Sturgeon's House
Sign in to follow this  
asaf

Active Protection System (APS) for tanks

3 hours ago, Bronezhilet said:

My biggest point against it is: If you can initiate the ERA with the impact from the warhead, you can initiate the warhead with the same impact.  And wouldn't that completely negate the whole system?

I was under the impression that the main warhead has a special delay to allow the precursor to initiate the ERA and make sure the flyer plate is gone.

If that is the case, then the charges striking the main warhead should react faster than the time it takes the fuse to activate the warhead.

There is no computer here, no electronics. The ERA has the minimal possible delay, as it uses an impact fuse. 

Warhead gets perforated and thus cannot form a jet.

9 minutes ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

I was under the impression that the main warhead has a special delay to allow the precursor to initiate the ERA and make sure the flyer plate is gone.

If that is the case, then the charges striking the main warhead should react faster than the time it takes the fuse to activate the warhead.

There is no computer here, no electronics. The ERA has the minimal possible delay, as it uses an impact fuse. 

Warhead gets perforated and thus cannot form a jet.

Ninja'd the answer. ;)

To the best of my knowledge there's no delay between the precursor and main charge. The space between the precursor and main charge should be enough to get the flyer plates out of the way.

On 6/29/2018 at 9:45 PM, Ramlaen said:
Someone responded to Damian tweeting that picture I found in a RADA brochure.

Ah, this is where that Iron Fist clip came from.

2 hours ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

Not really. The domain is still "ADS-something", and they refer to the product as ADS practically everywhere. They only changed the company's name, not the product's. 

They just haven't finished replacing ADS with RAP at all places (or they replaced ADS too often). Take a look at the menu titles on the product page: "RAP functional principle", "RAP development" and "RAP series production".

Trophy from way back when it was still tested without the autoloader.

Screenshot_1.png

An interesting video about Trophy and the US's decision-making, that shows just how little contact even the most relevant bodies may have with the industries they're working with, which I believe could be both very easily fixed, and seriously hampers in my opinion, their capability to plan for the future.

I hope this is something the Futures Command will be able to fix.

The video is courtesy of..... Mike Sparks...

About Trophy on the Merkava IV (via otvaga forum):

QEQPllwEbIk.jpg

Note that the APS does indeed replace some of the side armor (which can be seen in the lack of bolts required to hold the NERA panels and also the hatch that is visible at the bottom).

On the armor modules, there are normally lots of small bolts in that location:

b6b4850f1f53986f3cc306dc88eb50f6.jpg

merkava-22big.jpg

I guess that explains to some extend why Trophy on the M1 Abrams seems to be so much larger...

You're right but the Abrams' Trophy modules are also longer, not just wide, which means there is still a size difference.

And I can't tell what that piece behind the launcher is, right before the bustle. It only seems to exist on the right side of the turret.

Maybe it's the processing unit? Other APS also make use of only a single central computer system to deal with multiple launchers and sensors.

That Stryker with the Iron Curtain seriously look like a agricultural vehicle meant to spray insecticide on the crops. Seriously, I've never seen an APS so ungainly.

Speaking of weird APSes, I remember at one point AMRDEC was studying an airbag-type APS (called ABAPS) concept for US AFVs that was only rated for RPGs (ATGMs were understandably too much). Was it ever tested in real life or did the engineers fail to go past the laughing-out-loud phase?