Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

In my opinion it is a very bad scaled model of a Leopard 1 with casted turret, not showing the TEM2A rangefinder flaps. Instead of the rubber track skirts ERA shaped skirts are attached. One row, not separated, no track work possible. For me it seems to be a quick and dirty design study only.

5 hours ago, Sovngard said:

I expressed myself poorly, I was referring to the unknown model of ERA.

I was having a joke :) 

But honestly, wouldn’t know. It looks a little like the blazer fitted to the M60s during desert storm, with its very square shape and the way it appears to be mounted, but the side skirts look strange for ERA, more like the sides on the AAVP7A1 or the “razor blade” armor on the T-72 Shafrah’s. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Willy Brandt said:

So DND does the ERA for the Leclerc? Also for the French Army Leclercs? Or only for the export ones?

It was only used on Emirati's Leclerc, French army version never used ERA to my knowledge :

Spoiler

32.jpg

The urban fighting kit Azur, used by the French and Emirati armies, doesn't use ERA but composite skirts (likely NERA) combined with cage armor :

Spoiler

https://live.staticflickr.com/5479/14279187500_22beba2470_b.jpg

https://army-news.ru/images_stati/Leclerc_AZUR_3.jpg

As far as I know, the only time GIAT/Nexter proposed ERA for the Leclerc was for the "Leclerc 2015" project, and only on the turret roof to protect the tank against top attack in combination with 4 hard-kill launchers placed at the corners of the turret :

Spoiler

https://www.armyrecognition.com/moyen_orient/Emirats_arabe/IDEX_2003_Pictures_Gallery/IDEX_2005/pictures_4/Leclerc_2015_army_recognition_IDEX_2005_01.jpg

It never went anywhere

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Timothy Yan said:

Is there any point in using ceramic or HHA plates in ERA? Just lets say money is no problem.

Paul Hazell has a patent on ERA that uses a ceramic flyer plate which fragments shortly after interacting with the jet or penetrator, with the idea being that it reduces collateral damage.  Other than that, I am not sure.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Takes a bit longer than expected. @Wiedzmin, here is the first part. I started with the oldest report, which comes third in the document. At the moment I have only translated the first chapter, further articles will follow for the other chapters  and then for the other reports.

https://below-the-turret-ring.com/history/german-experimental-armor-development-part-i-target-arrays-for-trial-program-16-21-and-22/

This is also the only report containing performance data (though it is still limited), the other reports only mention that the performance data can be found at other places. In general the report "Bericht über die Erprobungspogramme 16, 21 und 22, durchgeführt in der Zeit vom 9.05 bis 13.05.1977 und vom 14.11 bis 18.11.1977 bei der Erprobungsstelle 91 der Bundeswehr in Meppen; B – TU 1911/00" covers three different test arrays. Two of them were used for tests against 105 mm KE/38 APFSDS rounds. This version of German ERA relied on an external ignition system, as the used explosive material (Dottikon) did not detonate by itself when hit.