Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Aerospace Pictures and Art Thread

LostCosmonaut

e7ZMWKkqkK4.jpg

MiG-29K on the Kuznetsov, packing R-73 and R-77 air to air missiles.

The R-77 is interesting.  Previously, it was believed that the Russian Air Force had only extremely limited stocks of this advanced missile (which is thought to be roughly equivalent to the AIM-120A).  Initial pictures from the Syrian intervention showed fighters armed with older R-27ER air to air missiles.  But now more and more pictures of Russian fighters armed with R-77s are emerging.  Are the existing stores being brought out?  Has production been restarted?  There are no firm answers at the moment.

14718585_1421298234566538_32353536613249

In a distant, childhood memory, I remember a "USAF and Michigan National Guard" will be flying low altitude missions in your area. ..

This would have been 1978 or 1979..

I distinctly remember seeing a F4 Phantom, come in at what must have been 40 feet AGL, before pulling up hard to miss the steeple of the baptist church  across the street from my home.

While all my friends, and my parents were running for cover, I was in the middle of the street yelling "Yeahhh!"..

Forever, the F4 Phantom is the plane that made me smile.   A few years later my father gave me a small pin that said "Phantom Mach 2 Club". Sadly I've long since lost it, but seems when he was a USAFAC, he got chosen to break the sound barrier in the then new F4.

Later, when I was in Japan, I'd make it a point to take pics of the JASDF F4's taking off from Misawa.  I'm sure the JASDF ground crew got very sick of me harasing them about maintenance. Cause by this point I was working on a T33.

So, thanks for the image.  I'll show it to my dad.