Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Aerospace Pictures and Art Thread

LostCosmonaut

The thing I find fascinating about the A-6 is that it was apparently easier to operate F/A-18s than them.  This was part of the idea of the nearly all-hornet carrier; there was higher sortie generation than F-14+A-6+A-7.

How does that work?  Is the A-6 actually really complex under the hood, or were they just old by that point?

The thing I find fascinating about the A-6 is that it was apparently easier to operate F/A-18s than them.  This was part of the idea of the nearly all-hornet carrier; there was higher sortie generation than F-14+A-6+A-7.

How does that work?  Is the A-6 actually really complex under the hood, or were they just old by that point?

With the F-18 being newer, it was designed to help the ground crew diagnose it's problems and be easy to keep flying. The F-14 and A-6 were designed before that was even a thought.  Upgrades can help somewhat, but nothing can fix how complicated mechanically the two aircraft were. I can't find it right now, but the man hours to keep a F-14 or A-6 flying is more than double an F-18.  You also need better trained techs if the planes don't tell them what's wrong and they actually have to diagnose problems. 

With the F-18 being newer, it was designed to help the ground crew diagnose it's problems and be easy to keep flying. The F-14 and A-6 were designed before that was even a thought.  Upgrades can help somewhat, but nothing can fix how complicated mechanically the two aircraft were. I can't find it right now, but the man hours to keep a F-14 or A-6 flying is more than double an F-18.  You also need better trained techs if the planes don't tell them what's wrong and they actually have to diagnose problems. 

In a pinch, wouldn't the all F-18 wing's supply of stores and mechanics be fungible in a way the mixed wing's wouldn't as well?