Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Anti-air thread: Everything that goes up must come down, and we'll help you go down

Bronezhilet

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just wonder, i know next to nothing about air defense, at least on the paper the latest version of Pantsir is much better than the latest Tor (range of detection and interception of targets, for example). But if that´s indeed the case, what makes Tor preferable for SHORAD in various units of the Russian Army?

11 minutes ago, alanch90 said:

I just wonder, i know next to nothing about air defense, at least on the paper the latest version of Pantsir is much better than the latest Tor (range of detection and interception of targets, for example). But if that´s indeed the case, what makes Tor preferable for SHORAD in various units of the Russian Army?

Tor can follow mechanized formations and cover them on the move through various terrain. Pantsir can not. 

Tor is used by the mobile army units while Pantsir is used by the airforce, mainly to protect long-range SAM sites. 

1 minute ago, Beer said:

Tor can follow mechanized formations and cover them on the move through various terrain. Pantsir can not. 

Tor is used by the mobile army units while Pantsir is used by the airforce, mainly to protect long-range SAM sites. 

Well that depends on the vehicle that the system is mounted on, both can be mounted on tracked or wheeled platforms. My question is why Tor was selected to go with maneuver units while Pantsir was assigned to other types of formations.

7 minutes ago, N-L-M said:

The fact that TOR actually works? 

I know that there was an article about Pantsir underperforming in Syria, but if it´s true that the system is useless, then why are the russians buying new ones?

13 minutes ago, alanch90 said:

but if it´s true that the system is useless, then why are the russians buying new ones?

The system is supposed to be a lower cost and higher stowed kill anti-PGM system AFAIK, and theres a need for both of those in any modern military. The system has not quite lived up to expectations and so until it properly matures its not likely to replace existing systems but even in its limited state it fills a useful function.

17 minutes ago, N-L-M said:

The system is supposed to be a lower cost and higher stowed kill anti-PGM system AFAIK, and theres a need for both of those in any modern military. The system has not quite lived up to expectations and so until it properly matures its not likely to replace existing systems but even in its limited state it fills a useful function.

Just by looking at the missiles both systems shoot i can already guess which one is the most expensive. But the radars on the Pantsir are huge compared to the Tor (and also claims a much better capabilities in that regard) so i just don't understand why instead of having two separate system that fulfill similar missions they didn´t unified the best components of each one into a single weapon system.