Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

5 hours ago, Collimatrix said:

Just to clarify @LoooSeR's point; the brick-looking things on Soviet/Russian tanks are the ERA containers.  They're little mild steel boxes with some mounting hardware. 

fP3kVCJ.png

The actual explosive elements can be removed and stored elsewhere.  Usually, the explosive sandwiches are stored somewhere else so they don't catch on fire or accidentally detonate or (and this is really the most likely problem) get stolen by bored conscripts who want to make a quick buck.

There was a nasty rumor that a lot of government tanks in the Ukranian Civil War were going into combat with just the containers installed, but no actual ERA inside those containers.  The explosive inserts had long since been misplaced, and the boxes were just for show at that point.

Hey are you old "Collimatrix" from the Combat Arms forums many Eons ago? 

Restyled Tigr from Army 2018.

dMwr3.jpg

/.../

The car received an armored engine compartment, anti-traumatic chairs, a new air intake with protection from dust and water, protective grilles on windows and a camera with a panoramic view, reported in the press service of the "Tiger" producing "Military Industrial Company"

/.../

As explained in the company, this modification is an initiative development taking into account the experience of operating the machines in combat conditions, including in Syria.

The car represents the further development of the special-purpose vehicle ASN 233115 "Tigr-M SpN". In parallel, work is underway on a new generation of "Tiger", which the company promises to present before the end of the year.

ue6ak.jpg

H18A2347

BTR modernization from Arzamas machine factory and VPK.

More:

Spoiler

Kurgan machine factory offroad tracked vehicle

30247558218_a5c3245e92_b.jpg

Sprut-SDM

29177645647_649d1f9956_b.jpg

Armored KamAZ chassis (incl. for Pantsir)

43397024664_1a00ba858d_b.jpg

Ural's armored truck

44115676511_1c62d62047_b.jpg

Vityaz

44115672891_fedde635c1_b.jpg

T-90MS

44115670841_35df52f00f_b.jpg

BMPT-72 (me triggered)

44115669101_c5c12e31a7_b.jpg

BMPT

43398446034_9c1783c3b8_b.jpg

This BTR modernization:

MpaO0.jpg

Is perhaps the least retarded thing seen in this little expo. 

That is an effective power multiplication to a vehicle that badly needs a replacement. 

If it only wasn't for the fact that this is like the 10th variation of a 30mm turret we've seen in the last year alone...

I'm intrigued by this new BTR.  They've moved the engine up front and I'm guessing have a rear hatch now.  I also suspect the turret doesn't penetrate into the crew compartment.  Do we know what the plans/intentions for this thing are?  Proof of concept demonstrator? I don't foresee it being adopted by the Russian army with all the procurement calamity going on now.

4 hours ago, Scolopax said:

I'm intrigued by this new BTR.  They've moved the engine up front and I'm guessing have a rear hatch now.  I also suspect the turret doesn't penetrate into the crew compartment.  Do we know what the plans/intentions for this thing are?  Proof of concept demonstrator? I don't foresee it being adopted by the Russian army with all the procurement calamity going on now.

It is a mock up/demonstrator that those guys are trying to sell for many years. This BTR-87 is old thing, they just add new turret each year. Ru MoD is not interested.

5 hours ago, Ramlaen said:

That is some bright red paint.

Just a cheap way to increase speed

:ian:

5 hours ago, Jim Warford said:

Four Ukrainian-supplied "T-80UDs" arrive at Aberdeen Proving Grounds (Dec 2003-Jan 2004)...

T-80UD_Aberdeen_1.jpg

We have dedicated Ukrainian armor thread for those Kharkovite traitors. BTW they also sold T-84s with Drozd APS

099882b2830d.jpg

7e8eb2ae4263.jpg

Spoiler

30014_900.jpg

11 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

We have dedicated Ukrainian armor thread for those Kharkovite traitors. BTW they also sold T-84s with Drozd APS

099882b2830d.jpg

7e8eb2ae4263.jpg

Hide contents

30014_900.jpg

You're mostly correct...one interesting piece of info regarding this transaction is that the US Army has only referred to these tanks as T-80UDs (that's why I put the "T-80UD" designation in quotation marks )...so the question here is, what are they exactly? If they're T-84s, why didn't everyone just say so? Perhaps it made more sense at the time to not call them T-84s...referring to them as the older and more well-known T-80UD. Maybe they're not truly T-84s...maybe they're a heavily modified T-80UD that was more agreeable to the politicians to be sold to the US? Time will tell...