Sturgeon's House

WoT v WT effort-thread

Toxn

Eh, other than the:

fucked zoom mechanics

fucking greasy lack of overmatch mechnanics

German and bong tanks being remotly useful ever

Its a pretty good game, for me atleast

American and Soviet tanks seem really powerful, which makes me feel good deep down inside my concrete and pig aluminum heart 

Minimalizing the KV-1 annoys me to no end.

Hmm so with magnetos if you can get it the engine running you don't need a battery?

Pretty much. Aircraft use a device called an "Impulse Coupling" togive the mag a bit more snap. But basically you need no external source to snap a mag to life.

Pretty much. Aircraft use a device called an "Impulse Coupling" togive the mag a bit more snap. But basically you need no external source to snap a mag to life.

Ok, thats what I figured. 

What's the main advantage for aircraft use? Generator/Alternator failure doesn't kill the motor?   Not use in Automotive applications because of price?

Ok, thats what I figured. 

What's the main advantage for aircraft use? Generator/Alternator failure doesn't kill the motor?   Not use in Automotive applications because of price?

For aircraft? Immensely reliable and usually mounted in pairs. There were some exceptions though.

You did find them in automotive , mainly in performance applications. I had a '75 Nissan 280 with a Vertex magneto ignition (and numerous other mods), because I was an unabashed motorhead, and wanted to waggle my skills.  Anymore I'm more into longevity .

The R975 had dual magnetos and two sparkplugs per cylinder?   It wonder if the aircraft motor the Ford GAA base based on had two magnetos and two sparkys per cylinder too. 

Yes, the 975 was dual mag, as was the GAA. A lot of that had to do with sheer reliability. Lose a plug, it'd keep running with little to no loss in performance.

The sheer overpower of a lot of  U.S. mills helped.   A lot of U.S. armor had WAY more potential power than was used.

Yes, the 975 was dual mag, as was the GAA. A lot of that had to do with sheer reliability. Lose a plug, it'd keep running with little to no loss in performance.

The sheer overpower of a lot of  U.S. mills helped.   A lot of U.S. armor had WAY more potential power than was used.

Oh yeah, I was poking around for extra info on the GAA and found a site that has some info from guys who have hot rodded it out. 

This one is running 1500 HP

GAA-A.jpg

The site with info on it. 

Yup. My initial impression of WoT was "oh, this is Crimson Skies with tanks."

Crimson Skies was great though, aside from that terrible autogyro level. 

Also I played this flight "sim" called Wings of War where you'd do this ridiculous shit like jump between planes mid-level (seriously, your character jumped from one plane to another), and the damage model was amazing for an early 2000s game. My favourite part was the over-dramatic reaction at the loss of your landing gear, despite crash landings being perfectly viable options the only few times you actually need to land.

Oh also it had WWI biplanes with mad rocket layours because why not.

Oh yeah, I was poking around for extra info on the GAA and found a site that has some info from guys who have hot rodded it out. 

This one is running 1500 HP

GAA-A.jpg

The site with info on it. 

Oh yeah,the GAA is stupidly underpowered for it's design and displacement.

A reasonably tweaked one running WW2 era avgas would have been a 1000 HP mill.  The silly thing was 500 + HP at like 7/1 comp with mil std 80 octane.

(The thought of a 1K HP M4 E8 is amusing.  Ebil kraut goes to shoot, only to see a roostertail of sod as the M4 goes WFO. )

Oh yeah,the GAA is stupidly underpowered for it's design and displacement.

A reasonably tweaked one running WW2 era avgas would have been a 1000 HP mill.  The silly thing was 500 + HP at like 7/1 comp with mil std 80 octane.

(The thought of a 1K HP M4 E8 is amusing.  Ebil kraut goes to shoot, only to see a roostertail of sod as the M4 goes WFO. )

It would be able to do burnouts and drift! 

So how common is it to swap out the stock motor and put in something else? And could you put in a turbo charged V8, making 500 HP in a sherman if you couldn't get the right motor? The Sherman seems like an easy tank to do an engine swap on since it's got a drive shaft you tie into. The only one I've heard of was a diesel into the M4A3E8 used by the demo company. 

How hard is it to get a GAA and how do you get parts for something like that? Can the piston liners be replaced, so the motor can be rebuilt over and over? It seems like a pretty damn hitech motor for the time. 

It would be able to do burnouts and drift! 

So how common is it to swap out the stock motor and put in something else? And could you put in a turbo charged V8, making 500 HP in a sherman if you could get the right motor? The Sherman seems like an easy tank to do an engine swap on since it's got a drive shaft you tie into. The only one I've heard of was a diesel into the M4A3E8 used by the demo company. 

How hard is it to get a GAA and how do you get parts for something like that? Can the piston liners be replaced, so the motor can be rebuilt over and over? It seems like a pretty damn hitech motor for the time. 

Not very, as most tank collectors are wanting to preserve the rig, though you do find the occasional rodded gun tractor masquerading as a "WW2Tank" at some hot rod shows.

I can't guess it was too difficult as it seems everyone and their cousin was stuffing whatever local mill there was into M4's.  That's kind of the advantage of U.S. and to an extent Russian armor, in that it's based on a known standard.

Getting a GAA is not as hard as it seems, as there seems to be far more mills than tanks. I'm not sure of it's block construction as my experience with them has been carb and induction related (as in "Get this thing off and on a trailer" kind of work).  Being a U.S/Ford mill I'd bet it's not a sleeved mill, and you'd be boring/honing oversize.

Not very, as most tank collectors are wanting to preserve the rig, though you do find the occasional rodded gun tractor masquerading as a "WW2Tank" at some hot rod shows.

I can't guess it was too difficult as it seems everyone and their cousin was stuffing whatever local mill there was into M4's.  That's kind of the advantage of U.S. and to an extent Russian armor, in that it's based on a known standard.

Getting a GAA is not as hard as it seems, as there seems to be far more mills than tanks. I'm not sure of it's block construction as my experience with them has been carb and induction related (as in "Get this thing off and on a trailer" kind of work).  Being a U.S/Ford mill I'd bet it's not a sleeved mill, and you'd be boring/honing oversize.

Hmmm it's a huge single aluminum casting for the block. I thought not sleaving a aluminum block was bad, but I havn't looked into it. 

Hmmm it's a huge single aluminum casting for the block. I thought not sleaving a aluminum block was bad, but I havn't looked into it. 

A high silica alloy works fine, but agian, I've not gotten that far into them.