Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

United States Military Vehicle General: Guns, G*vins, and Gas Turbines

Tied

3 hours ago, Clan_Ghost_Bear said:

In my opinion a diesel will be the best option. This design doesn't improve fuel efficiency the way modern diesels do. Plus we know Honeywell offered this design in the past but the Army showed little interest. Maybe this engine configuration can be useful for other operators of the M1. LrNiyqr.jpg

1 hour ago, Clan_Ghost_Bear said:

@StarshipDirect Keep in mind that one of the Army's main goals for M1E3 is a significant weight reduction, which is a key turbine advantage. Best not to count it out too soon.

Hide contents

hikYend.png

0WDy1Vk.png

xLdwAL7.png

Fuel efficiency will be prioritized over weight. Saving 1 ton of engine weight is not a big tradeoff for fuel and oil costs. Even with the fuel efficient LV100 you still need a lot of oils. Not sure if Honeywell will even offer the LV100. The Army has invested a lot of money into Cummins for the Advanced Combat Engine. 

Rheinmetall Waffe Munition GMBH, Trittau, Germany, was awarded a $9,400,000 firm-fixed-price contract for high-energy cannon system parts and maintenance. Bids were solicited via the internet with one received. Work locations and funding will be determined with each order, with an estimated completion date of Oct. 30, 2028. Army Contracting Command, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland, is the contracting activity (W911QX-24-D-0002).

> U.S. Department of Defense > Contract

What would the "high-energy cannon system" be? Rh130 samples for testing?

Wouldn't Yuma Proving Ground be the contracting entity instead, then? That's where the XM1299 is also tested, since YPG has the longest overland artillery firing range in the entire continent and is the ideal place for long-range testing (especially for the ERCA trials).

Aberdeen Proving Ground, on the other hand, would be the better stomping grounds for prototype/testbed MBTs and other AFVs (including Russian T90s "donated" by Ukraine for testing).

I'll see if I can get Nick Moran to give his two cents on this (not confirm the identity of the mystery system; simply the YPG vs APG preference).

Got a response from The Chieftain:

It's not really a subject I've looked into. I wouldn't be shocked to see a vehicle put into some trials around Fort Bliss, either, as it's adjacent to the White Sands Missile Range, and also has stupidly long lines of fire.

However, the 'contracting' agency would probably be PEO Ground Systems or PM Fires. 

A pre-existing system already present at APG, then?