Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

I posted it before, seems to me this gun have pretty good recoil control characteristics. ALso, rifle in this video is semi-auto, maybe even very same rifle picture of which AKOUL4774 posted.

Having fired the Ultimax LMG, I am very curious to fire the AK-107, or any other balanced-action design.

The reason I am interested is that the Ultimax constant recoil system definitely works.  I am curious to see if the balanced-action system works also.

Balanced-action and constant recoil are doing very nearly the opposite thing.  In constant recoil, the mass of the bolt carrier is higher than normal and the distance it reciprocates is longer than normal.  This reduces the peak force of the bolt carrier slamming into the receiver, but at the expense of increasing the center of gravity shift and the impulse of the bolt carrier hitting the receiver when it goes into battery.

In balanced-action, the center of gravity shift and the impulses of the bolt carrier hitting the back of the receiver and going into battery are eliminated, but at the expense of higher peak recoil impulse.

So it would be rather curious if both systems worked better than conventional ones.

High on the "why?" factor.

I'm going to guess the person making the proposal does not realize the two designs while externally similar are mechanically different..

I am going to guess the person making the proposal does not know what the word "mechanically" means.

_qwtrje7VPo.jpg

Chinese M99 sniper rifle in hands of Abu Zzar al-Ingushi, he was a student in one of Moscow universities, managed to get in ISIS, was killed by Syrian air forces.

A shame, I would've loved to have that rifle instead of some fgt ISIS member. =(

Oh and while I'm at it, from any sources I can find, the only clients who ever looked at the M99 in the Middle East were Syria and Qatar, I guess take your bets on which of those 2 states ISIS members most likely got such a weapon from.

(Note that Pakistan tested them, but I can't find any record of them every buying any significant amount of them.)

A picture purporting to be of a Norwegian (?!) Peshmerga volunteer.

0atE8fUh.jpg

I'd be more worried if he was Finnish. :P

That being said, we've had plenty of Canadian make the news going over to fight them.  As a Canadian, you have to be careful which unit you volunteer with if you want to stay on the good side of our Federal government.

You can take the optimistic approach and say he captured it from some Syrian Govt. arsenal, but Qatar is ran by fuckholes who are more than willing to fund Sunni terrorism.

Oddly enough, was looking for articles online and Timothy Yan did a piece on it, he actually does allege that the weapons weren't the original weapons from the Syrian government's arsenal, but infact on a shipment intended for the Syrian Free Army on a deal brokered by Qatar. However, the plot thickens as he speculates the funding came, from, well. somewhere not surprising but somewhere it really shouldn't have come from.

So, the question that many want to know is how did the Chinese made M99 got into Syria? Initially, many believe that was through a 3rd country that is a traditional customer

of Chinese weaponry such as Sudan. However, more recent findings have indicated that all the Free Syrian Army’s M99s came from Qatar and it was most likely purchased with CIA

funding.

http://www.thebangswitch.com/the-chinese-m99-50-caliber-anti-material-rifle/

So, If true, we have yet another case of "The CIA doing something really stupid and having it backfire horribly on them." Though, don't take it as truth because, while I said "somewhat" credible, Yan has been wrong on a few things before, so take it with a grain of salt for now.

I am going to guess the person making the proposal does not know what the word "mechanically" means.

My bad, I forgot that mechanical aptitude and some sense of how things work no longer matter in this brave new world.

That nonsensical mass of laughable idiocy -obviously- is workable, because it's creator took a 1/4 semester of "Sketchup" and once managed to take a cap-gun apart without pinching his fingers.

My bad, I forgot that mechanical aptitude and some sense of how things work no longer matter in this brave new world.

That nonsensical mass of laughable idiocy -obviously- is workable, because it's creator took a 1/4 semester of "Sketchup" and once managed to take a cap-gun apart without pinching his fingers.

Nah, they don't let kids have cap guns anymore.

Oddly enough, was looking for articles online and Timothy Yan did a piece on it, he actually does allege that the weapons weren't the original weapons from the Syrian government's arsenal, but infact on a shipment intended for the Syrian Free Army on a deal brokered by Qatar. However, the plot thickens as he speculates the funding came, from, well. somewhere not surprising but somewhere it really shouldn't have come from.

http://www.thebangswitch.com/the-chinese-m99-50-caliber-anti-material-rifle/

So, If true, we have yet another case of "The CIA doing something really stupid and having it backfire horribly on them." Though, don't take it as truth because, while I said "somewhat" credible, Yan has been wrong on a few things before, so take it with a grain of salt for now.

My own research says at least three fishy ships entered Syrian waters and entered ports NOT controlled by the Syrian government.  Sa Ja Bong was the most suspicious because it was suppose to be by tracker in Chinese port when it was photographed in Syria.  The main issue I have been hearing from French friends is that the CIA has been really late to this game - only the UK and France have moved heavily into the arms business into the area.  

The other rumor is that Turkey is paying BIG protection money to ISIS now, in the multi-million Euro range, and has been transferring military hardware.  Turkey had a long standing connection with AQI and its operators were caught on several occasions meeting with the Isis predecessor organization.  There is a possible movement of Chinese arms, brokered by North Korea, and delivered via Turkey to Isis.  

Finally, there is an American connection through private weapons purchased supposedly for Hezb being routed (or captured, hard to tell) to Isis.

I see the Turks have not forgotten anything from their Byzantine predecessors.

Everyone knows that if the Turks wanted to they could put two and two together and figure out which individuals were flying to Istanbul from Europe or North America and taking a bus south.

Speaking of Chinese AMRs though, while looking for more info about the M99 and sales on it, I found out Norinco has made yet another Chinese .50 caliber rifle known as the NSG-50, which is something rather embarrasing for me considering it was sitting right under my nose in one of the most obvious places possible.

....Right on Norinco's website. (Yes, Norinco has a website.)

Judging from the appearance and the description, this is more designed as a precision long range rifle as opposed to strictly an AMR, so accuracy is expected to be better then the various semi auto designs put out.

LOCAL201312211600597928596768870.jpg

Polytechnologies Ltd and Norinco have had a rocky road with the Chinese government in recent years.  For the past 20 years 40 employees of these two companies have been indicted in China alone for arms smuggling.  In some ways I am baffled by the economic sense this smuggling makes.  They found entire cases of automatic capable rifles in Alemao in Brazil and the drug dealers can't have all that much money to line Norinco pockets.  And I cannot even find a benefit from the point of view of advancing Chinese interests.

If someone can ever find out how gun running for Norinco works I would love to know it.

To be fair, when you realize that defense companies from other major powers such as the USA and Russia/Former USSR don't exactly have the cleanest track records on arms trafficking or selling to ....."reputable" clients (god help you if the CIA ever gets involved/gets caught helping), it sort of makes sense that they too want their own slice of the market now that they have the industrial base and influence to do so. Sometimes it just involves some rather underhanded or shady practices to compete and accomplish as they've learned.

As for how they operate on some of their darker clients, I'm sure I could dig up some details, but not exactly a full rundown for rather...obvious reasons.

To be fair, when you realize that defense companies from other major powers such as the USA and Russia/Former USSR don't exactly have the cleanest track records on arms trafficking or selling to ....."reputable" clients (god help you if the CIA ever gets involved/gets caught helping), it sort of makes sense that they too want their own slice of the market now that they have the industrial base and influence to do so. Sometimes it just involves some rather underhanded or shady practices to compete and accomplish as they've learned.

As for how they operate on some of their darker clients, I'm sure I could dig up some details, but not exactly a full rundown for rather...obvious reasons.

I am mostly interested from the point of view of trying to make sense of things.  I always assume that arms running has to make sense from a money perspective, or from a political perspective.  Some of what I collated makes no sense - no one benefited and no one made any money.  Hardly seems in character.

I am mostly interested from the point of view of trying to make sense of things.  I always assume that arms running has to make sense from a money perspective, or from a political perspective.  Some of what I collated makes no sense - no one benefited and no one made any money.  Hardly seems in character.

One thing to keep in mind is that there is a fair bit of corruption between the Government/Military and Arms manufacturers in China, to the point that, while it may appear they care about some of the political backfiring or that no actual money is made, you never really know what's actually happening between the military and Norinco or Polytech, or at least, what was, they're a bit more reluctant now because Xi Jinping is actually for the most part keeping his word on cracking down on State, military, and state-run corporate corruption.

Probably the most prolific Government/Military official under said campaign would be the disgrace of General Xu Caihou, who, among taking bribes for promotions, also took bribes from various companies, Norinco being one of the alleged. He died of bladder cancer before he was formally charged so the entire details of who and what exactly he took money from/for remains under speculation, however it does raise questions and curiosity of what he was willing to risk life imprisonment and being disgraced by the entire country for.