the Yanks seemed to have learned their lesson eventually, because they did not let the same thing happen in Japan and Germany after World War II. Which is why we still have large military bases in those countries.

The Confederacy wasn't killed 100 percent dead in that the Confederate widows survived who more than any group is responsible for romanticizing the Lost Cause.

Men as different as George S. Patton and Teddy Roosevelt were influenced by strong Southern women.

Woodward's book makes it clear that something even weirder than that was going on.  There are numerous excerpts about how relaxed and freely mixed Southern society was all the way until the 1880s, and to some extent after that.  It was actually shocking to Europeans how un-racist American society was at that time.

And then something happened, FIIK what, and segregation was the law of the land throughout the South.  The Compromise of 1877 definitely had something to do with it, but Woodward explicitly makes the case that Jim Crow was not inevitable or obvious.

This wasn't the ghost of the white supremacist slave society re-asserting itself when it thought it was safe to re-emerge.  That's a line of crap that people like Woodrow Wilson sold to a largely credulous audience a generation after the fact, and that for some bizarre reason is taught in schools.  Pro tip: Woodrow Wilson was an agent of Angra Mainyu who hated all that is good, true and pure.  You should probably not repeat anything he said as fact without checking it first.

8 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

Not at all in my interest to defend statues put up by overly romantic Lost Causers from the Gilded Age, but I think the people tearing them down don't care a whit about that, either. This is what we'll get if some whips don't get cracked soon:

1. Confederate flags get taken down due to minority outcry. ✔

2. Confederate statues are hurriedly taken down under pressure from the same. ✔

3. Confederate statues are personally defaced/destroyed by the same. ✔

4. Destruction/defacing of Confederate and Union graveyards.

4. Escalation. Destruction of other property, monuments, etc. Destruction of historical sites as the mob is emboldened.

5. Assaults and possibly murder/manslaughter as escalation continues.

We've got a mob that is trying to see just how far they can push things. I don't think this is really about Confederate statues. They are a convenient outlet. This is about politics by other means.

Some fuckers defaced the Lincoln Memorial, I think they spray painted "Fuck Law" on it... 

23 minutes ago, Donward said:

Yep. Baltimore took down a bunch. Removing statuary of Robert E Lee and Stonewall Jackson will totally change the fact that Baltimore has one of the highest murder rates in the country, most of it being black-on-black crime.

That's sort of a weird tangent to go on, unless the stated purpose of the statue removal was to lower the murder rate.

Stepping back from this, it is very amusing. Trump has shined the harsh light of truth on this situation and called out the violence of the left, and naturally all of the cockroaches have started skittering away to hide in the shadows while calling for the crucifixion of those who dare to expose them. This is a phenomenal litmus test of loyalty, and has exposed all of his political enemies, and by extension the political enemies of anyone who is capable of rational thought and recognising reality.

Stepping forward to understand our involvement in this situation as citizens of this country who will be effected by the outcome of this who debacle, it is very concerning that we have so many people in positions of power who are eager to abdicate to and grovel at the feet of radical leftists, or who themselves are radical leftists. The radical left has a global track record of oppressing and murdering hundreds of millions of people in the past century, and I do not see the radical left in this country as being on a different path. They are rigid idealogues who are only concerned about coercing compliance with their religion at any cost. They have deluded themselves into thinking that they have the moral authority to control civilization. They think that only they are smart enough, educated enough, and wise enough to determine right and wrong. They have elevated themselves to the status of a god, and consider themselves beyond reproach. How many more hundreds of millions of people are going to die before this twisted religion is finally destroyed and stigmatized to the point where no one will publicly espouse it?

2 hours ago, Toxn said:

That's sort of a weird tangent to go on, unless the stated purpose of the statue removal was to lower the murder rate.

The point is that perhaps the politicians in Baltimore have more pressing concerns than cheap political theater and grandstanding.

But maybe not.

3 hours ago, Toxn said:

Yeah, kinda. The stated purpose of removing the statues was that they make black people feel bad. And as we know from our AA studies class, black people feeling bad is the sole reason the black community has problems.