Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

https://www.shephardmedia.com/news/uv-online/russia-funds-robotic-main-battle-tanks/

Full text:

Russian armoured vehicle manufacturer Uralvagonzavod Corporation (UVZ) has announced plans to develop assault robotic platforms based on the Russian T-72B3 tank chassis.

A Russian Ministry of Defence (MoD) official confirmed the plans and said the robotic tanks will be used in military operations in urban environments. The robots will be operated in groups of up to four combat vehicles.

It is expected that the deliveries of the new tanks to Russian land forces will begin at the end of 2018.

Planned funding for the project has not been disclosed but sources close to the Russian MoD said it will allocate around US$200 million on the initial purchases of the new robotic vehicles.

Operation of the platforms will be carried out by one highly-mobile remote control command post and will have a set of all-round protection against hand-held anti-tank weapons.

It is understood one controller will be able to handle a platoon of combat vehicles within a radius of 3km. The maximum speed of robots with remote control will be 40km/h.

Despite the fact that it is based on the T-72 platform a number of new weapons will be used, for example an upgraded 125mm cannon.

According to a spokesman of the Russian Defence Minister Sergey Shoigu, the new platforms will have an artillery system with high fragmentation-explosive ammunition.

Shooting will be conducted in a programmable mode depending on the combat mission, entered into the on-board computer of the platform using data from previously reconnoitred targets.

Shoigu’s spokesman commented: ‘Due to a more moderate ballistic solution, it was possible to raise the angle of the gun's elevation to 20 degrees. This is important when fighting in the city - in order to fire on the upper floors of buildings.’

One of the major features of the new robotic tank is its high protection, which is said to retain combat capability after being hit by 10-15 rounds from an anti-tank grenade launcher or mine explosion. This extends to other weapons that can pierce up to 800 mm equivalent of steel armour.

Seems it wasn't just a hoax, at least not yet. I'll have to dig up more sources to see whether they fell for a hoax or that's an actual statement.

EDIT: Nothing on Otvaga or Sputnik yet. Same with RIA, TASS, or RT. The search continues.

1 hour ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

https://www.shephardmedia.com/news/uv-online/russia-funds-robotic-main-battle-tanks/

Full text:

Seems it wasn't just a hoax, at least not yet. I'll have to dig up more sources to see whether they fell for a hoax or that's an actual statement.

EDIT: Nothing on Otvaga or Sputnik yet. Same with RIA, TASS, or RT. The search continues.

It is expected that the deliveries of the new tanks to Russian land forces will begin at the end of 2018.

Another bullshit from Russian MoD.

1 hour ago, VPZ said:

Which is why I am surprised to hear this from Shephard, a source I consider respectable enough to make occasional but terrible puns.

Funny thing is the always said word by word as Shoigu's words what was previously described as anonymous source.

4 hours ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

Full text:

I have no idea where they took those words from officials, i don't see them.

Zuk, i already said what it is. Some journalist scum found a slides from presentation (that was posted here as well) and now claims that it is an actual design programm ("OKR"), when in reality it isn't (it was "NIR"), it was more of concept ideas and it is not going anywhere and not going to be made in metal. 

2 hours ago, VPZ said:

I would like to see that claim first, because i don't see it. I suspect that this was article writer imagination.

7 hours ago, AssaultPlazma said:

Why is the Russian Army is such a bad state these days? Werent they taking steps try to make the army more professional and begin developing a strong NCO corps like western nations?  

Sanctions and stagnant economy. 

The big plans to modernize the army in equipment and structure came only after the 2010's, pretty much when the war in eastern Ukraine brought upon them a regime of sanctions. 

Now, sanctions are not a death sentence. It's something one can handle. But Russia's economy, despite being relatively young after the fall of the Soviet Union, sees a very low growth rate. One that may not even compensate for inflation rates. This could have many reasons, chief among them, I believe is corruption. 

Modernization of weaponry takes a lot of money, but so does professionalizing the army. A conscript is paid dimes and nickels. That's pretty universal. Not even minimum wage. But a professional soldier, as I was told, could very easily pay off his mortgage and then some, in just a couple years. 

Exorbitant salaries may definitely be one good reason for an overall not very efficient use of defense funds. 

19 hours ago, AssaultPlazma said:

@LoooSeR

Why is the Russian Army is such a bad state these days? Werent they taking steps try to make the army more professional and begin developing a strong NCO corps like western nations?  

Russian army was in bad state in 1990s and early 2000s. Currently it is in "mediocre" state. It is more professional that it was before.

11 hours ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

Sanctions and stagnant economy. 

The big plans to modernize the army in equipment and structure came only after the 2010's, pretty much when the war in eastern Ukraine brought upon them a regime of sanctions. 

Now, sanctions are not a death sentence. It's something one can handle. But Russia's economy, despite being relatively young after the fall of the Soviet Union, sees a very low growth rate. One that may not even compensate for inflation rates. This could have many reasons, chief among them, I believe is corruption. 

Modernization of weaponry takes a lot of money, but so does professionalizing the army. A conscript is paid dimes and nickels. That's pretty universal. Not even minimum wage. But a professional soldier, as I was told, could very easily pay off his mortgage and then some, in just a couple years. 

Exorbitant salaries may definitely be one good reason for an overall not very efficient use of defense funds. 

Sanctions are not serious problem now, they will be in future if they will become much more serious. Oil industry will start to feel some serious pressure after new "package" sanctions will start. 

Stagnant economy is not directly a reason, although it is fore sure put pressure on planning and cut "fat". 

Although...

The Finance Ministry explained where the money goes, which were claimed to be not enough for current pensions system

Three days after the State Duma speaker Vyacheslav Volodin announced a "hole" in the budget and a shortage of money to pay pensions, the Ministry of Finance reported on a record surplus of the federal treasury since 2011.
   By July, the government collected 10.497 trillion rubles from taxpayers. Against the backdrop of rising oil prices and the fall in the ruble, revenues increased by 1.705 trillion rubles compared to last year's.
   For the first time in seven years, the federal budget is in surplus - for 7 months receipts exceeded expenditures by 1.383 trillion rubles.
   These funds were fully used by the Ministry of Finance to purchase foreign currency, the ministry said.

In total, for this purpose, by August 6, 2,039 trillion rubles were spent. In dollars, euros and pounds sterling, not only the entire budget surplus was converted, but also the funds that the Ministry of Finance occupies on the market through federal loan bonds in the amount of about 0.7 trillion rubles.

Acquisition of currency became the second largest item of federal budget spending, second only to allocations for "social policy" (2.7 trillion rubles). The latter meanwhile decreased by 238 billion rubles in comparison with the previous year, mainly due to savings on pension provision of the population.

For 7 months, the Pensions Fund received from the budget 1.836 trillion rubles - 280 billion rubles less than a year ago.

Recall, it is the lack of funds in the budget, State Duma Speaker Vyacheslav Volodin on Saturday explained the need to raise the retirement age at a meeting with the residents of Saratov.

"We have a deficit in the state pension system, there is such a hole in it, and it is filled at the expense of the budget. We will have state pensions or not, this is also a question, because the budget became scarce," the chairman of the State Duma

1 hour ago, AssaultPlazma said:

I've always wondered why the Soviet/Russian keep ERA mounted on their tanks despite not being actively deployed to combat zones? 

All ERA containers mounting will be a very long procedure, much longer then just inserting explosives tiles in already mounted ERA containers/modules.

8 hours ago, AssaultPlazma said:

Thank you. 

I know this is a Soviet tank thread, but since you're an Abrams tanker, Plazma, I guess the following video should illustrate just how much of a hassle it is to mount a full ERA complement on your tank...and why you don't want to do that too often:

So, yeah, sometimes it's best to leave the damn things on rather than have to take them off then put back on with every even or odd mission.

There's also modular armor, which can be taken off as larger pieces so it's easier to remove and not so much of a hassle. 

But it's best to use the full armor kit to simulate the weight.

You don't want to be driving around in a 50-ton tank (not illustrative of the Abrams' or any tank's weight) feeling light af, accelerating to 32 km/h in a milisecond, then putting an extra 5 tons only for battle and having to feel those 5 tons whenever you start driving. 

It's something that takes time to get used to, and you don't want to start getting used to something on your moment of truth.

12 hours ago, AssaultPlazma said:

I've always wondered why the Soviet/Russian keep ERA mounted on their tanks despite not being actively deployed to combat zones? 

Just to clarify @LoooSeR's point; the brick-looking things on Soviet/Russian tanks are the ERA containers.  They're little mild steel boxes with some mounting hardware. 

fP3kVCJ.png

The actual explosive elements can be removed and stored elsewhere.  Usually, the explosive sandwiches are stored somewhere else so they don't catch on fire or accidentally detonate or (and this is really the most likely problem) get stolen by bored conscripts who want to make a quick buck.

There was a nasty rumor that a lot of government tanks in the Ukranian Civil War were going into combat with just the containers installed, but no actual ERA inside those containers.  The explosive inserts had long since been misplaced, and the boxes were just for show at that point.

2 hours ago, Collimatrix said:

There was a nasty rumor that a lot of government tanks in the Ukranian Civil War were going into combat with just the containers installed, but no actual ERA inside those containers.  The explosive inserts had long since been misplaced, and the boxes were just for show at that point.

In the '90s the hungarian army bought about 100 T-72A tanks from belarus, of which there were about 4 T-72AV variants. Of course, we didnt buy the explosive inserts... 

2 hours ago, Collimatrix said:

I've heard this rumor before, is there any proof of it being true?