Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Syrian conflict.

LoooSeR

Needs more Kamov. And when I say Kamov, I mean the glorious Chornaya Akula!

Speaking of which, any Ka-50s deployed in Syria?

No, Ka-50s are not in production and their numbers are so low that forget about it.

Ka-52 are also not used, as they don't have ATGMs ready (Kalashnikov concern only recently restarted Vikhr ATGM production, Hermes-A long range missiles development stage is unknown for several years). Mi-35s were better choice, but they are covering Southern regions of Russia and they are pretty new (low number of "free" helicopters).

No, Ka-50s are not in production and their numbers are so low that forget about it.

Ka-52 are also not used, as they don't have ATGMs ready (Kalashnikov concern only recently restarted Vikhr ATGM production, Hermes-A long range missiles development stage is unknown for several years). Mi-35s were better choice, but they are covering Southern regions of Russia and they are pretty new (low number of "free" helicopters).

Well... dreams crushed.

What about Mi-28s?

Well... dreams crushed.

What about Mi-28s?

Also one of possible candidates, in fact Iraqi army have Mi-28NE with radars and night optics/thermals. I think that this heli would have been better, although it seems that MoD is trying to either save them, or Mi-24's cargo compertment is usefull.

Also one of possible candidates, in fact Iraqi army have Mi-28NE with radars and night optics/thermals. I think that this heli would have been better, although it seems that MoD try to either save them, or Mi-24's cargo compertment is usefull.

Maybe in the future we'll see Mi-28s. Hopefully.

Wow LoooSeR, this thread is moving very quickly.  Should get lots of traffic from CIA analysts and Bing spiders various interested parties, just like the Armata thread.

CQoJSk1UwAA2dgC.jpg

CQoJSr9UYAA9NJ0.jpg

Looks broadly similar to the Textron BLU-108 submunition:

The widespread use of such weapons will force tank designers to re-think roof armor, in my opinion.

I had read the same thing; apparently important parts of the Vikhr ATGM were made in Ukraine, and can no longer be sourced to Russia.

The fragmentation of the Soviet Union screwed up the supply of many key Russian weapons systems.  NSV 12.7mm machine guns were made in Kazakhstan, SU-25s were made in Georgia, T-80s were made in Ukraine.  A lot of the designs that emerged in the early Russian Federation days didn't look like they were any better than the late Soviet stuff; and often they weren't, but they could be domestically produced and maintained, and that counts for a lot.

Also one of possible candidates, in fact Iraqi army have Mi-28NE with radars and night optics/thermals. I think that this heli would have been better, although it seems that MoD is trying to either save them, or Mi-24's cargo compertment is usefull.

Most targets in Syria are soft ones. Its better in my opinion for daytime operations to have more plentiful helicopters, that are better for CAS and can (technically) soke up more damage. Hell, its not a bad idea to go exclusively Yak-B armed Mi-24s

Wow LoooSeR, this thread is moving very quickly.  Should get lots of traffic from CIA analysts and Bing spiders various interested parties, just like the Armata thread.

Looks broadly similar to the Textron BLU-108 submunition:

The widespread use of such weapons will force tank designers to re-think roof armor, in my opinion.

I had read the same thing; apparently important parts of the Vikhr ATGM were made in Ukraine, and can no longer be sourced to Russia.

The fragmentation of the Soviet Union screwed up the supply of many key Russian weapons systems.  NSV 12.7mm machine guns were made in Kazakhstan, SU-25s were made in Georgia, T-80s were made in Ukraine.  A lot of the designs that emerged in the early Russian Federation days didn't look like they were any better than the late Soviet stuff; and often they weren't, but they could be domestically produced and maintained, and that counts for a lot.

New factories can be built. In my opinion the lost of intellgeince was the biggest blow. In the Soviet Union there was a suprising amount of god-like designs coming out of fertile young minds far from the eggheads of Moscow.

You might have an Armenian factory worker produce the most successful jet of all time. Or a tankist born in west Siberia produce the best assualt rifle of all time.

With more people come more opportunities that you might have geniuses walking around. Without the additional lands of the Soviet Union, and the political structure that allowed for such designers to triumph. Both Russia and Former Soviet peoples are hurt immensely