Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

So, as we were talking about portable GLs in the G36 thread, someone showed me this thing. the QLT-89 50mm grenade launcher.

qlt89.jpg

While I thought it was just a mortar, It's actually intended as a large, personal grenade launcher. (In this configuration at least.)

801469_10.jpg

"Mortar" configuration, The range markings go up to 800m.

Different grenade types.

gl-51.jpg

gl-50.jpg

This is anti-Maidan personal GL/mortar to shoot tear gas into the deep of the Maidummies crowds, lol.  

And even more photos from competition...

7tY2WAX.jpg

AdWQ58W.jpg

Somebody even bought that thing. IIRC TFB wrote small article about that pack with sleeve/belt.

Two very common causes of this (I mean, besides the fact the Carioca has an IQ in single digits): He dry fired his gun like 2000 times and broke the connector on the trigger and now it is jammed into place, or he failed to clean his weapon properly and grit is hanging the firing pin.

I remember my own very young years and failing to clean the firing pin of an M16 properly, and having it go full auto on me when I was instructed to hit the forward assist.  Poor cleaning on my part, a floating firing pin design, an old H&R M16 with a mismatched Colt bolt, some mud from crawling around Camp Blanding, and I got to experience emptying a 30 round mag in like 5 seconds.  

Two very common causes of this (I mean, besides the fact the Carioca has an IQ in single digits): He dry fired his gun like 2000 times and broke the connector on the trigger and now it is jammed into place, or he failed to clean his weapon properly and grit is hanging the firing pin.

I remember my own very young years and failing to clean the firing pin of an M16 properly, and having it go full auto on me when I was instructed to hit the forward assist.  Poor cleaning on my part, a floating firing pin design, an old H&R M16 with a mismatched Colt bolt, some mud from crawling around Camp Blanding, and I got to experience emptying a 30 round mag in like 5 seconds.  

Doesn't really look like that to me. If the firing pin were jammed forward, the gun would slamfire; it's not. Likewise, a broken connector would cause the gun to not fire, not to fire when shaken (besides, if your gun breaks after dry firing it 2,000 times, that manufacturer isn't very good). Looks like a sear failure to me. Could be factory, could be due to modifications.

Lollin' at Americans training Ukrainians on decades-old Soviet arms. I guess nobody that served in the Soviet army would get themselves tangled up in this mess.

https://youtu.be/8HZ60Kj_Jm4

NATO advisors train many nations on old Soviet hardware - dozens of former nations use the stuff.  The Ukraine when it gained independence from the old Soviet Empire started small - scale training with NATO quite some time ago.  

No one in their right mind really should want an old-style Soviet trainer instructing them in small unit tactics.  Soviet theory never got over the idea that dead soldiers was a measure of effectiveness of an officer rather than dead enemy.  One way you can get a HUGE bump in combat effectiveness is to take the Soviet weapons and apply western standards to them.  And the Ukraine is not showing educated military science people how effective modern Russian power projection is, but how problematic and ineffective it is under Putin.  The longer you run an army like a gang of thugs, the harder it is to make it an effective fighting force.  Russian soldiers, even special operations soldiers, are not covering themselves in glory fighting a bunch of Ukrainian used car salesmen and farmers.

Doesn't really look like that to me. If the firing pin were jammed forward, the gun would slamfire; it's not. Likewise, a broken connector would cause the gun to not fire, not to fire when shaken (besides, if your gun breaks after dry firing it 2,000 times, that manufacturer isn't very good). Looks like a sear failure to me. Could be factory, could be due to modifications.

I think because it takes several tries to make it work what you are seeing is micro-protrusion of the firing pin, each time scoring a tiny hit on the primer until one causes a fire.  The alternate is that the connector is broken where metal meets plastic in the trigger mechanism.  It could be a sear, but I have fired that guns forebear a lot and had it down to the smallest parts and the sear / striker is quite tough.  Unless the guy tried to modify the trigger pull and messed with the sear.

My best is from the guy's accent (I wish my wife could listen because as a native speaker her ear is better than mine).  He has the shhh sound of someone from Rio, but he also has the flattened syllables of a Paulisto.  He is on a range, which means he is rich or a cop, but he does not sound rich.

So he seems like a cop from a major city who likely dry fires his guns a lot, and who shoots enough to get his weapon fouled with gunk.

But you are just as likely right as I am, because I was making assumptions from my own experience on the weapon, and have not read anything yet on the video.  I know BOPE, where I have friends who work (my wife was born in Gavea) are not fans of the 24/7 and PT100 series - but I never inquired as to why.

Edit - I think one other reason is that I am assuming the 24/7 trigger works just like the 100 series it has no cocked position.  The weapons are not cocked the way a normal pistol so the sear is not holding back anything.  Instead the trigger  pulls an assembly back and at the end of its travel released it, causing the firing pin to hit the ammunition.  To slam fire the weapon has to have that mechanism push against mechanical force enough to bring the mechanism back into detent, then allow it to release off the sear.  That is like having a double action revolver with a loose trigger cock itself then released and fire - I am just skeptical it can be done. Again - not that your wrong, on a Glock where the striker is held back in a cocked position I would agree.

So. I am currently in the middle of a classic Ward Brother adventure with my lil bro the details of which may or may not be revealed later.

Currently I am at his house in Roy, WA adjacent to Fort Lewis (Joint Base Lewis McChord) and listening to the serenade of 155mm Howitzers firing from a distance and landing at a MUCH closer distance. The sound and feel of the over pressure waves and explosions even from a couple miles away is fucking incredible. It's been awhile since I've had a chance to experience it. And I certainly would not want to be any closer to those shells going off.

So. I am currently in the middle of a classic Ward Brother adventure with my lil bro the details of which may or may not be revealed later.

Currently I am at his house in Roy, WA adjacent to Fort Lewis (Joint Base Lewis McChord) and listening to the serenade of 155mm Howitzers firing from a distance and landing at a MUCH closer distance. The sound and feel of the over pressure waves and explosions even from a couple miles away is fucking incredible. It's been awhile since I've had a chance to experience it. And I certainly would not want to be any closer to those shells going off.

Run toward the blast grasshopper!  They cannot hit twice in the same place!