Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

Sorry for the double tap.

But I'd probably honestly use an AR because I can shoot well to distance with one if I need to...

And, because only crazy people hunt with AK's in North America.

If you reside in the land of the rising Saiga, and can't afford a VEPR / Molot, I'm sure it's perfectly acceptable.

But since I don't live in Eastern Washington, Oregon, or Idaho.

Don't listen to "heritage music".

And am not even a part time wehraboo,except my obsession with the type 1 fg-42.

Hunting with an AK just isn't something I'd do.

Ok,

If forced to choose between the first two options, I'd take an SKS every time.

FWIW, I own an SKS and an inherited Winchester 94 so I could actually choose between the two.

Personally though, I'd take a vz52 if I could just to be different.

And because vz58's with 30 round mags suck to go prone with...

Sorry Don,

I know us PNW people should stick together, but I'm just not a lever gun guy. Mostly because I never found a source for $179 parts kits, nor can you make lever gun receivers with harbor freight shop presses.

*Cues the ritual fight music*

Nah. It's just an inside joke since Ol' Sturg and I first became aware of each other over this same issue.

Fired an AUG for the first time this week. My assessment of the favor has improved.

Also shot a grand power. Sweet shooter, but unreliable. Worked ok with brass, had bizarre failures with steel, like the spent case doing a 180 and stuffing the case head into the chamber. Twice.

Shot a Colt All-American 2000. By the holy dildo of Saint Dominic, that is a horribad gun.

Czech Army received the first batch of Bren 2 rifles.

1900 14 inch barrels, 700 with 11 inch barrels, bayonets, and 800 CZ 805 40mm grenande launcher.  Also included in the purchase is day/night optical sights by Meopta.

http://www.janes.com/article/65684/czech-army-receives-new-bren-2-assault-rifle

To be fair, if I had to a buy a "Glock under another name", CZ is a brand I'd put very high on the list of manufacturers I'd trust.

Yeah, CZ is a great company and I'm sure the P10 is a good if not great pistol. But saying shit like "it's almost like I'm not shooting a gun at all" and "I'm going to buy a 100 of them"? Gimme a break, please!

Colli,

I'll buy some steel case for mine and see if I can replicate your malfunction.

One question first though, did you alternate between steel and brass case in the same shooting sessions?

Over the years I've learned that this can cause all sorts of interesting shit to happen. Though, usually it's just shooting steel case then switching to brass that causes issues.

Colli,

I'll buy some steel case for mine and see if I can replicate your malfunction.

One question first though, did you alternate between steel and brass case in the same shooting sessions?

Over the years I've learned that this can cause all sorts of interesting shit to happen. Though, usually it's just shooting steel case then switching to brass that causes issues.

Not with every pistol.

Oddly enough, when I did a torture test on my FNX-45 Tactical (500+ rounds straight plus an extra 150 after that on a different day after I already had something like 2000 rounds put through it overall), It ate Russian steel ammo fine even before and after brass and nickel plated, I also tried many other types of oddities like aluminum cased/nylon jacketed rounds and odd weights and alternated between +P and standard pressure, the only thing that finally caused failures was some bog standard Brass and Copper jacketed Remington UMC which had 10/50 malfunctions from a single box. (which is also odd because that was the first time in a while I've seen Remington UMC have a "standard" case and jacket instead of a nickel plated set with a brass jacket.)

True, it's definitely a less pronounced phenomena when you get away from things like the DI system in the AR.

however, I try to stick to the brass before steel rule whenever possible.

One thing I've noticed is that with modern pistols that don't outright suck malfunctions and quirks almost seem to be somehow user dependent.

ie. It's not like every single pistol of a certain type will always choke on the same things.

For me, the grand power works great. So do my eaa witness cz52 82 83... Sue me, I like czechnology!

Overall, we've really got an embarrassment of riches when it comes to the huge variety of makes and models that are perfectly serviceable and readily available.

You wouldn't know it by the whining, bitching, and insane expectations of the internet gun world and their insane expectations.

"Any pistol that can't fire eleventy seventy three double charged rusty surplus double charged steel case from buttfuckistan and lubed with homemade napalm and magnesium mill shavings without a single stoppage is OBVIOUSLY not reliable enough to trust my life, ugly girlfriend, and minimum wage paycheck to!!!"

I was alternating mags of steel and brass.

9x19mm ammo is all over the place in terms of dimensions, bullets and propellant. No big surprise, it's been around forever and everyone has a slightly different take. Like chili.

So you're right, I should have said unreliable with that particular ammo. It might hum along with something else.

I wonder if .40 is more consistent, having had less time to diverge.