Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

So, mentioned it on TS3, but managed to pick up a G40 MOS series when I wasn't even intending to buy any new firearms. Considering it's the first time I've seen the MOS on retail sale ever, I snatched the only one they had with haste. (They also had 2 G41s, one was being held for a buyer though.)

I have a friend who's been looking for one for quite some time whos out of town, I'm sure if I decide I don't want it (but after getting it, I kind of do), he'll be overjoyed upon hearing it.

It always surprises me that Glock managed to make an attractive looking pistol. No doubt someone left a gate open and a sneaky CZ got in and bred with that Glock's mother.

If you hurry, you might be able to claim the G41 they still (likely) have!

It's supposedly .45 Super rated.

The straight mag is just the early H&K 9mm pattern.

Or it could be an aftermarket one.  I was looking for some last night and apparently the early straight mags had issues feeding hollowpoints, so they went curved.  Newer straight mags have a different follower or something.  

So yeah, after getting more boxes of Buffalo Bore they finally got back in, I got one of the rumored "No speer gold dot" loadings in the lead JHP boxes (Also got some Barned Solid Coppers, but a bit irrelevent). They're apparently using Hornady XTPs now which to my knowledge are still very good rounds, just thought it was worth noting.

After sending an email out of curiosity to Tim Sundles, he responded saying the biggest reason for the change was that Speer Gold Dots are apparently in very short supply at the current time and he's "not sure if or when they'll return to loading them."

Just a heads up, since while I think Hornady XTP and Barnes Solid Coppers are still a very good choice either way, I know some people fanboy the shit out of Speer's projectiles.

On another note, this is really why I hate people who fanboy the ever living hell out of Underwood, they make good cartridges rivaling BB (though I've had feed issues with their brass which I don't with BB), but SPEEEEER GOLD DOTZZ!

So yeah, after getting more boxes of Buffalo Bore they finally got back in, I got one of the rumored "No speer gold dot" loadings in the lead JHP boxes (Also got some Barned Solid Coppers, but a bit irrelevent). They're apparently using Hornady XTPs now which to my knowledge are still very good rounds, just thought it was worth noting.

After sending an email out of curiosity to Tim Sundles, he responded saying the biggest reason for the change was that Speer Gold Dots are apparently in very short supply at the current time and he's "not sure if or when they'll return to loading them."

Just a heads up, since while I think Hornady XTP and Barnes Solid Coppers are still a very good choice either way, I know some people fanboy the shit out of Speer's projectiles.

I fire about 150 gold dots a month - I am using up the last of my supply since I switched to copper loads (I sill carry a glaser magazine and glaser in my backup though).  My ammo bill will sky rocket on the coppers though, but I am happy I got away from gold dot before they went the way of the do do.

I fire about 150 gold dots a month - I am using up the last of my supply since I switched to copper loads (I sill carry a glaser magazine and glaser in my backup though).  My ammo bill will sky rocket on the coppers though, but I am happy I got away from gold dot before they went the way of the do do.

I don't have anything against gold dots, just that they seem to have some cult following and whenever designers switch to something else for whatever reason (in this case, something entirely out of BB's control), people flip out to the point of demanding refunds or boycotting which is kind of ridiculous. (This is actually where alot of Underwoods fanbase of former BB buyers come from.)

Personally, if I had absolute choice over what bullet style to use, which I don't because I don't handload really, I'd load Black Talons (really rare now though) or Ranger SXTs.

People can say what they want about the supposed downfall of Winchester, but they still make damn fine bullets.

I don't have anything against gold dots, just that they seem to have some cult following and whenever designers switch to something else for whatever reason (in this case, something entirely out of BB's control), people flip out to the point of demanding refunds or boycotting which is kind of ridiculous. (This is actually where alot of Underwoods fanbase of former BB buyers come from.)

Personally, if I had absolute choice over what bullet style to use, which I don't because I don't handload really, I'd load Black Talons (really rare now though) or Ranger SXTs.

People can say what they want about the supposed downfall of Winchester, but they still make damn fine bullets.

I use Gold Dots because they are the most effective and humane ammunition that has a normal name.  If someone made a good round and called it "buttercup flower power low daisy bullets" and created a gun to fire them called a "Ray of sunshine and wafting willows gun" then I would buy them both.

My former bullets, Winchester Silver-Tips were derided, but I challenge anyone to deride any 40 Cal bullet.  Because, I choose them for stopping and not killing.  Heck - driven to it I hope someone survives if I have to shoot them - living people can learn from their mistakes.

However - when the attorneys are suing you for every dime you and your family will ever have, the name of the bullet you use will resonate and be said over and over.  The people seeking to ruin you will have someone testify that you use a Glock which is made of plastic and is designed to sneak through metal detectors, and they will testify that your shooting two rounds center of mass was a premeditated design to kill a person execution style, and they will read the name of your bullets as often as they can to get the jury to believe you loaded Black Talon baby killer rounds.  

Gold Dot sounds like a Walmart coffee maker.

I noticed I have my sidearm sitting on my work desk right next to me, and it still has Gold Dots.

22.jpg

My former bullets, Winchester Silver-Tips were derided, but I challenge anyone to deride any 40 Cal bullet.

Challenge accepted. It's just like a 9mm, but with more recoil, more expense, and fewer rounds in the magazine.

In all seriousness, I think it's funny how the word Glock means to the city-slicking non-gunnies something like the "Zorg ZF-1" from the movie The Fifth Element. 

Challenge accepted. It's just like a 9mm, but with more recoil, more expense, and fewer rounds in the magazine.

"Designs a high capacity .32 ACP just to outdo you in all categories."

So, long story short, my grandfather and aunt were huge hoarders. Grandpa died, so we cleaned up, got on my aunt to take care of her stuff, got all of the useless shit out of our lives, and we're left with some cool thing like an M1907 sling and an M1A1 tank periscope. Unfortunately, I don't know much about some of it, so I'm asking around here. The first two are an Iver Johnson (top) and an F&W (bottom). I literally know nothing about them. Nobody ever saw grandpa buy a handgun, so we assume he nabbed some grunts' contraband when he was a Sargeant in the army:

VjneJOT.jpg

The second one's vexed us for a while. It resembles a Velo pocket revolver, but has some visual differences and intricate detailing on it, and has what looks like "Browning" written on the top. I don't think Browning ever made these, so I just assume it was someone's personalized engraving. The action won't cycle, either by trigger or attempts to move the cylinder. Also, I am really sorry you have to see my goony, unkempt fingernails. I cut them after seeing them in the picture, I promise.

dDZ4UIP.jpgsDt4nwK.jpgIHXwj9w.jpg

Without looking at the markings, what you have are two Smith and Wesson Model 3 revolvers (less probable), OR a Harrington and Richardson .32 Top Break, which was also sold by a number of other companies.  They look similar in photographs.

The bottom is a late model Velo-Dog presentation model. 

The 32 ACP Škorpion M84 was lauded in the Siege of Sarajevo.  Bosnian teams would carry the weapon into Serbian lines in preference to heavier weapons because the report of the 32ACP even without a silencer (most of which could not be maintained) was hard to localize.  Bosnians would conceal themselves in rubble and if a Serb came within 10 meters or so they would fire an entire magazine from the weapon and run.  Serbs infantry would often report they had stumbled on a machine gun nest, while adjacent units would be skeptical because they had heard nothing, or had heard a sound that was like a zipper tearing or some marbles rolling down a stairs.  

The Serb response was to shoot at every possible hiding place on patrol, which Bosnian spotters would track and know where the patrol was at.