Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

Lee Enfields are chambered in a hard to find caliber in rural areas, are too long and heavy (yes, I know there were carbines), have no comfy recoil pad, and have no muzzle brake.

For the same price I can get a Madsen in glorious 30-06.

Even so, .303" is one of the most user-friendly handload calibers out there. I suspect you could fill a case with match-heads and top it with a bit of fishing-sinker, and it'd reliably take game.

Also- I found 7.7mm Arisaka. In Paducah.

I also feel a little less bad about dinging up a Mosin carbine than my 1917 Enfield.

Meanwhile I'm daily carrying an early second gen CZ75.. They are meant to be used and admired in their use, not coddled behind glass in a padded rest.

I second the No. 4. Whether you can find .303 seems to depend on where you're at. And the idea that No. 4s aren't handy enough I find a little odd. They're not, like, the most handy rifle, but they sure beat like a 1917. I dunno, I've done plenty of running around with a No. 4.

At one time my "truck gun" was a L1A1.

I think that rifle would cost more than my entire Toyota truck. While my Winchester Model 94 Ranger 30-30 has a great deal of sentimental value, it is a $250-$300 gun.

Lee Enfields are chambered in a hard to find caliber in rural areas, are too long and heavy (yes, I know there were carbines), have no comfy recoil pad, and have no muzzle brake.

For the same price I can get a Madsen in glorious 30-06.

I took my Made in the year 1918 SMLE up to Alaska one of my trips as our dedicated bear gun and I almost had a chance to see what the .303 would do to an obnoxious three-year old brown bear that had come back twice to rob stuff off the porch of our cabin. Fortunately winging a 180 grain projectile 12 inches over his right ear at 2,500 feet per second was enough to dissuade it returning a third time.

On the other hand that thing is HEAVY.

I also feel a little less bad about dinging up a Mosin carbine than my 1917 Enfield.

I think the essence of a "truck gun" is something that the user feels is inexpensive enough to be dinged around and used while not too expensive that it would be a genuine financial catastrophe if anything ever happened to it. This varies from person to person of course depending on their circumstances. But the essential "truck gun" should certainly not cost much more than $500.

Even so, .303" is one of the most user-friendly handload calibers out there. I suspect you could fill a case with match-heads and top it with a bit of fishing-sinker, and it'd reliably take game.

Also- I found 7.7mm Arisaka. In Paducah.

Meanwhile I'm daily carrying an early second gen CZ75.. They are meant to be used and admired in their use, not coddled behind glass in a padded rest.

I'm able to find .303 British even in our local small town Ace Hardware store. It's not that unusual of a round. 

I second the No. 4. Whether you can find .303 seems to depend on where you're at. And the idea that No. 4s aren't handy enough I find a little odd. They're not, like, the most handy rifle, but they sure beat like a 1917. I dunno, I've done plenty of running around with a No. 4.

I think a handiness scale of military rifles ranging from M1 Carbine to 1917 Enfield is in order. 

Since having a loaded rifle in your vehicle is verboten in my state - and others - have a clip or magazine fed "truck gun" is an advantage of sorts over my dear anachronistic lever guns or other weapons with tubular magazines. Not that it takes that long to load a pump shotgun or slide six rounds into a Winchester. But still, when seconds count.