Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

One thing I've always found goofy has always been that verbal tick of the gun community to say "that's a good round." They'll say it about literally everything that's commonly fired. Like, yeah, it's a good round, because it was either a)adopted by a large, renowned military and/or B) has been popular enough to stay in vogue over a very long time. The only rounds I'd say are bad are the ones nobody actually uses. I'm not annoyed by it, but saying a round that everybody uses is "good" feels like someone proudly stating the obvious, like "a dog is a good pet" or something.

The funny thing is that there are such things as good and bad rounds, but nobody cares about what actually does or does not make a round good.

Like, 7.62x39 is pretty much a sack of potatoes ballistically, but it's still wildly popular.

AKs and SKSs are pretty much the reason for that. :P SKSs used to be stupid cheap no?   I've heard a lot of stories from gun folks I know of an SKS being thier first military type rifle.

AKs and SKSs are pretty much the reason for that. :P SKSs used to be stupid cheap no?   I've heard a lot of stories from gun folks I know of an SKS being thier first military type rifle.

SKSs were, at one point, less than one hundred bucks, during the glorious early days of the looting of commieland.  I've heard rumors that Norinco made SKS variants intended specifically for the US commercial market, but I've never really looked into those stories.  My SKS-ology is fairly weak.

AKs were never stupid cheap in the US, and actually at one point were quite rare.  But they're everywhere now, especially Romanian ones.  I think this has to do with Ceausescu being insane and wanting to build enough rifles to arm every Romanian twice so he could stick it to the USSR ('cause getting into a fight with the Russians ended so well the last time they tried that).  When the Cold War ended they had slightly more AK parts kits than trees.  Or something like that.  See Tied's Romania thread; it was a really strange country.

SKSs were, at one point, less than one hundred bucks, during the glorious early days of the looting of commieland.  I've heard rumors that Norinco made SKS variants intended specifically for the US commercial market, but I've never really looked into those stories.  My SKS-ology is fairly weak.

AKs were never stupid cheap in the US, and actually at one point were quite rare.  But they're everywhere now, especially Romanian ones.  I think this has to do with Ceausescu being insane and wanting to build enough rifles to arm every Romanian twice so he could stick it to the USSR ('cause getting into a fight with the Russians ended so well the last time they tried that).  When the Cold War ended they had slightly more AK parts kits than trees.  Or something like that.  See Tied's Romania thread; it was a really strange country.

Romania was part of the Warsaw Pact, and though i dont doubt them being alittle paranoid about a Russian invasion, it could just as easy be a step against HATO aggression or invasion from neighboring states

and i didnt try to give the impression that the country is queer, but rather shed some light on a less focused Warsaw Pact country with the help of a Romanian friend from Reddit

It has its on domestic quirks in terms of home grown tech, but it certainty isnt that strange, and Ceausescu didnt deserve the fia-fiat?, um feight? shit i cant spell- death he got, he didnt deserve to die 

......but i could be lying, looks like you have to take your asses and likes to the Romania thread and find out for yourself  ;)

Holy shit A Fascist Corgi is so fucking dumb.

How many articles has he gone on so far in his "I'm a dipshit with a gross misunderstanding of ballistics and modern warfare" tirade so far now?

Holy shit A Fascist Corgi is so fucking dumb.

How many articles has he gone on so far in his "I'm a dipshit with a gross misunderstanding of ballistics and modern warfare" tirade so far now?

That was actually a totally different person, that time. Anyway, AFC does pretty much the same shit lower in that thread.

Looks like Ruger didn't pay Tim enough ;) :

That was actually a totally different person, that time. Anyway, AFC does pretty much the same shit lower in that thread.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to.

That Fegelein guy is also a serial dipshit now that I think of it though.