Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

UAV thread

Toxn

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2021 at 1:13 AM, LoooSeR said:

TV report (or PR piece?) on Lantset loitering munition. Crappy, but footage is interesting.

Lantset model in Special forces boat

mEAUgdp.png

Looks like MoD is interested in getting Lantsets into service.

"The tactical and technical assignment for the Lancet loitering ammunition has been agreed by the state customer, state tests will begin at the end of this year," the Kalashnikov reported, noting that the prototypes of the Lancet, which will be submitted for state tests, "were finalized taking into account the experience their application ”. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

About Chinese UAVs for exports - they appear to be shit-tier products.

https://t.me/atomiccherry/385

Yesterday one of the readers asked a very reasonable and interesting question - if Russia has such serious problems in the design and production of UAVs, then why not buy finished products from China?

Perhaps I will begin this text with a counter question - in 2020, in Libya, Chinese attack drones were used no less than the Turkish TB-2 Bayraktar, but have you heard anything about their success?

It is more likely that your answer will be strictly negative, and this is by no means an accident - the machines produced in the PRC showed themselves in an extremely negative light in all the conflicts in which they took part, and, moreover, turned out to be extremely ineffective even in peacetime.

▪️ Two out of three UAVs had inoperative GPS equipment since the beginning of the introduction of the devices into military operation;
 ▪️ On an ongoing basis, there was a nitrogen leak from the EO / IR cameras installed on the UAV, as a result of which the electro-optical / infrared systems were practically useless;
▪️ Serious malfunctions were detected in high-performance synthetic aperture radar (SAR) within a few hours after the drones were put into service; 
 ▪️ Another critical issue is related to SATCOM (satellite communications). Failure of satellite communication antennas on Chinese drones was recorded even before the start of test flights;
 ▪️ One of the most common defects in the fuel system is the failure of the fuel pump (in 60% of the aircraft fleet).

These are typical Chinese attack drone problems taken from the Pakistani Air Force's official records. It is extremely difficult to convince the Pakistanis of lying, because Islamabad is an ally of the PRC, and other UAV buyers from China (Iraq, Ethiopia, Saudi Arabia) faced absolutely the same difficulties in their operation. In all of these countries, about 80% of the drones supplied by Beijing turned out to be unable not only to carry out combat missions, but even to make regular flights.

The situation is aggravated by the fact that the PRC refuses to carry out any after-sales work and engineering support for buyers - which is doubly absurd, Pakistan and Iraq even reported direct refusals to purchase spare parts for Chinese drones from Beijing (!).

Among other things, high-precision Chinese weapons, which had a large number of cases of failures in combat conditions, also raise big questions.

It is worth noting another important fact - Chinese drones, contrary to popular belief, do not consist of components made in China. So, for example, on the "High on War" channel, photos of the downed CH-4B drone were recently published, in the wreckage of which elements of the engine of the Austrian company Rotax are visible.

Separately, it is worth mentioning another important (and very strange!) nuance of the construction of Chinese UAVs: contrary to all world practice, they are made of duralumin, not composites. This negatively affects their ability to remain undetected for the radar - unlike composite drones, they are a highly visible target, and suffered significant losses in conflicts even against an enemy with an underdeveloped air defense (as was the case in Yemen).

At the moment, China is actively losing the UAV market - old customers refuse its products due to negative operating results, and new ones do not appear - they are looking for a proven and effective weapon, sometimes finding it in the face of the Turkish UAVs from Bayraktar.

1 hour ago, LoooSeR said:

About Chinese UAVs for exports - they appear to be shit-tier products.

https://t.me/atomiccherry/385

Not that I don't believe this but who is the author and what are his sources?

I've always thought that the Chinese drones where of poor quality, but when it recently got leaked that the Egyptians needed French aerial (manned) ISR capability to bomb some smugglers while they supposedly have a fleet of dozens of Chinese drones, it really sealed my view of Chinese drones.

On 12/18/2021 at 11:36 PM, LoooSeR said:

Video showing test engagement between medium sized armed UAV "Orion" (with Kornet ATGMs, i guess) and helicopter-type UAV.

Something interesting was spotted in this video:

16400175674869024101294623615369.jpg

New Semi-active laser homing Kornet. Arrows point at sections of the missiles that are different from standart.

Previous version of this missile. 9M133FM-3:

1640017663122563916211058181375.jpg

16400177392416310679659655182582.jpg

Target being lased.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/23/2019 at 1:36 PM, LoooSeR said:

Log

A fucking plywood drones, lel

:

Stolen from our discord, Bele linked to an article about this UAV type - now they are deployed.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/44111/autonomous-resupply-gliders-made-successful-deliveries-on-their-first-overseas-deployment

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Euro drone male seems like total BS project that is in some ways to large to be an attritional piece of gear offers little in capability over much smaller drones and is typical of joined euro projects ends up overpriced and under delivering. 

56 minutes ago, mr.T said:

Euro drone male seems like total BS project that is in some ways to large to be an attritional piece of gear offers little in capability over much smaller drones and is typical of joined euro projects ends up overpriced and under delivering. 

That's what you get when one partner impose the drone to have a twin engine and be able to insert itself in civilian airspace.

But that's something we have to swallow if we want to kickstart European independence on an industrial level (which is badly needed as reminded by current events).

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2022 at 5:34 PM, Alzoc said:

That's what you get when one partner impose the drone to have a twin engine and be able to insert itself in civilian airspace.

But that's something we have to swallow if we want to kickstart European independence on an industrial level (which is badly needed as reminded by current events).

If that's something you'd have to swallow in hopes to achieve industrial independence, i suggest to either resurrect De Gaulle or give the program managers Kurchevsky's* treatment.

Not that i think i know better than those it's actually supposed to concern; i just honestly don't see how else you may succeed.

* — brought up on charges of criminal overpromising and underdelivering and summarily executed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...