Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

Magwedge-Angeleye-Rifle-Mirror.jpg

I was going to say "America, you never cease to amuse me" but it's made by a Canadian company.

Dear firearms industry,

What.

Regards,

Bronezhilet

It's to capture Meplat's look of disappointment when he sees you using this gun.

tumblr_o06zs8EUJc1r9khx4o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o06zs8EUJc1r9khx4o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_o06zs8EUJc1r9khx4o2_1280.jpg

I don't even remember which one, but I swear this exact shotgun was used as an inspiration for some fucking video game weapon fairly recently.

Flashbacks to when we'd use each other's posts for semi-related rants and confused each other into getting into debates and posting more semi-related rants.

One of the local gun store owners loves talking about the M14 as "the best battle rifle ever created." If I were to say "Please stop calling them 'battle rifles', it just feeds into the mainstream media BS," how hard to you think he'd slap me? On the other hand, if I filmed it, would anyone pay me?

Just tell him that by calling it a "battle rifle", he's feeding into the Patriarchy's lies about the gender binary.

I've watched the whole thing. For the scholar, there's no reason you need to watch it, unless you need to see a real FG-42 being shot (which starts at about 43 minutes, by the way).

Still, it was not without its merits. It was fun, at the least.

Seeing the way that the FG42 owner's collection was displayed blew my mind.

That was spectacularly well done.

Genuinely interested in that. I've gotten to hold and use a lot of WW1 and 2 stuff from volunteering at the museum, but anything past like 1950 is over my head, and I've handled next to nothing made at those times.

On an unrelated note, I'd like to see more gun comparison that goes beyond the simple evaluations we've seen a million times. I like the kind of stuff that's like "<X> Gun may be lighter, but you carry less ammunition than a <Y> Gun loadout of the same weight." Or things like "<X> can put this many rounds on target at this range in this amount of time versus <Y>." Then there's stuff like shooter fatigue factoring in and everything. I just feel like you don't see as much strategic analyzation over tactical in popular firearm media. I'm also kind of tired of the "historically significant" tag without given any further context. So something was the first bolt-action assault rifle or whatever. What does that mean? Was there a sudden arms race like the Lebel, or was it mostly just innovation that didn't really spark any interest, like the Fedorov?

Anyhow, finally sprang for a Yugo SKS (PAP M59 if my guess is right). The guy I buy from is a bit of a goober who overprices anything not-Russian (I'm really eyeing that low-serial M38 of his more More Mosin), but he seems to trust me enough to make a deal.. Pics eventually when I get the last of the cosmoline off.

Genuinely interested in that. I've gotten to hold and use a lot of WW1 and 2 stuff from volunteering at the museum, but anything past like 1950 is over my head, and I've handled next to nothing made at those times.

On an unrelated note, I'd like to see more gun comparison that goes beyond the simple evaluations we've seen a million times. I like the kind of stuff that's like "<X> Gun may be lighter, but you carry less ammunition than a <Y> Gun loadout of the same weight." Or things like "<X> can put this many rounds on target at this range in this amount of time versus <Y>." Then there's stuff like shooter fatigue factoring in and everything. I just feel like you don't see as much strategic analyzation over tactical in popular firearm media. I'm also kind of tired of the "historically significant" tag without given any further context. So something was the first bolt-action assault rifle or whatever. What does that mean? Was there a sudden arms race like the Lebel, or was it mostly just innovation that didn't really spark any interest, like the Fedorov?

Anyhow, finally sprang for a Yugo SKS (PAP M59 if my guess is right). The guy I buy from is a bit of a goober who overprices anything not-Russian (I'm really eyeing that low-serial M38 of his more More Mosin), but he seems to trust me enough to make a deal.. Pics eventually when I get the last of the cosmoline off.

I weighed 57 rifles and submachine guns, and their magazines, and the first part covers the first 30 of those. While the majority are newer carbines and assault rifles, there's quite a lot of older stuff, too, going all the way back to 1894. There will also be a third part giving some analysis of the results. Hopefully this will help people see why I defend the AR-15 so damn much, too, hahah.

Thanks to Alex for letting me get my dirty hands on his glorious gun collection, and for filling in some holes I, erm, forgot, specifically in the magazine department.

Are you saying you want to know a bit more than whether it "fucking holds zero man"? I'm being a bit mean to AKOU, but I prefer their earlier evaluations of guns where they really tortured the shit out of them, versus just shooting it at 300 yards and dropping it a few times.

Anyway, every time I come at it from that angle, I piss people off. Nobody wants to hear that their favorite rifle or round is overly heavy, or see an in-depth analysis of this or that round's ballistics. They want the clickbaity shit, and they want a whipping post and someone to tie to it. That's why it was so funny when Ian and Karl went all elementary schoolteacher on me for using a "clickbait" title. Uh, yeah, that's the point of a title, dumbass.

Meanwhile, Light Rifle gets a mere 70 comments...  :rolleyes: I should have titled it "The Full Auto M1 Garands The Army Doesn't Want You To See, You Won't BELIEVE Number 8!"

I know your national pride compels you to act like a retard, but for the record, the rifle they tested was not a WASR. It was built off accepted Romanian military parts.

My only real complaint besides the pointlessness of the tests is not using a military AR-15, but I can understand that it would not be easy to get a hold of one. It mostly does its job of challenging a lot of the myths that have stuck onto the AR since Vietnam. Didn't the M4A1 come in first in an international sand/dirt trial or something anyway?

My only real complaint besides the pointlessness of the tests is not using a military AR-15, but I can understand that it would not be easy to get a hold of one. It mostly does its job of challenging a lot of the myths that have stuck onto the AR since Vietnam. Didn't the M4A1 come in first in an international sand/dirt trial or something anyway?

The tests aren't really pointless if you know what you're looking at. Just keep in mind the kinds of malfunctions the rifles are having, where grit's getting in, etc, and that gives you a very good idea of the vulnerabilities of each system.

Also, auto-leveling really helps bring out my pistol's eyes:

OelPJJA.jpg

zmnDfwY.jpg

The tests aren't really pointless if you know what you're looking at. Just keep in mind the kinds of malfunctions the rifles are having, where grit's getting in, etc, and that gives you a very good idea of the vulnerabilities of each system.

Also, auto-leveling really helps bring out my pistol's eyes:

Fair point, I guess. I'd be more interested in what the main causes of the certain AK stoppages would be, now that you mention it. It was interesting to hear you describe how the air system in the AR-15 blows the receiver clean. I'm about as green as it comes to that kind of information, so I found it interesting.