Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

Paging Mech... My buddy Ed takes a look at the Type 97:

Decent video, though, I should point out that the Canadian T97 versions and the actual QBZ-97-1s for military export have some pretty minor differences from each other.

Standing at 50 yards? That's quite good, Brick!

I've quickly learned my father's standards for marksmanship are different from a lot of peoples', too. The range we go to is paper only so it's 25-50 yards or nothing for open sights, and he gets fussy when every shot isn't direct center. As a result, he was even starting to hint the gun was a bad purchase based on that paper even after consideration that some of the shots were my very first with the gun before I did windage/elevation corrections.

The standards probably go back a ways, too. Apparently grandpa used to win some extra spending cash betting people he could shoot trap with pistols and rifles. His 10+ years as an NCO probably had something to do with that, since he was a city kid.

#humblebrag aside, I really like the rifle and the idea of having something I can cart around and be a little bit more harsh with (I get scared of letting the Mauser out of the bag too much). As a result, I think I've put my next C&R purchase on hold in hopes of getting an AK-74 (wood/bakelite only). I'd like to hear anyone's opinion on these if they have any info: https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/james-river-ak74-red-wood-detail.html?Itemid=0

I've quickly learned my father's standards for marksmanship are different from a lot of peoples', too. The range we go to is paper only so it's 25-50 yards or nothing for open sights, and he gets fussy when every shot isn't direct center. As a result, he was even starting to hint the gun was a bad purchase based on that paper even after consideration that some of the shots were my very first with the gun before I did windage/elevation corrections.

The standards probably go back a ways, too. Apparently grandpa used to win some extra spending cash betting people he could shoot trap with pistols and rifles. His 10+ years as an NCO probably had something to do with that, since he was a city kid.

#humblebrag aside, I really like the rifle and the idea of having something I can cart around and be a little bit more harsh with (I get scared of letting the Mauser out of the bag too much). As a result, I think I've put my next C&R purchase on hold in hopes of getting an AK-74 (wood/bakelite only). I'd like to hear anyone's opinion on these if they have any info: https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/james-river-ak74-red-wood-detail.html?Itemid=0

I say if someone can put 10 rounds inside a grapefruit at 50 yards from standing, they are doing just fine. 

Alright, it's uncomfortable advice time about AKs. First thing you need to do is forget about AKs being cheap. AKs will be slightly more expensive ($100-$200) for a given level of quality than AR-15s. The second is to forget about American AKs. American manufacturers are trying, but besides "Cadillac"-type manufacturers like Rifle Dynamics where you'll spend $1500 minimum, American builders don't know how to make AKs yet. There may be exceptions, but they'll be very recent and I don't know about them. James River has a good reputation in non-AK rifles, but I don't know about their AKs (and AKs are so "special" that I wouldn't count on a maker putting out a good one just because they can make 1903s or whatever). The JRA guns may be good, I don't know. Ditto DDI, for example. I just don't have experience with their rifles yet. 

Used to be, you could import Egyptian and Chinese AKs for pennies and sell them for a couple hundred bucks, and those were well-made guns that gave the AK its reputation as a real bargain weapon. No longer, as both those sources have been banned from importation, as have the Russian Saigas which were really the last great deal in AKs. The rifles filling this niche now are WASRs, and while they're pretty OK, they're nowhere near as good as the Saigas were.

For a first-time buyer who wants to buy once cry once and forget it (in other words, you don't want to dive off into the deep end of AKology, you want to be sure of your purchase, and you don't want to build), the most obvious choice is Arsenal. You can find SLR-104s and SLR-107s for about $1100. I bet that sounds like a lot. It is a lot, but that's just AKs right now. The Arsenal guns are excellent, reliable purchases. They're not perfect, but they're on the level with Colt for AR-15s. You could conceivably find something cheaper and better, but Arsenal is the old standby.

Here's a Reddit thread on AKs. I can't vouch for the information, but it might be helpful.

Alright, so the bottom line:

"I want a rifle that goes bang and that will live in my truck. I am not going to take it to a carbine course."  - Get a WASR, NPAP, or SKS, and spend $450-$650.

"I want a rifle that works really well and that I can shoot in tactical courses, but that I'll save a little money on vs. a top of the line model." - Be content with your Bushmaster AR-15. There are AKs in this bracket (used Egyptian Maadis come to mind), but they're really only worth it if you just must have an AK and you can't spring for an extra couple hundred bucks.

"I want an AK that is made right and will give me no problems and that I don't have to think about." - Get an Arsenal and spend $1100

Oh, PS, the bit about the barrels is unfortunately true. Good surplus chrome-lined barrels cannot be imported anymore, as the ATF changed the regulations so that parts kits had to have their barrels torch-cut as well as the receivers. It's super gay, but that's the ATF for you.

So, any kit-built gun will have a US made barrel, non-chrome-lined. Imported guns will probably have chrome-lined barrels.

Looks to be a little better Tavor, basically.

Yes.  X-95 used to be called the MTAR (micro-tavor).  The US version has a longer barrel, buttpad and handguard to comply with regulations.

3103b36ce2a7e5624371b3d8f5cae8ad.jpg

The moving parts group is identical, as far as I can see.  Barrels are not quite interchangeable, but they're very close in design.

Sadly, they kept the old bolt catch design.  The bolt catch/bolt release on the tavor is one of the few designs that's more awkward than the one on an AR-15.  It is terrible and I hate it.  It is slightly better than not having a bolt catch at all.

Yes.  X-95 used to be called the MTAR (micro-tavor).  The US version has a longer barrel, buttpad and handguard to comply with regulations.

3103b36ce2a7e5624371b3d8f5cae8ad.jpg

The moving parts group is identical, as far as I can see.  Barrels are not quite interchangeable, but they're very close in design.

Sadly, they kept the old bolt catch design.  The bolt catch/bolt release on the tavor is one of the few designs that's more awkward than the one on an AR-15.  It is terrible and I hate it.  It is slightly better than not having a bolt catch at all.

The X95's bolt catch is in the same place and works the same way, but it's a lot better than the Tavor. It has little protruding wings that make it easier to pull down to manually lock the bolt open, and it's now just a flat surface that you hit when inserting the magazine.

I still don't like it much, but it's a lot more intuitive and easy to use than the Tavor's one, I think.

My main issue is not that the catch is hard to grab hold of, it's that the damn thing is on the underneath of the ass end of the rifle.  If you're using the catch as a catch then you're necessarily also grabbing the charging handle... which is at the opposite end of the weapon (or two thirds of the way there on the MTAR, I guess).

There is really no good reason beyond designer laziness to put controls in bizarre places like this.  Sure, it's mechanically convenient, since that's where the last round hold open mechanism lives, but that's really not that much further back than the magazine catch, and they managed to route a magazine release button to the front of the gun!

Since you mentioned AKs, go over to AK Operator's Union and look at Rob's long-term reviews of rifles. They're particularly good reviews, because he takes photos of all the problem areas at regular intervals and tracks how the components hold up. Here's an example: http://www.akoperatorsunionlocal4774.com/2016/04/polish-ak47-wbp-3500rds-later-bigger-hammer/

Since you mentioned AKs, go over to AK Operator's Union and look at Rob's long-term reviews of rifles. They're particularly good reviews, because he takes photos of all the problem areas at regular intervals and tracks how the components hold up. Here's an example: http://www.akoperatorsunionlocal4774.com/2016/04/polish-ak47-wbp-3500rds-later-bigger-hammer/

Thanks. The site looks fanastic and there aren't enough long-term reviews any product out there, so hurray for him. I've been looking on and off at AKs for years, now. Now that I'm out of the culinary industry and all of my money isn't going into rent and internet (was seriously working long shifts just so I could get two employee meals at one job), I actually have money and time for my hobbies. The JRA caught my eye because, well, it looks really nice, but also because I've heard a lot of good things about their work.