Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The M4 Sherman Tank Epic Information Thread.. (work in progress)

Ok, here's the final version of the New Sherman Radio section. 

The Radios: The Sherman Tank Had Some Of The Most Advanced Radios In The World At The Time. turret-rear1.jpg

An SCR-528 Radio in turret bustle of an M4A3 76w HVSS tank.

US Army and Marine Radios

The Sherman tank came with a SCR-508, 528 or 538 radio set. Command tanks had an additional SCR 506 mounted in the right front sponson. This let the tank listen on the net for the HQ they answered to while still talking to his own unit. The main radio set also had the tank intercom built into it.  This intercom allowed the crew to talk to each other, but not transmit on the radio, only the tank commander could do that, and as we will see, in a few cases he couldn’t either.

IMG_3076.jpg

An SCR-528 with the canvas dust cover installed and open.

Let’s talk about the radios, now that I know a little more about them.  The SCR-508, 528, and 538 were all in the same family. The TM covering these radios was TM 11-600 Radio Sets SCR-508-A, C, D, AM, CM, DM; SCR-528-A, C, D, AM, CM, DM; and AN/VRC-5 and it was very informative on how these radios worked. These radios were all FM band radios, used because FM radios deal with interference from the tanks electrical system and motor better than AM radios. This did present a problem, in that the only radios the infantry or artillery used that could talk to the tanks were at battalion level, since they were using AM Radios at the company level and lower.

SCR-508: This radio had the most options of the three basic radios that could come in a Sherman tank.  This radio set included a BC-604 Radio Transmitter, and two BC-603 Radio Receivers mounted on an FT-237 Mounting Tray. This gave the basic Sherman with this radio the ability to transmit on 10 FM channels, and listen on up to 20, if they had the crystals for all the channels. I’ve read a few things here and there that make me think they may have restricted how many frequency crystals could be carried, but that may have been just for the infantry. The BC-604 has a drawer with room for all the crystals for its frequency range. The frequency range was (Mc) 20 to 27.9.  This radios transmitter was 25 watts and had a range of 7 miles moving, and 10 to 15 while stopped. It could be powered by 12 or 24v dynamotors. This radio came in at 181 pounds. The tanks intercom was also controlled through it, and BC-606 Interphone Control Boxes mounted at each crew station.  These radios would be found in platoon leaders, and company commanders tanks.

SCR-508_Data.png

SCR-528: This radio was exactly the same thing as the 508, but with one less BC-603 Receiver. In most cases the spot where the 603 would have been was taken up by a CH-264 Parts Chest. A 508 could be turned into a 538 or the other way very easily. This radio would normally be the radio installed in the standard gun tanks of the platoon and company. This Radio came in at 181 pounds, and the same specifications other than only having the one receiver.

SCR-528_Data.png

SCR-538: This radio would only be installed in tanks when there was a shortage of 508 or 528 at the factory or in a battalion itself.  This radio did have one feature that set it aside from the ones above, because it lacked a transmitter, it needed a BC-605 Interphone Amp for the crew intercom system. This one came in at only 135 pounds.

SCR-538_Data.png

SCR-506: This radio would be the rarest of radios installed in Shermans. This “Command Tank” radio would only be installed in the battalion commander’s tank. On early small hatch Shermans, this radio would have taken up some ammo space in the right sponson near the BOG. In later large hatch wet tanks, they lost some .30 cal storage. It could be operated either on 12 volts or 24, and was designed for vehicle use. It would only be able to talk to Battalion level HQs and higher, and the tanks normal radio, probably in most cases a SCR-508, would be used to talk to the tanks in the battalion. This radio could have four preset frequencies, and also an adjustable range from 2-4.5(Mc) transmitting, and 2-6 (Mc) receiving. This radio was hefty and came in at 176 pounds. It was made up from the BC-652 Receiver, BC-653 Transmitter, and the FT-253 Rack Mount.

SCR-506_Data.png 

USWWIIM1938andM1Helmets2.jpg

US Army M1938 tanker helmet, along with an M1 steel helmet, also the intercom control box and throat mikes are seen in the left, along with the headphones in the tanker helmets ear covers. The Steel pot helmet was often worn over the Tanker helmet

USWWIIM1SteelHelmets1.jpg

This image shows the Sherman tanks intercom gear adapted to the steel helmet M1. It also shows an M6 periscope and an odd microphone I’m not familiar with.

. . .

Destruction of these Radios would be top priority for the crew of they had to abandon a disabled tank. After watching videos of restored versions of all these radios, I have to say the biggest surprise is all the mechanical noise as they warm up or transmit. It was also a surprise at how clear the voice was on a 508 in good working order. After reading through the manual for the 508 it is clear, these old radios needed a lot of work to keep them operating. There is a long list of things that have to be inspected, cleaned and lubricated to keep the thing working. These radios all used tubes, and those tubes, (much like a little lightbulb, if you have no idea what one looks like), also had be removed, and inspected and cleaned. These tasks would all add to the daily grind of being a tanker, and keeping the steel monster working.

https://youtu.be/wtXdDxs1zM0

https://youtu.be/Y38rO2tXRjI

Radios used in Commonwealth and Lend Lease Shermans

VC-WirelessBustle-2.jpg

Wireless no19 in Sherman

When the British took possession of a Sherman they installed the British Wireless Set Number 19, and it replaced the intercom system as well. It was designed by the British Company Pye Ltd. It was slightly smaller than the US radios. At the level these radios were on, I doubt a British Sherman and an American Sherman could talk to each other. These Radios were made in the USA by RCA and installed in tanks slated for Lend Lease use.

These Radio sets were both more advanced, and less advanced than their US Counterpart, A true Transceiver, the first, meaning the receiver and transmitter were part of the same unit and shared circuitry. They used UHF for short range direct view tank to tank communications and HF portion could transmit up to 50 miles. These radios were not on the same frequency ranges as the US Army, and they were not as suitable to vehicle use. They were cheaper and simpler to build though and they were a powerful Transceiver.

The WS19 set had three systems. The A portion was a High Frequency radio transceiver with a range up to 50 miles. The B Portion was a Very High Frequency transceiver for short range, line of sight communications up to a mile. The final part was an audio amplifier for the crew intercom system. It had control boxes mounted at each crew station just like US tanks.

Frequency range:

A set - MkI: 2.5 - 6.25 MegaHertz (MHz), MkII & III: 2 - 8 MHz

B set - 229 - 241MHz

Modulation modes:

A set: Amplitude Modulation (AM) for speech, Continuous Wave (CW)

and Modulated Continuous Wave (MCW) for Morse code transmission.

B-set: AM speech only

Approx Power output: A-set: AM & MCW 1-3 Watts (W); CW 3-5W, B-set: 0.4W

Number of valves: 15 thermionic valves (termed tubes in the USA)

Size/weight: WS19 17.5x8.5x12.5 inches – 40lbs,Power Supply Unit 6x8.5x12.5 inches – 25lbs

Aerial Variometer 10x5 inches cylinder – 5lbs

Power Supply: 12 Volt (V) or 24V lead-acid batteries driving rotary motor-generators,

which provide 275V at 120 milliAmps (mA) for the receiver and 500V at

50mA for the transmitter.

CanadianWWIITankerEquipment.jpg

. . .

Sherman Radios in use:

Here is a fascinating transcript of a marine tank company’s radio chatter, taken by a US destroyer off shore during the fighting on Okinawa. You can find this on page 64 of Michael Greens M4 Sherman at War.

“This is Red Two, Red One; heartburn says that he is ready to start shooting at those pillboxes”

“Tell Heartburn I can’t receive him. You will have to relay. Tell him to give us a signal and well spot for him”

“Red Two wilco”

“Heartburn, raise your fire. You’re firing right into us”

“That’s not Heartburn, Red Two, That’s a high velocity gun from our left rear. I heard it whistle. Red One out.”

“Red Three, this is Red One. Can you see that gun that’s shooting into us?”

“Red One, I think that’s our own gunfire.”

“Goddamnit, it’s not, I tell you. It’s a high velocity gun and not a howitzer. Investigate or there on your left. But watch out for infantry; they’re right in there somewhere”

“Red Two, tell Heartburn down fifty, left fifty”

“Red Two wilco”

“Red Three, what are you doing? Go south west!”

“I’m heading south west Red One.”

“For Christ sake, get oriented. I can see you, Red Three. You are heading are heading northwest. Fox Love with hard left brake. Cross the road and go back up behind that house”

“But”

“I don’t know why I bother with you, Red Three. Yellow One, take charge of Red Three and get him squared away. And get that gun; it’s too close.”

“Red One from Red Two, Heartburn wants to know if we are the front lines”

“Christ yes we’re plenty front right now”

“This is Red Two, artillery on the way”

“Red one wilco”

“Red One from Yellow One. I can see some Japs setting up a machine gun about 100 yards to my right”

“Those are our troops Yellow One, don’t shoot in there”

“The man at my telephone -  I think he’s an Officer, - says we have no troops in there.”

“Yellow Two, go over there and investigate. Don’t shoot at them; that man at the telephone probably doesn’t know where the troops are. If they’re Japs, run them over.”

“Yellow One, wilco.”

“Go ahead, Yellow Two. What in God’s name are you waiting for?”

“I’m up as far as I can go and still depress my machine guns.”

“The hell with your machine guns! I told you to run over them! Run over them, Goddamnit; obey your orders!”

“Yellow Two, wilco”

“Yellow One, what have you to report on that machine gun?”

“Red One, a Jap stood up and threw a grenade at us so I gave him a squirt.”

“Did you run over that gun like I told you?”

“No. Red One, we put an HE into it and wrecked it.”

“Christ, won’t you people ever learn to conserve your ammunition…”

“Red One from Green Two, I’m stuck between two trees.”

“Green Three stand by him. After the infantry has cleared up around there, get your assistant driver out and tow him clear.”

“Green Three, wilco”

“While you’re waiting, Green three, keep an eye out on that house on your right. I see troops coming out of there with bottles in their shirts.”

“Can I send my assistant driver over to investigate?”

“Stay in your tank”

“Yellow One, from Red Three, where are you going?”

“Red One from Green Four. I am moving out to take out a pillbox the infantry pointed out I will I will take care of it and let them catch up.”

“Where is it, Green Four?”

“In that clump of bushes to my right.”

“Can you see it? It is all right to fire? Wait Green four”

“Green Four wilco”

“Green Four, you better not fire. The 4th Marines are over there somewhere.”

“Run up on the box and turn around on it”

“It’s one of those coconut log things. It looks like it my be to strong to squash. Is it all right if I fire into the slit?”

“Affirmative, but be careful, wilco”

“Red One, this is Hairless. We’ve got some Japs bottled up in two caves in Target Area Four Baker. We’d like you to leave two tanks to watch them.”

“You know damn well that’s infantry work. We’re a mobile outfit, not watchdogs. Put your saki drinkers in there.”

“Ok Harry, Red One out.”

“All tanks start ‘em up. Move out now. Guide right and form a shallow right echelon. As soon as we hit the flat ground around the airfield, spread out to one hundred and fifty yard interval. Al right, move out, move out

. . .

The fighting on Okinawa was brutal and they lost a lot of tanks. There was Army and Marine tankers there, all operating Shermans, mostly M4A3s, but a few late model M4A2s were mixed in with the Marines. I thought it was very interesting how much they talked about what they wanted to shoot, and how they had to rely on each other to confirm if a target was friendly or not.   

I also thought it was amusing when Green Three asked if he could send his assistant driver to check out the log bunker. I really suspect it was sarcasm. The tankers seemed reluctant to run over Japanese out in the open. Was it because getting in that close was dangerous, or because cleaning people out of the treads after the fight was really gross? Morbid questions aside, being a tanker in the Pacific had its own share of risks, and took men with a lot of guts, and stamina.  Many of the fights took place in very warm locations, and late in the war, colder ones. The Japanese willingness to throw away their lives made being a tanker a dangerous place, but if it followed the same pattern casualties in the ETO did, than being a infantrymen was by far the most dangerous thing you could be. 

I also did a Gallery post. 

Gallery 1, mixed High Res Sherman Photos: Some with comments.
933ZLds.jpg A nice color photo of an M4 stuck in Italy.
aXOJifP.jpg A burned out M4A3 76w
Arnoldsweiler-Germany-45_104th_ID.jpg A knocked out M4A3 75W with concrete amor, in front of a M4A3 76w with similar armor.
761st_Tank_Battalion_M4_Sherman_Supporti M4A3 75 from the 761st Tank Battalion supporting the 103rd ID near Niefferb France
747TB_M476_45.jpg A pair of up armored, with sandbags, M4A3 76w Shermans, with the 747th Tank Battalion, Schleiden, 1945
16.jpg Huge photo of an M4A1 76w tank, possible testing a bow mounted flame thrower.
14th_Armored_Division_M4_Sherman_Column_ 14th AD M4A3 76w column Hochfeld France 45
13.jpg A huge pile of rocks, with an M4A3 76W HVSS tank with add on Armor parked off to the side.
12th_Armored_Division_M4A3_Sherman_in_Sc M4A3 with the 12th AD in Schneeberg Germany 1945
9AD_M4A3_0445.jpg M4A3 75w shermans with the 9th Armored Division, Westhousen, Germany, 10 April 1945
3AD_Schevenhutte_44.jpg A pair of 3rd AD M4A1 76w tanks in Schevenhutte 1944
3AD_Stolberg_44.jpg M4 tank 3rd Armored Division, Stolberg, 1944
4taqyYm.jpg Burned out M4 somewhere in Europe. Huge Photo.
3rd_Armored_Division_M4_Sherman_and_T2_G 3rd AD M4 in Stolberg 1945
2AD_Toeven_45.jpg A nice photo of a pair of Easy 8s, or M4A3 76w HVSS tanks.
2nd_Armored_Division_M4_Sherman_Debarks_ A nice photo of an 2cnd Armored Division M4 coming off an LST in Normandy.
1st_Armored_Division_M4_Sherman_with_Sha A Badly damaged M4A3 76w tank that looks like it had a dozer blade. It's from the 1st Armored Division in Italy 1944.
1st_Armored_Division_M4_Sherman_Ponsacco An M4A1 in Italy on the Gothic line, town of Ponsacco, 1944
1st_armored_division_M4_sherman_in_piazz An M4 in Milan Italy in front of the Piazza Del Duoma
0_155aa5_78e304fb_orig.jpg An M4 showing its off road prowess
0_155a98_b2cf0c0c_orig.jpg An M4 doing it thang in some ruined town in Europe.
0_155a9f_f8bae6dd_orig.jpg A well camouflaged M4 is the subject of this beautiful high res photo.
0_155a9e_db90f06a_orig.jpg A nice high res photo of an M4 driving down some european street. If you know the actual location in the image, please contact me.
0_155a4f_a9633053_orig.jpg A small hatch M4 somewhere in Europe
0_78d9_abb5039e_orig.jpeg A nice high res photo of an M4A4 probably about to be shipped to England, or just arrived there. Notice the 'Comb' device on the front differential cover, it has a wire going from it to through the bow gun mount to the tanks brake levers, so the brakes could be released without breaking the extensive weatherproof packing they have done. Look at all that duct tape!!
0_78d7_a08c5401_orig.jpeg a nice high res photo of a M4A1 with a strange rocket launcher setup.
0_71e33_29e3b963_XXXL.jpeg a nice color shot of an M4A1
0_7d81_ee354a41_orig.jpg A nice high res photo of an M4A2 76 wet, a pretty late production one, much like the one fished out of the ocean in the sunken Shermans post.
0_7d76_940e7f60_orig.jpg I high res pic of what looks like a couple of platoons of small hatch M4 and M4A1s parked on a street somewhere in Europe.
0_7d75_e0e86a0d_orig.jpeg A very nice high res pic of an M4 being used as an artillery piece
1235235.jpg Marine M4A2 on Peleliu, I think.
Italia-M4-George-Silk-1944.jpg Shermans at rest in a pretty flower field in Italy.

Something I'd add regarding radios-

The M4 (And the vast majority of U.S. vehicles fitted with radio) had very well shielded electrical systems.  What RF interference you'd encounter would likely be from nearby unshielded vehicles, or if the put-put was misbehaving.

Something I'd add regarding radios-

The M4 (And the vast majority of U.S. vehicles fitted with radio) had very well shielded electrical systems.  What RF interference you'd encounter would likely be from nearby unshielded vehicles, or if the put-put was misbehaving.

Ok cool, thanks, this may sound dumb, but how do you shield the electrical system?

So I went and did this. 

Sherman-Tank-Site-logo.png

So I made a few things on CafePress, and decided if my and I were willing to wear them, other may want to as well, so here they are.  I do not make any money on these, I just made them up for personal use, and decided to post them here, just in case.

Sherman T-Shirt MkII

2_460x460_Front_Color-White.png?region=% Front
2_480x480_Back_Color-White.png?region=%7 Back

Sherman T shirt Mk III

2_460x460_Front_Color-White.png?region=% Front
2_480x480_Back_Color-White.png?region=%7 Back

Sherman Tank Hat MK I

65_460x460_Front_Color-NA.png?region=%7B

The Sherman Tank Sticker MK I

50_460x460_Front_Color-White.png?region=

Anyway, if you see a stout, middle aged dude, in Marin wearing a hat, or t-Shirt, it's probably me.

Ok cool, thanks, this may sound dumb, but how do you shield the electrical system?

Basically by encasing it and any RF producing equipment in a Faraday cage, and/or by using capacitors and chokes/filters to dampen the RF interference.

Even modern cars have a filter cap on the alternator and other underhood appliances to keep down on RF.  In the case of the M4, the wiring was usually run through metallic sheathing, and the ignition leads were often "shielded" by metallic braid over the ignition lead proper. 

The only M4 mill I know of that did not have a shielded ignition was the Chrysler Multibank.  Likely a non issue, since it was already basically in a "cage" of it's own, and the Chrysler flathead from which it was derived already had shielded/RF suppressed components available.

Basically by encasing it and any RF producing equipment in a Faraday cage, and/or by using capacitors and chokes/filters to dampen the RF interference.

Even modern cars have a filter cap on the alternator and other underhood appliances to keep down on RF.  In the case of the M4, the wiring was usually run through metallic sheathing, and the ignition leads were often "shielded" by metallic braid over the ignition lead proper. 

The only M4 mill I know of that did not have a shielded ignition was the Chrysler Multibank.  Likely a non issue, since it was already basically in a "cage" of it's own, and the Chrysler flathead from which it was derived already had shielded/RF suppressed components available.

Cool, thanks for the infos.

Have you ever seen a Chrysler A57 Multibank up close and personal?  I haven't.  Chrysler has one in their automotive museum.   

I wouldn't think the A57 would be very common here, since the M4A4's that got used in training got rebuilt, and then from what I understand, they and all the spare motors got shipped off to Brits. 

Posted an even bigger Gallery tonight. 

M4Sherman_M1dozerblade_1945.jpg M4A3 75w, late 44 early 45 somewhere in Europe. This tank also has the M1 dozer blade kit installed.
M4_Sherman_105_1944-1.jpg M4A3 75w, burned out late war Europe
2AD_FDM4_1945.jpg M4A3 76w Sherman with a threaded and capped M1A1 gun, and split loaders hatch. Oddly this tank has T51 tracks, when the T48 rubber chevron track would be more common or The T54E1 steel chevron track. This Sherman also has concrete armored added to the front hull. Looks to be from the 2nd Armored Division 1945
M4_Sherman_Hurtgen_1944.jpg This one is another M4A3 75w, the caption says hurtgen 1944, but I think it's probably later than that. It also appears these guys are just standing around goofing off.
M4_Sherman_in_Aachen_1945.jpg This huge image is an M4 and M10, photo caption says Aachen 1945, but it could be earlier. By that point in the war the M4 would have been getting more rare. As would the M10
Armor_attack_Lindern_45.jpg Yanks and Limeys in one place!! M4A3 75w, and some kind of Churchill. Caption says Lindern 1945
NARA_-_5312541.jpg This huge image is of a small hatch M4 75, with a lot of infantry around it. I don't see a phone on the back so probably mid war
14AD_M4A3_Sherman_05_1945.jpg The crew of this 14th Armored Division M4A3 76w, with a M1A1 that is threaded and capped. The tank has sandbag armor. I think this was a big thing in the 14th. Do these guys look bored or what?
M4A3_Sherman_Ritterehoffen.jpg M4A3 76w with a split loaders hatch and a M1A1 with threaded and guarded tube. Caption says Rittershoffen, but you never know, also could it be a 14AD tank? Look at all the communication war they are holding up for the tank to drive under.
14AD_M4A3_Sherman_03_1945.jpg A very nice photo of a M4A3 76w with HVSS, or Easy 8 Sherman, with the 14AD, if had to guess, the 25th battalion, B Company, the Company commander's tank, and the crew is messing around with a BC-603 Radio Receiver
M3A1_Halftrack_burnedout_M4Sherman_1945_ A knocked out and burned M4A3 76w. This picture is a little disturbing, and I toyed with not putting it in, but in the end, it stays, because war is ugly, and the Sherman was a machine of war.
M4A3_Sherman_21945.jpg SNIPER!!!! Does anyone see the sniper!! At least that what it looks like to me. I bet the gun or commander is in the gunners seat looking at all the windows in that house with an HE round ready to go. Most if not all the men outside the tank are the tanks crews. The Sherman on the left is an M4A3 76w HVSS tank
Marienburg-Sherman-Pz4.jpg M4A1 75 with add on steel armor passing a knocked out PIV
M4_Sherman_Tunesien_1943.jpg Some of the first M4A1s produced, and lost. These are direct vision tanks, probably lost by the Brits at El Alamein.
M4_Sherman_T34_Calliope-1.jpg M4A3 75w, with a T-34 Calliope actually firing.
75ID_Riedwihr_45-1.jpg This M4A3 76w tank is supporting infantry from the 75th Infantry Division, so it would be whatever independent tank battalion supporting them. The tank is a fairly early production M4A3 76w, since it has the split loaders hatch and the threaded and thread guarded M1A1 gun. Photo caption says Riedwihr 1945
2992216084-2.jpg This massive photo is an M4A1 75 small hatch tank with an M1 dozer kit. Probably somewhere in the MTO
M4_Sherman_Tank_Bougainville_March_19441 Jungle tanking! This M4 Sherman is a fairly late production M4. This photo was taken on Bougainville 1944, and this would be the last of the major Solomon Islands taken.
Sherman_Firefly_1944.jpg A US 'Dough' checking out a firefly Ic or Vc, I can't from the angle, probably lost during Market Garden
14AD_M4Sherman_Silz.jpg M4A3 76w with a split loaders hatch and a thread a thread guarded M1A1 gun driving through a bunch of wrecked Nazi equipment. Notice how the gunner, and loader are both standing in the loaders hatch.
sherman1.jpg M4A1 75 small hatch tank. Probably knocked out in Sicily or Italy.
756TB_M4Sherman_knocked.jpg A pair of knocked out M4 tanks from the 756 Tank Battalion, probably knocked out in a combo Mine field/AT gun trap
M4Sherman_735TB_Kobern_1945.jpg Small hatch M4 75 tankpassing through a town in Europe somewhere.
NARA_-_531305.jpg The huge photo shows an large hatch M4A3 75w tank swamped in a river maybe. They seem to be hamming it up for the photographer. This tank has two large plates welded onto the front plate, that I have know Idea what they are for. Maybe a rocket launcher like the M-34.
M4A3_778TB_Lampaden_45.jpg An M4A3 76w from the 778th Tank Battalion caption Lampaden 1945. The tank is a has an M1A1 gun with a threaded and protected barrel. With all the hatches open, it looks like most of the crew may have made it.
M4_Sherman_6AD_Belgium_1945.jpg M4 small hatch 75mm Sherman with the 6th Armored Division. The photo is captioned Belgium 1945
100593.jpg A small hatch M4 and an M4A1 both 75mm tanks. Image had no caption, looks like somewhere in the ETO.
M4_Sherman_88Flak_36.jpg This is a M4 composite hull or M4A1 75W only 100 were produced before they were replaced with the M4A1 76w on the production line. It has a hedgerow cutter, and is passing a knocked out, most over rated weapon of the war, the Flak 36
Dummy_M4Sherman_44.jpg Inflatable Sherman, still more reliable than the non inflatable Panther.
755TB_Italy_44.jpg M4 75, in Italy, 1944. Tank is with the 755th Tank Battalion, and it looks like it's being used as Artillery. It also looks very muddy there.
pistolet.jpg Huge image, not sure the make of Sherman, not sure why a one of the crew is out with his pistol. Looks like American kit on the crewman.
5969eb29bfae.jpeg British Shermans in the desert. Could be an M4, or M4A2.
383.jpg Another huge image, no caption, but Im pretty sure this one is in the PTO, maybe the Philippines. The Sherman looks like an M4 Composite hull.
5tharmy.jpg This appears to be a mix  Brith M4A2 an M10 and M4A1s or Sherman IIa. The caption only said 5th army
sh.jpg Concrete armor being installed on an M4 105 tank
NARA_-_196302.jpg Nazis surrendering and running to the rear. Tank is an M4A4 so it must be a Brit Sherman
T34_Calliope_14AD.jpg 14th Armored Division M4 with a T34 Calliope installed. Also sandbag armor
750TB_M4Sherman_Manhay.jpg 750th Tank Battalion M4 105 near Manhay
e010786251-v8.jpg An M4A4 with an old Canadian Soldier in front of it?
e010786168-v8.jpg A nice color shot of an M4A4 with some hay on it.
e010786170-v8.jpg The same hay covered M4A4 now moving around.
e010786171-v8.jpg The same hay covered M4A4 now moving around again.
e010786172-v8.jpg The same hay covered M4A4 now more hamming for the photographer
e010786175-v8.jpg The same hay covered M4A4 on the move again

British-M4A2-Sherman-wrecks.jpg A pair of knocked out British M4A2 tanks.
M4A1-with-bow-mounting-MG-somewhere-in-E M4A1 76w with bow mounted flame thrower in use. Note the interesting writing in chalk on the side of the tank.
16.jpg M4A1 with a bow mounted flame thrower, huge image.
119.jpg Massive image of a British M4A4 and troops
US_Navy_LST.jpg An M4 Sherman coming out of an LST on the dock they can make. There is water under the Sherman. That causeway could be several hundred yards long
M4_736TB_Neuss_45.jpg 736th Tank Battalion M4 105 loading up on ammo in Neuss 1945
1270866918686.jpg A snow and ice covered Sherman. It appears to be an M4A3 75w.
1270868609876.jpg An M4A1 driving into a ruin! Tomb Raider tanker style.
USA-PR-Japan-282-1.jpg There look like M4A1 maybe the ones the Marines used on Cape Gloucester
e010786143-v8.jpg A British or Canadian dude in front of an M4A4
84ID_Geilenkirchen_44-1.jpg 84th Infantry Division in Geilenkirchen 1944, being supported by an early M4A3?
M4_Guam_01_44.jpg M4 Shermans fighting on Guam 44
01235874547785.jpg A Soviet M4A2 in Europe.
M4A1DT_ANZ44.jpg An M4A1 and an Inflatable Sherman at Anzio in 1944.

9AD_M4A3_0445-1.jpg M4A3 75w tanks of the 49th Armored Division, Westhousen, Germany, 10 April 1945
697249.jpg M4 composite hull flame thrower. Somewhere in the PTO.
8009931518.jpg Marine supporting an M4A2 maybe on Saipan
7118576251.jpg More of the composite hull flame thrower.
M4A3_Sherman.jpg An M4 Sherman with wading kit.
8090192681.jpg Marine M4A3 or A2 flamethrower tank, Iwo Jima or Okinawa.
4018613099.jpg M4A1 75 passing knocked out or broken down, or just abandoned, or out of gas PIVs.
8182533061.jpg Massive photo of a road, that has an M4A1 76w on it.
7896456789.jpg Not sure what kind of M4 it is, probably a M4A3 in the Pacific
5620716241.jpg The Sherman is a large hatch 75mm Sherman, it could be an M4A2 or A3, and I'm betting it's the PTO and the Philipines

M4_Italia_1944.jpg Color shot from waralbum.ru Probably an M4
La_Moscowa.jpg French Sherman M4 105, with crew posing for Camera
Austerlitz.jpg American M4 crew hamming it up for the Camera

It's a lot to read through, and I'm still not done with the first page, but I do think I might have a followup on the Syrian Sherman.  I was linked a youtube video a while back of what seems to be a Sherman operating in Syria sometime mid July 2015.  Interestingly enough, it seems to have a T-55 turret on top that can turn, despite the difference in turret ring sizes.  Lots of ERA too.  The video is compressed to hell and back at least four times, but there's enough details I think to make out the shape of the Sherman hull and D-10T gun.

Tank is shown for the first 32 seconds or so.

https://youtu.be/rmxj-9-xeis

I can never get these stupid youtube links to embed

JBEEjd9.png

Great pics Jeeps.  A lot of them aren't displaying correctly on my crappy and small work monitor, so I'll take another look when I get home.

On my big jumbo monitor, some still show up funny, but I think some of that has to do with the actual forum software.  Opening them up in new browser tabs does the trick.

If it's not already covered in this thread, does anyone have any pictures of Indian Shermans fitted with the Soviet guns?

Cool, thanks for the infos.

Have you ever seen a Chrysler A57 Multibank up close and personal?  I haven't.  Chrysler has one in their automotive museum.   

I wouldn't think the A57 would be very common here, since the M4A4's that got used in training got rebuilt, and then from what I understand, they and all the spare motors got shipped off to Brits. 

Not to where I could fondle it.  Worked on dozens of it's smaller six jug cousins though.  The flathead Chrysler is a fine little noisemaker, and shy of the coolant distro tube rotting out and an occasional tendency to weep oil from the external pump, they are immensely reliable.

Ok another Gallery post

This one with lots of Russian M4A2 Shermans and my wonderful commentary

Gallery IV Even More Random High Resolution Sherman and Lee Photos with Comments.
63d768ed86f3f6c207e87daaa36440b6b803cc6b British or French M4A2 tanks in the desert
100th_Infantry_Division_781st_Tank_Batta Convoy of tanks, trucks and jeeps from the100th ID, and 781st TB
%D0%A8%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%BC%D0%B0%D0%BD-1-2 This M4A1 76w is from A Company, 20th Tank Battalion , 20 Armored Division. They are on the outskirts of Cailly, France on February 24th, they had arrived in country a few days before and had not seen combat yet. The crew is unpacking and taking inventory of all the gear issued with the tank
g325356325632542-1.jpg A group of Doughs gathered around the rear of an M4A3 76w, probably somewhere in Germany in 1945
Okinawa_1st_TB_USMC_4-45-1.jpg 1st Marine Tank Battalion, Okinawa 1945. notice all the extra stuff on the tank. The Marston matting on the hatch is to keep the Japanese infantry from putting a satchel charge or worse right on top of the periscope, a fairly weak spot. They also had magnetic mines they could put on the side of the tank on I bet  the matting on the side helped prevent that. Wood and concrete was also used.
2nd-french-armored-div-m10-halloville-fr An M10 serving in the 2nd French Armored Division Halloville France November of 1944
French-crew-on-the-background-of-the-tan A French M4A2 76w of second company of the 501st Tank Regiment
M4-Sherman_Belle-of-Little-Rock_Lt-R_Hof M4 Sherman tank named Bell of Little rock, and a Lt R Hoffman looking it over, January of 1944
%D0%A8%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%BC%D0%B0%D0%BD-%D1 This seems to be concrete going over sand bags. The tank is either an M4A1 76w or an M4A3 76W. If you have any other info on this image let me know.
NARA_-_196225-1-burma.jpg M4s or early M4A3s on the Burma road.
knocked-out-sherman-tank-10520273-1.jpg Behind a destroyed British Sherman M4 near Caen in Normandy, a fascist  soldier, of the criminal, Waffen SS watches the enemy line. Date: 1944 The Tank if either an Ic or Vc Firefly, probably the latter since it was the most common Firefly type.
SC2056351.jpg Our Soviet allies(at the time) using a Lend lease M4A2 76w. I have no idea what unit these Russian Soldiers are from, but if someone does, let me know. I bet they killed a lot of Nazis to get to there, there being somewhere in Germany 1945
Soviet_Lend-Lease_M3_Lee_Grant_And_Germa Soviet Lend Lease M3 Lee knocked out. The Germans on it seem to be using it like a jungle gym, though something less wholesome could be going on since some of the fascist, criminal, invaders are in various states of dress.
2nd_Armored_Division_Troops_Help_Childre During a pre war training exercise this M3 Lee collapsed this bridge. The crew is helping the local kids get across so they can get to school.
M3_Grant_Tank_Crews_Set_Up_for_the_Night This British M3 Grant Crew is setting up to spend the night in the desert, in egypt, in 1942. I do not understand why two of them are naked.
number_one_pilot_model_of_m3_lee_on_chry This is the Production pilot of the M3 Lee.
M4A3E8-tank-on-bridge-that-collapsed-wit Clearly tanks and bridges are not fond of each other. This M4A3 76w HVSS tank seems to have been a tad much for this one. It was also a German bridge, so it was probably complicated, just adequate for the Job, and prone to failure.
M3_Lee_Medium_Tank_Prototype_At_Aberdeen Another shot of the prototype Lee at Aberdeen Proving ground.
9e344bdd19541.jpg Another Lend Lease M4A2 76w being used by the Soviets.
20090625-vena.jpg Even more Russian M4A2 76w tanks
Soviet_sherman1.jpeg Even more even more Russian M4A2 76w tanks
world-war2-011.jpg French M4A2 coming off an LST
0_ff5a_e0b55771_orig.jpg Nazi Scum using a Sherman as a bench.
157.jpg This must be a Regiment or larger or French M4 Sherman tanks.

I have seen that video before and I am not convinced it's a Sherman.  Having said that, I can't really say what it is.  Very strange.

I can't say I'm entirely sure it's a Sherman either, but I can't really think of anything else that may be, and the general shape seems about right.  It makes for a really interesting thought too.  It doesn't seem to me like it's the turretless M4A1 from the OP at least.

A0rF4Eu.png

Watching it again, there's a few (color-coded) details I've noticed.

Red:  There's something I guess is sheet metal that they've dressed the thing up with.  There's a clear X shaped indent on the forward one and a single panel over the side around where the crew would be behind.  The blue dot is what looks like the floppy remains of other sheet metal stuff, and the forward one with the X indent is missing on the other side.  I'm guessing it's been shot at before by someone.  I don't think the Sherman would have so much space over the tracks either.

Yellow:  What looks to be a set of periscopes, so I'd assume driver's still on the same side

Green: Some sort of lamps or cameras or something I think.  About where you'd find the hull MG for the co-driver.

Absolutely Fabulous Fuschia: The dot itself seems to be a recessed area or something.  There also appears to be plates behind it, certainly not how'd I'd expect it to look from a Sherman.

This would help explain the whole thing with a T-55 turret working on an M4 hull, but I have to wonder if it's even more of a frankentank than meets the eye.  

The hull above the tracks seems wrong for a Sherman with there not being as much stuff over the tracks or the odd engine deck.  The rear hull still looks like a Sherman, though I'm unsure about some of the engine deck.  On the side hull above the tracks (this is what you call the sponson, yes?) the bottom looks like it bends up, unlike just staying flat for the entire length like it should.  

The parts covered in highlighter look about right to me, but the red mark is this bend I'm talking about.  The angled engine deck area between the side hull and the roof proper looks like it ends sooner than it should, but that could be due to what I marked earlier in the Absolutely Fabulous Fuschia.  Check the first frame of the youtube link to see it not murdered with the snipping tool.

VIKvSXX.png

Perhaps they had some busted T-55, saw the still working Sherman, and put the big gun on the working tank hull?  Maybe cut off a bit of the T-55 roof, and glued it to the whole deal?  Dunno if that's even possible, but it sounds like something you'd try if you really wanted a tank.  The gun barrel looks like it's painted in the colors of the old Syrian flag too, not the rebel one.

Google hasn't been much help (other than probably putting me on more watch lists), but I did find what I guess is a T-72 with cage armor on the sides and the turret replaced with a quad 23mm in a metal box turret instead.  I figure there's other threads for that.

Despite how much I'd like this to be a Sherman, it's probably some boring recovery vehicle or something else that no one likes.

In general, did the Soviets remove the .50 cal from their M4s, or was it just not provided?

It was included and beloved by all except fascist scum. I guess it's just stowed away in the images.

Also it's a shame that there are so few markings on the Soviet Shermans, it makes them a lot less fun to paint than the Americans.

It's a lot to read through, and I'm still not done with the first page, but I do think I might have a followup on the Syrian Sherman.  I was linked a youtube video a while back of what seems to be a Sherman operating in Syria sometime mid July 2015.  Interestingly enough, it seems to have a T-55 turret on top that can turn, despite the difference in turret ring sizes.  Lots of ERA too.  The video is compressed to hell and back at least four times, but there's enough details I think to make out the shape of the Sherman hull and D-10T gun.

Tank is shown for the first 32 seconds or so.

https://youtu.be/rmxj-9-xeis

I can never get these stupid youtube links to embed

JBEEjd9.png

On my big jumbo monitor, some still show up funny, but I think some of that has to do with the actual forum software.  Opening them up in new browser tabs does the trick.

If it's not already covered in this thread, does anyone have any pictures of Indian Shermans fitted with the Soviet guns?

Hmmmm yeah, no idea what that thing is. 

Also no pics of the Indian Shermans, but I havn't looked yet. 

It was included and beloved by all except fascist scum. I guess it's just stowed away in the images.

Also it's a shame that there are so few markings on the Soviet Shermans, it makes them a lot less fun to paint than the Americans.

I faintly remember one of the online "I remember" series featuring a Soviet M4 tanker, mentioning that they liked the .50" but that ammo and parts were very scarce.

What litle LL data I can find mentioning supplies of bitsa for the Big Browning kind of supports this.

Also, "Aircraft Belts for Ground .50's was definitely a thing". Am trying to borrow the pics to scan, but encountered a guy who had some of his father's pics from WW2 showing U.S. tankers using prelinked AC loadouts. ("T-11H" IIRC)