Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Aerospace Pictures and Art Thread

LostCosmonaut

Tacit Blue Stealth Demonstrator. That is one fucked up looking aircraft.  Northrop engineer John Cashen : "You're talking about an aircraft that at the time was arguably the most unstable aircraft man had ever flown."[  And looking at it, I can see why.  The freaking mireacly of Fly By Wire.

Tacit_Blue_in_flight.jpg

VAK 191B German VTOL Strike fighter.  3 built.

vak191-1.gif

That cross-section is a good illustration of one of the biggest problems in VTOL design; the center of gravity must be over the center of thrust when the design is in VTOL mode.  The illustration of the puffer jet system is good too.

Apparently the center engine is basically a Spey, but with the swivel nozzles off of a Pegasus.  I don't know WTF they were thinking, since the Pegasus was already available and produced about double the thrust of their VTOL Spey thingie.  Wikipedia claims that they thought the smaller cross section of the engine would reduce drag, but I have no idea how they though they were coming out ahead with the dead weight from those two lift engines if that's what they were really thinking.