Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Post Election Thread: Democracy Dies In Darkness And You Can Help

T___A

28 minutes ago, Ulric said:

I have my disagreements with Russia, but they too desire to remove kebab. Russia could be our greatest ally in the war on radical islamic terror, considering that they are one of the few nations that isn't willing to accept peace trucks as a regular occurrence. On that alone there is more common ground than there is between the left and the right in this country.

To add to this, working together on something (preferably something we have common ground on, like terrorism) would be an excellent solution for long term peace between our countries... at least it’s better than thinking we’re back in the 60’s, and vilifying them; Last time I checked, you make friends by being nice/polite/respectful. 

Then again, I have no friends, so I wouldn’t know :P 

4 hours ago, Donward said:

But muh Blue WAY-YAY-YAY-IIIIIVVVVV!!!

In Deeply Blue New Jersey, An Unexpected Battle For Senate

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/05/nyregion/senator-menendez-election-nj.html

As a former resident of New Jersey, this pleases me. How the fuck Menendez didn't get thrown in prison is a mystery (no it isn't).

9 minutes ago, Belesarius said:

O'Donnell is still alive? Who knew?

Unfortunately, you now know, after seeing that.

On 8/7/2018 at 9:34 AM, Walter_Sobchak said:

Hey, they are the ones saying they hold more kinship with members of a hostile foreign country than their own countrymen of a different political party.  

Russia is about as hostile as Saudi Arabia or Israel, meanwhile so called "fellow countrymen" care more about foreigners than their own countrymen and have bent into a strange racial identitarian that give us gems like this,

Also you cling pretty hard to that Russia collusion theory. That's doing wonders for mental health and stability around the country. I sure do believe that some random Russian oligarch putting $100k into shitty facebook ads in already pro-Trump areas swung an election that measured ad spending in the hundreds of millions. Wew lad, that's a big brain galaxy expander right there.

6 hours ago, Lostwingman said:

Russia is about as hostile as Saudi Arabia or Israel, meanwhile so called "fellow countrymen" care more about foreigners than their own countrymen and have bent into a strange racial identitarian that give us gems like this,

Also you cling pretty hard to that Russia collusion theory. That's doing wonders for mental health and stability around the country. I sure do believe that some random Russian oligarch putting $100k into shitty facebook ads in already pro-Trump areas swung an election that measured ad spending in the hundreds of millions. Wew lad, that's a big brain galaxy expander right there.

Odd, I don't think i have commented much about "collusion" here.  My general position has been lets wait and see what the Mueller probe reports.  Also, if you can find posts of mine praising Saudi Arabia or Israel, I'll be quite surprised.  I would probably be pretty amused if the Trumpster aimed his insults at either of them, I think they have far too much influence on US policy.  If you want to talk about influencing US elections, AIPAC make the Russians look like total amateurs.  While I would like the US and Russia to have decent relations, I think the goals and long term ambitions of the two countries are fundamentally at odds, meaning relations are never going to be fantastic.  Overcoming decades of mistrust is not easy.   

16 hours ago, Donward said:

But muh Blue w... *whew*... wave

http://www.dispatch.com/news/20180807/12th-congressional-district-special-election-finally-here/1

So despite all the hoopla and 24/7 coverage by the media and the fact that Democrats are supposedly SOOOO energized, all they wind up with is a loss.

Well, that's an optimistic take on it.  A less optimistic take would be that the GOP held on to this seat by the narrowest of margins despite the fact that Trump won it by 11 points in 2016, Romney by 10 points in 2012, and it has elected a Republican congressman for the past three decades.  According to one op-ed I read, there are 68 house districts currently held by the GOP that are less consistently red than the 12th Ohio.  So if the GOP can only eek out a victory by the narrowest of margins in a thoroughly red district after pumping in millions of dollars and a visit from Trump himself, they could very well lose some of these 68 other districts that are traditionally less red.  

That said, we will find out in November.  After the 2016 election, I am a bit hesitant to prognosticate too much.

25 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

The Left wants to kill the Right, that's pretty obvious to most everyone around here. At least some of the Right wants to kill the Left, too, but it ain't Proud Boys chanting "Liberals get the bullet too"

c3ownyyueaeeev2-jpg.290719

antifa-hate1.jpg

DHovxNvVwAAVkyF.jpg

1*GcgA4bcpBj47vHE2geB4pg.jpeg

tumblr_ok6vuoEeza1tduuewo1_500.jpg

Fringe folks will be fringe.  At least there are not actual gun battles in the streets.  If ever there was a time for calmer head to prevail, now would be the time.  

1 hour ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

Fringe folks will be fringe.  At least there are not actual gun battles in the streets.  If ever there was a time for calmer head to prevail, now would be the time.  

Just on baseball fields.

1 hour ago, Sturgeon said:

The Left wants to kill the Right, that's pretty obvious to most everyone around here. At least some of the Right wants to kill the Left, too, but it ain't Proud Boys chanting "Liberals get the bullet too"

c3ownyyueaeeev2-jpg.290719

antifa-hate1.jpg

DHovxNvVwAAVkyF.jpg

1*GcgA4bcpBj47vHE2geB4pg.jpeg

tumblr_ok6vuoEeza1tduuewo1_500.jpg

I've seen a bunch of masked people with giant banners containing white letters on a black background before, now where was it? Syria is think?

1 hour ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

No, but there have been actual full-scale riots between the two groups. Dismiss them as "fringe" if you want, it won't help you understand why the Right acts the way it does.

2 hours ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

Odd, I don't think i have commented much about "collusion" here.  My general position has been lets wait and see what the Mueller probe reports.  Also, if you can find posts of mine praising Saudi Arabia or Israel, I'll be quite surprised.  I would probably be pretty amused if the Trumpster aimed his insults at either of them, I think they have far too much influence on US policy.  If you want to talk about influencing US elections, AIPAC make the Russians look like total amateurs.  While I would like the US and Russia to have decent relations, I think the goals and long term ambitions of the two countries are fundamentally at odds, meaning relations are never going to be fantastic.  Overcoming decades of mistrust is not easy.   

Well then I assumed wrongly, I must be confusing your posts with others. Sorry about that then.

2 hours ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

We are certainly trying to go after the life blood of their economy. That's a bit too big of a difference to overlook. Personally, I think it would be hilarious if we teamed up with Russia to take a big bite out of Saudi Arabia's oil exports, but that will never happen.