Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

SVDM, some info from "Gunza"/otvaga

haGen.jpg

KK link.

QltJg.jpg

RAIe2.jpg

93Ka8.jpg

g0QWw.jpg

Weight - 5.3kg

- Thickened [free-f;oating/"unloaded'] barrel;
- Reinforced receiver;
- Upper part of receiver/dust cover with Picatinny rail (hinged?);
- Stock with adjastible cheek;
- Adjustable stock Back plate from the SV-98
- Bipod from SV-98;
- New grip [pistol grip];
- Flashhider similar to SVDS.

Accuracy of the regular sniper cartridge 7N14, a series of 10 shots in the 300 meters - from 9 to 11 cm. The "Extra" catridge - from 6 to 8 cm.

Am I wrong in thinking that the BAR would have made a decent early assault rifle with weight reduction, caliber conversion, and other reasonable tweaks?

The Monitor was a solid attempt at putting the BAR on a diet.

Much of that being in response to men like Clyde Barrow doing their own custom jobs on the BAR.

miscat.jpg

clydeandbarcolor.jpg

This guy has a slew of Bonnie and Clyde pictures on his rather homemade website that I haven't seen before.

The motorized bandits of the 1930s had some cutting edge stuff.

Although this is what all the cool kids were doing to have the "perfect" concealed handgun, a customized "belly gun" that you can fire from inside your coat pocket.

fitz_gun_zpsejgspjbl.jpg

Is 600 a good price for a Springfield trap door?

In my opinion, $600 for any US Army rifle these days is a fair price to start what with the inflation of collectors gobbling up everything. But I live in Washington state and everything is higher here price wise.

As for the Springfield itself, I am assuming this is the rifle and not the carbine which usually commands a higher price. Any sort of provenance that goes with it? Serial number and arsenal markings. Another thing that can raise the value is if you can trace it to an original unit. Was it used in the Battle of Wounded Knee or was it sitting in a National Guard arsenal for its career. Most likely the latter.

I'm assuming it also has all or most of its original parts and hasn't been molested in any way by Bubba. Blueing and stock condition and firing condition are OK? Finally, does the weapon speak to you? Is this something that you will be happy owning for the next five or ten years?

The MP7? Yeah, it's pretty huge.

So, one thing that's kinda bugged me that maybe Alex could comment on, since he's sort of coming at it from the other side, is that I have been accused of being biased against Germans or Germany. I don't really feel like I have any bias against Germans, Germany, or German products, so that is a bit confusing to me.

Am I biased and I just don't realize it? Do people who like German stuff have some kind of overaggressive instinct towards those who don't? Or is it something else, maybe?

The MP7? Yeah, it's pretty huge.

So, one thing that's kinda bugged me that maybe Alex could comment on, since he's sort of coming at it from the other side, is that I have been accused of being biased against Germans or Germany. I don't really feel like I have any bias against Germans, Germany, or German products, so that is a bit confusing to me.

Am I biased and I just don't realize it? Do people who like German stuff have some kind of overaggressive instinct towards those who don't? Or is it something else, maybe?

Bias against German people? No, not at all. I have never gotten this vibe from you in the slightest regarding any nationality. Against Germany the nation? Surely not (of course we have never really discussed the intricacies of modern German politics... Man that would be boring).

That said when it comes to German military equipment, the totality of this board seems inclined towards unusually harsh criticism. Hell, from what I understand, this board was founded because you guys were upset about the heavy German bias on another, somewhat similar board. It would be logical to assume that some of your frustrations were carried over.

Just today in our conversation you were calling a gentleman on TFB a "wehraboo" for making an observation about your comparison between the MP7 and the SCAMP. While I side with you, the man's statement gave me no indication that he was any kind of "wehraboo" (a term that seems to have had its original, humorous meaning corrupted to mean "likes anything German" from where I am sitting).

And then there is post #34179 of this thread where anti-German bias was explained to me by Brick Fight this way:

"A little late, but also keep in mind that a lot of us met on a game forum where users with avatars of literal Nazis could call our Russian friends here subhuman garbage for even minor critique of German military equipment and practice. They'd get off free while se would get temp-bans for saying "nazis were bad" or something. We tend to take the piss on German stuff mostly because of the mythic nature surrounding it, and there's lots of exaggeration when we do jab. I'm sure at least a few users here happily own something with Walther, H&K, Mauser, etc. written on the side, but god knows I don't want to give any weirdo nationalists any sort of validation."

So it is easy to see why one might draw such conclusions.

I'm certainly prejudiced against idiots, but I don't think that's really the same thing. As for me using "wehraboo", I couldn't have expected you to know this, but I think most of the veterans of the WoT Forums on this board understand the close relationship between wehraboos and the fallacy that I pointed out he was committing (even though so far as I know he doesn't qualify as a wehraboo).

You've called me "the most reflexively anti-German person" you'd ever met, previously. Is that based on how I act towards some of these people (i.e., dumb people), or how I react to German equipment/people/etc?