Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

The other TFB bit that caught my attention was the "Pour your own 80 percent lower" story. I understand guys wanting to be handy and making their own guns and figuring out new ways to do it. But I never really bought the argument about how these 80 percent lowers are great for "those wanting to avoid the prying eyes of the US Government."

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/02/08/cast-mold-your-own-ar-lower-receiver/#disqus_thread

Because it's not like the people buying these things aren't leaving a digital footprint with credit card purchases. And even if they buy the lower with cash, most are buying the uppers, bolt receiver groups, barrels, lower parts kits, buffer tubes and handguards with credit cards and via online websites, all of which leaves a glorious digital footprint.

The other TFB bit that caught my attention was the "Pour your own 80 percent lower" story. I understand guys wanting to be handy and making their own guns and figuring out new ways to do it. But I never really bought the argument about how these 80 percent lowers are great for "those wanting to avoid the prying eyes of the US Government."

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/02/08/cast-mold-your-own-ar-lower-receiver/#disqus_thread

Because it's not like the people buying these things aren't leaving a digital footprint with credit card purchases. And even if they buy the lower with cash, most are buying the uppers, bolt receiver groups, barrels, lower parts kits, buffer tubes and handguards with credit cards and via online websites, all of which leaves a glorious digital footprint.

People like to think they're getting away with secret squirrel stuff.

For example, there's a fairly good market for used analogue/digital radio encryption gear with certain groups of ham radio operators, stuff like Motorola SABRE radios and encryption key loaders, despite the fact that encryption isn't allowed on the ham radio bands. (Proprietary closed-source digital voice stuff like DSTAR is allowed, because in the eyes of the FCC since anybody can go and buy a DSTAR radio, it's not encrypted)

I think we've come to the conclusion here that the best way to make a "smart gun" feasible would be to switch over entirely to some sort of electronic ignition rather than mate it, ad hoc, to existing semi-automatic technology. 

Which brings about the archaic ATF regulations about having weapons capable of fully automatic fire.

It kinda annoys me that Ian and some other historians try to downplay the significance of the Fedorov. It's a select-fire, controllable, relatively simple, environmentally-hardened, rifle-power sub-10lb individual weapon designed in 1916. How is that not a big fucking deal?

Ian for example complains that the Fedorov is complicated, then compares it to the very complex Farquhar-Hill (which weighs about 5 pounds more!). Here's a disassembled Fedorov:

249-01.jpg

Shit, that thing almost looks less complicated than a 1921 Thompson (and it probably was cheaper to make)!

Well according to this source, Tula was pumping out boomsticks for the Red Army: http://rbth.com/articles/2012/08/24/tula_russias_armory_17623.html

"Following the overthrow of the Romanov dynasty in 1917, the city’s factories were seen as an essential asset for the Bolsheviks during the Russian civil war and afterwards."

But then in this article on the same site, it says Lenin hated Tula: http://rbth.com/articles/2011/09/20/tula_loved_by_tolstoy_hated_by_lenin_13469.html

"A building directly opposite the city’s central bus station proudly boasts: “Tula has enormous importance for the republic.” It is the start of a quote by Vladimir Lenin, but few long-time residents and even fewer visitors to the city know how this quote ends: “but the people here are not our kind.” The man who called on Russia’s proletariat to rise up took a dislike to the Tula gunmakers because they were in no hurry to repair rifles for revolutionaries free of charge."

So uh, I got nothing in the way of scholarly sources, numbers, etc.

That said, considering everyone just said "fuck this" and bailed on WWI only to get plunged into another giant shitstorm, folks can be forgiven for less than meticulous record keeping (and holding onto said records).