Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

T-14 ARMATA 

(edited)

This thread is about glorious russian MBT T-14, known as "Armada", "T-95", "black eagle", "T-99" and other stupid Western names given to Object 148 (T-14 in some recent documents). Here is number of images connected to that vehicle.

w9ySXtI.jpg

Official model of unknown "artillery vehicle". Yeah, Putin, we know that this is T-14. Note Gatling gun on turret right side.

ydDLuG9.jpgArtist impression of T-14 based on known model, by Fyodor Podporin. 

S7DbA13.jpg

T-14 will use Relikt ERA, which is considerable improvement over Kontakt-5 in resisting to tandem HEAT warheads and EFPs.

vytlBcm.jpg

Side skirts would be thicker on a real vehicle, i think. Relikt have AFAIK bigger size than Kontakt-5 ERA build-in blocks.

oBFZcMT.jpg

Whole album with renders: 

http://imgur.com/a/8Tn9b

Video of same render from same artist:

People expect that tank would have turret weapon system like what you see on the BMP-3 "Bakhcha-U" turret - a lot of weapons in one turret for one gunner to work with. T-14 is rumored to be equipped with 30 (or even 57) mm autocannon, 4-6 barrel gatling type MG/HMG, new 125 (2A82) or even 152 mm (2A83) smoothbore cannons. Turret is unmanned, crew of 3 would be located in frontal part of hull, behind very serious frontal armor inside of compartment, well protected from all directions. Cannon would be loaded by new autoloading device. I hope that Burevestnik is working on them, those guys managed to make 100 mm Naval gun with RoF of 300 shots per minute.

I really like how turret looks, but i don't understand why there is such a big turret "busket" for unmanned turret with all ammo placed inside of hull in special armored housing. Also, i don't see gunner sight and proposed FSC radar on 3D model (i assume that panoramic sight is for commander). Laser sensors on 3D model are from T-90A variant of "Shtora".

Some officials mentioned works on new active protection system, that consist of powerfull radar station, that can work on "long ranges" and engage incoming projectiles (missiles) with that gatling MG. Will this system survive development stage and be presented on serial tanks is unknown. Although turret for T-15 Armata-based IFV already was shown with new APS "Afganit".

If you pay attention you may see that artist used T-80 rollers for Armata chassis, and this is not a mistake - according to some sources Armata heavy chassis will use T-80 or T-80-like rollers to save weight. And looking at rear part of that tank you may notice a engine deck from gas-turbine equipped version of the T-80, which can be mistake becuase MoD want Armata with new ~1500 HP diesel engine. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think this will end up like PAK-FA.  There were tons of studies and a handful of prototypes for new fighter aircraft in the late Soviet era, but PAK-FA was not a rehash of any of them.  People thought it would be based on 1.44, 7.01 or Berkut, but it was a novel design.  Internet speculation on its appearance was generally wrong.

A likely shopping list of features of Armata looks like this IMO:

-New 125mm gun that is backwards-compatible with existing ammunition stocks, but can use unitary ammunition with longer penetrators.  You probably can't get such a weapon to the same class as the Rheinmetall 120mm; there just isn't enough case volume to work with, but you could go a long way in bridging the gap, especially if the pressure ceiling were higher.

-Urban combat-oriented features like the JSDF Type 10.  Lots of cameras for driver and commander, remote weapons stations of some sort, thermal optics to highlight ATGM kill teams (how many times have you seen combat footage from Syrian and thought "man, those RPG tank-killer teams would be totally screwed if those T-72s had been refitted with thermals?"), short overall hull length, high-precision neutral steer, etc.

-Hydropneumatic suspension.  The Soviets have been playing with it since the 1950s, and now that the Russians aren't doing ginormous 10K production runs, they can splurge a bit on bling.

-Modular armor ala Merk IV seems to be the way to go.  For very little extra cost, you reserve the ability to up-armor your tank very easily in the future.

-Getting rid of the the frontal weak points around the driver's hatch and gun mantlet.  They've been trying to do this since Object 187, and Russian milbloggers love to harp on similar weakpoints on the abrams.

-Probably no turbine, alas.  Russian gas turbines still aren't as good as American or Western European models.  SFC and power density are comparable to their American counterparts and sometimes a little better, but TBO is still much, much worse.  A diesel should be fine, especially a fancy new common-rail fuel injector type.

-Auxiliary autocannon seems likely.

-I wouldn't rule out a driver-in-turret configuration.  The Soviets did more research on this arrangement than anyone else.

- T-14 will have a new gun - 125 mm smoothbore 2A82 cannon. AFAIK 2 new rounds are developed for it - Vaccum-1 (~900 mm long penetrator per rumors) and Vacuum-2 (DU). Also, it will have new programable HE-frag round - "Tel'nik" and new GL-ATGM "Sprinter".

- If you look at T-90M, you will see that it already have lots of cameras and RWS, pretty good thermal imager are in use by T-90A. I want to see a new active protection system, but i don't think they will go for such increase in price of a tank with ERA working as low-price solution.

- Suspension will be usual torsion bars, nothing new here.

- No info on armor.

- Already implemented, if known information is true.

- No cannon, sadly. MG/HMG and AGS-type of grande launcher as secondary weapons.

- Crew is in hull between frontal armor and turret/ammunition compartment. If crew compartment is arranged in same way as 195's/T-95s, tankers will found themselfs in more comfortable place compared with T-72/80/90. 

Anyway, T-14 is aimed to be cheaper Object 195. 195's gun worked for 200 shots maximum, after wich it was becoming to prone to destroy itself (pressure was 2-3 times higher than any 125 guns tested before). Also, this vehicle actually had 30 mm autocannon. T-14 is planned to be new T-72, i guess, which can be a erroneous decision for future. 

I really like idea of arming several elite divisions like Kantemirovskaya with Object 195 tank/TD and rest of Russian army with T-14 "MBT".       

Anyway, T-14 is aimed to be cheaper Object 195. 195's gun worked for 200 shots maximum, after wich it was becoming to prone to destroy itself (pressure was 2-3 times higher than any 125 guns tested before). Also, this vehicle actually had 30 mm autocannon. T-14 is planned to be new T-72, i guess, which can be a erroneous decision for future. 

I really like idea of arming several elite divisions like Kantemirovskaya with Object 195 tank/TD and rest of Russian army with T-14 "MBT".       

M829A3 has an EFC of 2, so over a total life of 1,500 EFC that comes to 750 rounds.  So 200 shots for something with completely nutso pressure isn't that bad.

Per Tanknet, M829A1 was 4 EFC, so you were down to 300-some shots with that stuff.  

T-95 also had problems with non-existent side armor. It is like Ferdi IMO - TD for long ranges with crazy frontal armor and mediocre-at-best side armor. At least it have 30 mm autocannon to defend itself from pesky infantry, unlike Ferdi with its 1 and only weapon.

Although tankers had enough space to sit in that armored capsule. They had like 30 sm between crewmembers elbows! Dirty capitalists!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

GLORIOUS "KURGANETS" 3D RENDER. Artist - Leonid Karyakin.

This is Object 699 IFV (BMP), based on Kurganets-25 unified chassis. 

YHL9eyV.jpg

tW8EqTD.jpg

iHz4YoI.jpg

CIzRkJN.jpg

4viCrlu.jpg

IlTDIoQ.jpg

tomVHKJ.jpg

CndHvAj.jpg

lgwXR7k.jpg

RiH0xfZ.jpg

3D model was based on different information, including this:

bOGgQfU.jpg

ICcOdSX.jpg

GLORIOUS KURGANETS WITH 57 MM AUTOCANNON.

Ja4dBFs.jpg

aj0RIhT.jpg

bsBhX5F.jpg

l2Zfdj9.jpg

Why does it have half an IR countermeasure system?

ARTISTS IMPRESSION STOP OPPRESING ME YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW DARE YOU PLEASE STOP 

Yeah, this is Shtora 0.5. 0.5 litres, just like most popular vodka bottles! On serious side Shtora IR dazzlers are useless, i don't think we will see them.