Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Aerospace Pictures and Art Thread

LostCosmonaut

As I understand it, atmospheric pressure seriously alters the optimal expansion ratio for a rocket nozzle.  A rocket nozzle that is optimized for sea level performance won't get its best ISP in a vacuum, and vice versa.

An aerospike is to some degree self-adjusting, so it gets pretty good ISP across a range of ambient pressures, but never as good as a a bell nozzle optimized for a single environment.

This makes an aerospike extremely attractive for SSTO concepts, but less so for traditional staged launchers.

There's also a hell of a lot more precise machining and a rather alarming amount of surface area that needs cooled in a linear aerospike.  I've also read that there are weird shock wave interactions at certain mach numbers with aerospike nozzles that lead to a loss of efficiency.

I think they would be basically competitive though, and probably more popular if the human species were, you know, seriously in the business of throwing things into space.