Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

its a night vision sight dingis 

Yeah and?

You do know that, these days, and probably a bit before "these days" that they've been manufacturing next gen night vision scopes that happen to not be the size and weight of your average space observatory right?

Yeah and?

You do know that, these days, and probably a bit before "these days" that they've been manufacturing next gen night vision scopes that happen to not be the size and weight of your average space observatory right?

What?

I thought that was normal  :huh:

all the smaller ones ive seen are helmet mounted 

What?

I thought that was normal  :huh:

all the smaller ones ive seen are helmet mounted 

0040176_morovision_mv_14_ultra_mini_mono

Gen 3 x1-2 unit behind the EOTech

It can also be fitted to a helmet or used as a monocular like you said though.

03.jpg

Gen 3 x4 magnification

Vulcan-6_06.jpg

Gen 3+ x6

I mean yeah, sure Night vision and FLIR/Thermal sights are retardedly expensive, (but, when have they honestly not been?) But you can get them much lighter and in a smaller, space saving package now at least.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/12/30/ak-107-balanced-action-rifle-slow-motion-larry-vickers-moscow-trip/

Just watched the AK-107 vid.

Holy ever-living fuck.  The balanced recoil system is stupid effective. The goddamned muzzle barely twitches on full auto even on high speed.

Fuck.

Mind=Blown.

Watching a video of just how well that works is literally mind blowing. 

Ok, I want one now.

And now here comes Alex C to mock us with his expensive collection of Night Vision, FLIR/Thermal, and other exotic scopes like his UV scopes he uses to casually hunt Vampires equipped with IR decoys with.

I see how it is!

MMmmmm... Chinese Type 81 derivative, the "EM356".

2dkhlqs.jpg

Basically these were at the 1989 SHOT Show but were banned by the Bush EO the next month.

Apparently three came in as importer samples, all with different stock configs.

From a source of mine:

"I spoke to someone who owns a couple other of these (the fixed stock and underfloor examples. Apparently none of them came into the US with magazines, and it appears the magazines were never even fully developed for them. Yours and the other two are the only ones made it would seem."

So after spending a lot of time with a dremel, a managed to get a Beryl magazine to fit.

I tried:

Valmet M76

Galil

AK74

Norinco 5.56

Beryl

SAR 3/Waffle

And all of them were not even close to fitting in factory config.

And now here comes Alex C to mock us with his expensive collection of Night Vision, FLIR/Thermal, and other exotic scopes like his UV scopes he uses to casually hunt Vampires equipped with IR decoys with.

I see how it is!

Lol. I have a PVS-7 with a horrendous blem and a gen 3 scope that is.... old:

2i87s03.jpg

But still Gen 3! Kind of neat as it came from the era when HK ruled the civilian tactical marketplace (and was offered with the STANAG mount as pictured):

2vsm1cx.jpg

The type 81 was before the 5.8x42mm was conceived and still the standard service round at the time, the very first type 87s were basically rechambered Type 81s, with some later batches having some differences, and the PLA never used the 5.45x39mm so some form of recoil dampening would make sense when you didn't foresee a new standard issue round taking it's place with 100% certainty in the future.

They didn't want to adpot the 5.45mm, they knew about it yeah, hell, they knew enough about it to help North Korea chamber new rifles in the design, they just chose not to use it themselves. (Those really odd helical mag AK 5.45 variants they use? you'll never guess who they got the technical information from.)

Relations with the USSR/WP at the time were.... complicated.