Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

United States Military Vehicle General: Guns, G*vins, and Gas Turbines

Tied

1 hour ago, BaronTibere said:

I wouldn't be surprised if GDLS wants to develop the AbramsX demonstrator turret into something for this.

From this:  

“We can no longer grow its capabilities without adding weight, and we need to reduce its logistical footprint,” Maj. Gen. Glenn Dean, the Army’s program executive officer for ground combat systems, said in the statement. “The war in Ukraine has highlighted a critical need for integrated protections for soldiers, built from within instead of adding on.”

It sounds like AbramsX is the path forward. 

Whatever happened to the M1A2C, M1A2D designations that they used for a short while ago to replace the SEP nonsense? Too short to adequately pad a briefing or Powerpoint presentation?

I wouldn't mind seeing the AbramsX eventually molting into a M1A3 (if only to pave the way for the clean-sheet DLP), but only if they add protected, non-ready ammo storage inside the turret basket. I'm not too impressed with the twenty-something capacity that the AbramsX' bustle-only carousel provides.

Anyway, the AbramsX is relatively close to what the Block III Abrams hoped to be at one point.

I agree with his point that Abrams X didn't cause this decision. However I suspect GDLS knew this decision was in the making and that's why they made the Abrams X. It seems far too convenient that it checks a lot of the boxes the army was looking for.

I don't think the M1A3 will be Abrams X but I think many of the features will jump over and I wouldn't be surprised if the base turret is used in some form. How does this work though - will other firms bid on this or does it just go to GDLS as the abrams design owner?

23 hours ago, Clan_Ghost_Bear said:

YmJ4T71.jpg

Very hard to tell from the image quality, but the hull looks unchanged.

Turret looks narrower (unmanned + Trophy sponsons?), but I'd digest CADs like this (viewed at an angle, to boot) with a healthy dose of salt.

Holy crap. I've been trying to put a name and specific role on that black cylinder for ages.

On 9/13/2023 at 7:51 PM, Clan_Ghost_Bear said:

YmJ4T71.jpg

Very hard to tell from the image quality, but the hull looks unchanged.

According to Nick Moran on tanknet, who had the chance to watch the actual conference video, the caption reads "M1E3-NG MBT".

However, there is also an asterisk at the bottom of the slide, introducing the following warning: "Digital designs not representative of prototype vehicles".

@Umbe_b Yes.

0jQXw90.png

https://gdls-nextgen.com/us-campaign/

Looks like the StrykerX (now called the Stryker QB) will be returning to AUSA, but the AbramsX will not.

Edit: The Army Science Board released their final report on the 5th Generation Combat Vehicle recently, which features a clear, crisp image (finally) of one of the OMT designs. It 404s when linking but is available on their site.

4zHAY38.png

DJI1515.png

Edited by Clan_Ghost_Bear

On 9/23/2023 at 7:31 AM, Clan_Ghost_Bear said:

@Umbe_b Yes.

0jQXw90.png

https://gdls-nextgen.com/us-campaign/

Looks like the StrykerX (now called the Stryker QB) will be returning to AUSA, but the AbramsX will not.

Edit: The Army Science Board released their final report on the 5th Generation Combat Vehicle recently, which features a clear, crisp image (finally) of one of the OMT designs. It 404s when linking but is available on their site.

4zHAY38.png

DJI1515.png

https://asb.army.mil/Portals/105/Documents/2020s/FY 2020 BF2040 ExSum (E).pdf?ver=G5s0339zk2MpT-xp5l4Ypw%3d%3d