Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

But where's the hammer

how does it fire without the hammer?

did the hammer fall off, i think he needs to buy a new sidearm 

regardless, i couldnt hear anything in the video because someone was firing a REAL firearm in the background 

Quick question: could an M1 carbine be successfully chambered for 5.56x45mm?

Edit: I promise that this is not for alt-history purposes.

Convert an actual M1 carbine to 5.56x45mm, instead of design a scaled-up one?

It would require maaaaajor surgery.  The only thing left over from the original gun would be the serial number.

5.56x45mm has a wider case head than 7.62x33mm, so the bolt face would need to be opened up.  5.56x45mm also runs at higher pressures, so the bolt thrust will be higher.  Not sure that the original locking lugs would be up to it, or if the original receiver tennon is wide enough to support a barrel that can take those pressures.  That may need some (difficult) re-jiggering.

5.56x45mm also has a longer case overall length, so you would need to open up the magazine well area of the receiver.  This is not an easy operation; you would need to slice the receiver in half and weld in a splice to lengthen it.  While you're at it you would need to make a new trigger housing assembly to match the stretched receiver and to house... whatever sort of magazine you'd come up with for this project.

The operating slide would require a new spring that could translate far enough to cycle the longer cartridge, but you'd want to redesign the whole fucker if you could because 5.56x45mm has such higher pressure, higher velocity and lower expansion ratio, so the original gas port location is much, much too close to the chamber to work ideally.

There are probably a few other things I'm missing.

Convert an actual M1 carbine to 5.56x45mm, instead of design a scaled-up one?

It would require maaaaajor surgery. The only thing left over from the original gun would be the serial number.

5.56x45mm has a wider case head than 7.62x33mm, so the bolt face would need to be opened up. 5.56x45mm also runs at higher pressures, so the bolt thrust will be higher. Not sure that the original locking lugs would be up to it, or if the original receiver tennon is wide enough to support a barrel that can take those pressures. That may need some (difficult) re-jiggering.

5.56x45mm also has a longer case overall length, so you would need to open up the magazine well area of the receiver. This is not an easy operation; you would need to slice the receiver in half and weld in a splice to lengthen it. While you're at it you would need to make a new trigger housing assembly to match the stretched receiver and to house... whatever sort of magazine you'd come up with for this project.

The operating slide would require a new spring that could translate far enough to cycle the longer cartridge, but you'd want to redesign the whole fucker if you could because 5.56x45mm has such higher pressure, higher velocity and lower expansion ratio, so the original gas port location is much, much too close to the chamber to work ideally.

There are probably a few other things I'm missing.

Boo hiss, where will my fantasy korean army get their guns now?

Also: thanks