Jump to content
Sturgeon's House

The UK Brave Space For Shitposting and Other Opinions Thread


Recommended Posts

49 minutes ago, Toxn said:

Or he's reacting like anyone would react when some other tribe drags him out of his tent to hoot at him about how his tribe is evil and dumb.

 

This is a prickish thread started specifically to bait people from the UK, whose participants are overwhelmingly people from the US sucking their own dicks about how Squarehead's homeland is a giant funny-accented prison.

 

Any sociologist would tell you that Squarehead being defensive is the normal and expected reaction a human being would have to this sort of thing. Hell, it's your collective reaction any time one of us outsiders dares to make fun of your country's manifold ridiculousnesses.

 

So ease off maybe, if you want to actually convince the man of anything. Or, if the intent is just to rub his face in things, don't expect him to thank you for it and come around to your point of view.

Obviously, you have not been paying attention as to how many of us think our own (U.S.) government is chock full of microcephalic mouthbreathing mollusks..

Why should we treat a foreign government any better when it's acting just as moronically (if not moreso)?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm cool with it, but the thread title is a bit crap IMHO, as I've said before.  ;)

 

As for the knives thing, it's just a repeat of the BS campaigns of the 80s, 90s & 00s, beefed up for the internet heavy 2010s.....Seen it all before, it's yet another thing that has effected me not even slightly.

 

2 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

Also, let's get real here: The UK government is acting absolutely insane on a regular basis.

 

Correct.

 

2 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

The thing with Tommy Robinson is a blatant example of an abuse of a rule that is intended to keep trials unbiased and fair. Things like this are happening all the time in the UK, and it's worth having a thread for that.

 

This is where we disagree.....Robinson's actions had a very real chance of being used as an excuse to undermine a very complex and expensive trial of some of the worst vermin in the country. 

 

Plus he's a prick.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Like, I'm not sure I understand your complaints, @Toxn. This thread doesn't seem particularly different than many other threads we've had on SH, and if by "manifold ridiculousnesses" you mean stuff like gun laws in the US, we have a thread for that too. I'm not planning to censor either this thread or that one. Are you trying to say that the Europeans and Brits feel drowned out by the Americans? Well, OK, but there's a couple of things that give me pause on that:

1. I can't help that the site membership is predominantly American.
2. I've not heard any of these complaints from anyone but you.
3. I've seen a number of arguments of this type between our European/British members, so I am not really sure what you're picking up on is an Americans vs. Europeans & Brits thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

This is where we disagree.....Robinson's actions had a very real chance of being used as an excuse to undermine a very complex and expensive trial of some of the worst vermin in the country. 

 

Plus he's a prick.

 

OK, so while that makes decent sense to me, couple of questions on the back end of that:

 - How does that justify a gag order on the media when talking only about Tommy Robinson's conviction? Like, sure, it wouldn't jive with the 1st Amendment here, but I get that the law being used as a justification for this is intended to ensure fair trials by not contaminating juries with the court of public opinion, and maybe there's even something to that. But the gag order very clearly relates to the Robinson case, not the grooming gangs case (which presumably was already subject to gag order), and he'd already been convicted. Seems like a direct abuse to me.

 - Who would be using this as an excuse? And doesn't that highlight some of the problems with the gag orders?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Sgt.Squarehead said:

To be fair to @Toxn there does seem to be a rather confrontational edge to all this, which is a bit pointless IMHO, considering we're all being fucked by the same people.....Maybe perceptions differ over there?

 

There is, a little bit. TBH, we Yanks have taken shit for being American from Brits for years, and it's reached a bit of a boiling over point. I'm not surprised the jokes (including my own) feel a bit pointed, but I am also not about to censor them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Sturgeon said:

 

There is, a little bit. TBH, we Yanks have taken shit for being American from Brits for years, and it's reached a bit of a boiling over point. I'm not surprised the jokes (including my own) feel a bit pointed, but I am also not about to censor them.

Meh, just considered it harmless banter for the most part.  I'm more saddened to see a once great nation being driven into insanity by an out of control government.

I also see the state England is in, as being a potential future for the U.S..

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

How does that justify a gag order on the media when talking only about Tommy Robinson's conviction? Like, sure, it wouldn't jive with the 1st Amendment here, but I get that the law being used as a justification for this is intended to ensure fair trials by not contaminating juries with the court of public opinion, and maybe there's even something to that. But the gag order very clearly relates to the Robinson case, not the grooming gangs case (which presumably was already subject to gag order), and he'd already been convicted. Seems like a direct abuse to me.

 

I haven't looked into it in detail TBH, but I'd guess it again relates to the rules on reporting on-going court proceedings.

 

11 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

 

There is, a little bit. TBH, we Yanks have taken shit for being American from Brits for years, and it's reached a bit of a boiling over point. I'm not surprised the jokes (including my own) feel a bit pointed, but I am also not about to censor them.

 

I got broad(ish) shoulders, so I'm cool with that (just don't insult my dogs).....The British/American relationship has always been complex, long may it remain so.  ;)

 

Sadly many of the talking points in this thread apply only to the sort of cockroach who would take a knife to a pub (with a perfectly good pool table etc.).....Surely we have more important things to discuss, like how a conveniently deniable faction of British intelligence has attempted to undermine the US electoral process, while simultaneously casting aspersions against Russia? 

 

4 minutes ago, Meplat said:

Meh, just considered it harmless banter for the most part.  I'm more saddened to see a once great nation being driven into insanity by an out of control government.

I also see the state England is in, as being a potential future for the U.S..

 

It'd probably be bigger, louder and a lot more glitzy.....But it could well happen.  :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

It'd probably be bigger, louder and a lot more glitzy.....But it could well happen.  :P

And it'd still be shit. "Mediocrity" is not an export to aspire toward. Heaven knows Hollywood is shitting out enough big budget "meh" as it is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Decline of empire is an inevitability, the only thing that varies is the speed of decline.

 

1 hour ago, Meplat said:

Obviously, you have not been paying attention as to how many of us think our own (U.S.) government is chock full of microcephalic mouthbreathing mollusks..

Why should we treat a foreign government any better when it's acting just as moronically (if not moreso)?

 

Actually what I see is a roughly 50/50 quibbling match over Trump's merit or lack thereof.....Meaningful consideration of the impact of the actions of the US on the wider world, not so much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Decline of empire is an inevitability, the only thing that varies is the speed of decline.

 

 

Actually what I see is a roughly 50/50 quibbling match over Trump's merit or lack thereof.....Meaningful consideration of the impact of the actions of the US on the wider world, not so much.

He's the president, not "God-Emperor of Dune". Wait a bit, and we'll have another fruitcake to warm the seat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Surely we have more important things to discuss, like how a conveniently deniable faction of British intelligence has attempted to undermine the US electoral process, while simultaneously casting aspersions against Russia? 

 

Got me there. That is legitimately more interesting.

 

See, @Toxn? I told you Squarehead could hold his own.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

 

Got me there. That is legitimately more interesting.

 

See, @Toxn? I told you Squarehead could hold his own.

Meh, not like the U.S. hasn't fucked with a few elections..

 

This last one, we had a choice between a "Circus Peanut", and "The Wicked Witch of the West".

No amount of foreign chicanery was going to really change the direction this country was/is heading.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

 

Got me there. That is legitimately more interesting.

 

See, @Toxn? I told you Squarehead could hold his own.

 

Counterpoint, @Toxn: What if we hunted UK citizens who didn't have TV licenses from helicopters with poison-bullet loaded machineguns?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

 

Counterpoint, @Toxn: What if we hunted UK citizens who didn't have TV licenses from helicopters with poison-bullet loaded machineguns?

An aside-

 

My parents were stationed in England for about 12 years. Every time the antenna man showed up, he'd basically go "Bloody Yanks"..

My mom even said she offered to have them come in for tea as they looked for the "telly" but they usually refused once they heard her accent, and heard she worked at Lakenheath.. (They never had a TV in that house).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is likely to cause some 'lively debate':

 

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/elections/2018/05/another-referendum-britain-s-membership-eu-it-s-question-when-not-if

 

Frankly I couldn't care less, if we stay in I'll probably be slightly better off in the long run, but if we don't it'll make very little difference in the grand scheme of things.....At the time I voted for Brexit, but my reasoning was simple; Whatever that ghastly oik David Cameron wanted me to do, I'd do the opposite (matter of principle & all that).

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Europe cooperating has some good points (Airbus, Typhoon), but it seems (of late) like the EU has now turned toward using it's will to bullying member nations into compliance with less than sensible directives.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

The institutions of Europe are very far from democratic.....Have you been following the situation in Italy?

 

https://news.google.com/stories/CAAqOQgKIjNDQklTSURvSmMzUnZjbmt0TXpZd1NoTUtFUWo4enFIQmpJQU1FUmYyRXVRNm5vcmdLQUFQAQ?hl=en-GB&gl=GB&ceid=GB%3Aen

Been hearing about it. A bit depressing, but almost par for the course for Italy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Snopes on 'The Robinson Affair':  https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tommy-robinson-arrest/

 

Quote

This is not about free speech… not about the freedom of the Press, nor about legitimate journalism, and not about political correctness. It is about justice and ensuring that a trial can be carried out justly and fairly..it’s about being innocent until proven guilty. It is about preserving the integrity of the jury to continue without people being intimidated..or being affected by irresponsible and inaccurate “reporting”, if that’s what it was. 

 

…You made it abundantly clear that your mission was to film the defendants, who you referred to by their religion, as ‘Muslim child rapists’ and ‘Muslim paedophiles’.

…I take a very dim view of your conduct, which was in the face of repeated warnings…There are notices all over the court building making it clear that filming or taking a photograph was an offence and may be a contempt of court. You were told very clearly by the security staff at this court that you were to stop filming.

 

 

Hope this makes it all a little clearer.  :sunglasses:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It wasn't as far as I can tell.....Can you show me the sources for this? 

 

If it's from Robinson's crew BTW don't bother, they don't have a fucking clue what they are on about legally speaking (as their utter genius in getting themselves banged up clearly demonstrates), or for that matter, on any other subject.

 

PS - Keep in mind that Robinson's trial receives the same protections from the press as any other, whether the defendant likes it or not.

 

PPS - From Snopes, reporting restrictions guide .pdf:  https://www.judiciary.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/reporting-restrictions-guide-may-2016-2.pdf

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...