Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Models and pictures of Soviet MBT designs from 80s. Object 477A, Object 490 Buntar and Object 299.

LoooSeR

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Object 478M, from Baron Kharkovite. Vehicle is from second half/late 70s.

DYq21VR.jpg

Kharkovites in 1976 also proposed a variant of combining the T-80 chassis with its own turret and 6TD engine - "object 478". An even more daring project "478M" was also considered with a completely new FCS "Sistema", a 1500-horsepower diesel engine and an active protection system "Shatyor", which defended the tank from incoming shells and ATGMs with cluster shots.

Interesting parts - turret with build in APS (launchers were integrated into frontal armor of the turret), RCWS with 23 mm autocannon, panoramic sight for commander.

The tank was supposed to use the Shatyor active protection system, which defends the sector of 200 degrees, the number of cluster rounds - 20 pieces, the probability of hitting incoming shells - 0.7-0.8. A new fire control system was installed on the tank, which included the commander's panoramic sight. Instead of a 12.7 mm anti-aircraft machine gun, a 23 mm R-23M cannon was installed.

RCWS schematics:

Spoiler

Possibly scan of a photo of a prototype:

Boxes on the side are probably radars (other components were mounted on rear plate of the turret), interceptors are visible in the roof of frontal armor of the turret.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/20/2017 at 3:36 PM, LoooSeR said:

That is pretty cool

http://btvt.info/2futureprojects/object299.files/image007.jpg

I see an SPG on Object 299 chassis for a first time. Also Gurkhan claims that Heavy IFV at some point wa supposed to be armed with 76 mm autocannon.

If they managed the automated ammunition loading this combination of tanks and ATGM carrier looks the most evolved concepts I've seen, especially comapred to the peacmeal concepts of the West of the time (1991 ?). Oscillating turret with crew separated from the ammo pretty much solves two of the most recurring design issues I have with soviet tanks. Makes FCS look quite silly.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

1640000209006842895385599941192.jpg

Object 195 pic from Paralay with sights marked 

It appeara that 195 had 3 sights placed in turret and 1 axul. on hull UFP. Out of 3 turret sights, 1 was TV, 2nd was Thermal imager (each on either side of the turret). 3rd was mounted in top of the turret, near radar station, acted as panoramic sight. A bit unusual layout of sights on this thing with 2 different gunner sights on both sides of the turret.

5 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

1640000209006842895385599941192.jpg

Object 195 pic from Paralay with sights marked 

It appeara that 195 had 3 sights placed in turret and 1 axul. on hull UFP. Out of 3 turret sights, 1 was TV, 2nd was Thermal imager (each on either side of the turret). 3rd was mounted in top of the turret, near radar station, acted as panoramic sight. A bit unusual layout of sights on this thing with 2 different gunner sights on both sides of the turret.

What does it say about the radar? The letters are too small to read. Is it considered part of the FCS, as was speculated for a long time? What´s the source of the picture?

7 hours ago, alanch90 said:

What does it say about the radar? The letters are too small to read. Is it considered part of the FCS, as was speculated for a long time? What´s the source of the picture?

Nothing much, i can't read them either. 

Radar on 195 was known to be used for FCS for a long time. Tank had radar station on top of turret mantlet and radioantenna next to it for programmable HE-frag.

8 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

Nothing much, i can't read them either. 

Radar on 195 was known to be used for FCS for a long time. Tank had radar station on top of turret mantlet and radioantenna next to it for programmable HE-frag.

I got a higher resolution version pf the same picture:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/553364479929483274/922659486508908604/file.png

Nevertheless, indeed it was suspected for a long time that the radar there was to be used offensively but IIRC we never got any kind of substantial confirmation of that capability. If this was true then it makes or the more likely that the T-14 inherited something similar. 

23 hours ago, alanch90 said:

I got a higher resolution version pf the same picture:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/553364479929483274/922659486508908604/file.png

Nevertheless, indeed it was suspected for a long time that the radar there was to be used offensively but IIRC we never got any kind of substantial confirmation of that capability. If this was true then it makes or the more likely that the T-14 inherited something similar. 

It was known for some time about radar and radar fuze on HE frags for 195, i posted pictures in this thread before.

T-14 doesn't have radars integrated into FCS.

• 1 month later...

Baron Kharkovite leaking Soviet archives.

708817.jpg

Spoiler

695865.jpg

This is probably a mock up/model of a tank or modernisation for T-80s, elements for which were tested with Object 292 (like LP-83 152 mm gun). Note panoramic sight, new turret with welded frontal armor "pockets", turret busket, changed co-axial MG mount (maybe even different MG), different frontal hull (looks like some of Object 187 hulls).

• 5 months later...

hi, im new here

i have a few question on this topic:

1. is it correct that the version of object 490a with part of the gun coming out of the back of the turret is the earlier 125mm version, while the later 152mm version has the gun further forward in the turret?

2. is there any information on the loading mechanism of t-74/object 450? moving the round externally between the hull ammo storage would seems to me to be a maintenance nightmare, especially if the loader has to swing around to feed the gun in any position

3. all the images for Izdelie 480 dont show up for me, does anyone have any link to images of it?

4. Is there any information on the height of Object 490 Topol? Its missing in Molota_477s comparison drawing.

• 10 months later...