Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

So, I am trying to track down information on two very obscure Russian carbines.

The first is Igor Stechkin's entry into the competition that eventually resulted in the AKS-74U.  I can find pictures of it in books, but no pictures online and almost no information.  Supposedly it was recoil-operated (that's why I was saying before I thought the Dragunov MA was recoil operated; I was mixing it up with the Stechkin).

The second is a design from I. Postinikov from Izhevsk that incorporated a design feature by Tokarev that bled gases through the rear of the cartridge case.  A single line in one of my books is all I can find.

Please?  Does it involve tracking down a dangerous, man-mauling bear?

Having everything go wrong and then the bears showing up is usually the punchline to my Alaska stories. No bears this adventure, sadly.

However, I am of the opinion that some of you all need to move up to Washington state. Parkland/Spanaway in particular.

GunzandGanja_zpsq34qxee6.jpg

It must have opened fairly recently what with the Pro-pot Initiative passing in 2012. Although I don't get down to Spanaway as much as I used. I always found them to be a pretty good spot for blackpowder stuff and - of course - stick slinger supplies. Although it's been a decade or so since I darkened their doors.

Ive been to quite a few dispensaries that will search you for any weapons before you're even allowed to go in (both here and in Colorado), and yet pretty much every gun dealer worth his salt won't sell to you if they suspect there's even a remote chance you're high or drunk (I was actually bitching on ts3 about getting denied a Colt LE6920 sold to me back in February because they suspected I was drunk, I was literally 100% sober and it greatly pissed me off at the time.)

God, such choices you must make these days. D:

My point was that it looks awfully tempting to see both in the same building complex, but disappointing you only get to choose one.

Well, I guess you could go the gun store first, stash it in your car and hopefully not be seen by the doormen at the dispensary or hope they don't have any doormen when you make your way over there.

Looks remarkably like a French MAS.

Oh. I guess that's because it basically is. Did they rechamber it to 8mm Mauser or keep it 7.5?

They kept it in 7.5x54mm.  The German Army issued about 80,000 of them to divisions stationed in France, along with 20,000 Berthier M34s.  MAS continued slow serial production during the war - they did not bother to run serial numbers so numbers will forever be a mystery, but I have found 6 rifles along that had NAZI intake marks so the number is likely pretty significant. Captured war stocks of 7.5mm were not sufficient once those units went into battle, and French manufactured 7.5 after the start of the war was unreliable and dangerous, so units equipped with the rifle tended to dump them after a few months in combat for lack of ammo supply, although the Germans loved them because they were easy to train new soldiers on.

Coincidentally had your G41 video playing when I read that. Fun stuff.

Anyhow. I know I'm opening up the flood gates, but after building up my collection of old bolt-actions, I'm ready for a Garand. I just don't know where to start. CMP looks like a decent place. They're the only Garands I see under $1000, and people say they're good quality. Is anyone else familiar with the CMP rifles, and if they're worth it?

There is an extremely embarrassing video of me, thankfully taken before Youtube but it received air time on the nightly news.  I was chasing a man through Leesburg Estates that we had a warrant on - he had several weeks before held up the gate guards at Fort Jackson and stole their M16A2 rifles and M9 pistols, along with cellphones, pistol belts, spare magazines, and gameboys. We were suppose to be delicate about the situation because they just wanted the rifles back without any press.  My partner and I saw the goofball on the list with another guy we were after - so I took after one and Gonzales took out after another.  The video shows this guy, whose pants were worn around his thighs, loose his pants and start hip-hoppity-skip jumping to get away from me.  The embarrassing part is he almost did - he put like a hundred meters between me and him (I was probably the world's worst road deputy and still wonder that I survived) before tripping and face planting into a curb.  I ran up and on the video yelled "quit resisting" as I put the handcuffs on and he replies he is not resisting, he swallowed several teeth.

Far from being a heroic cop, I looked like I was planning to apply for the Keystone division of RCSD but was lacking in skills had been made a junior member.