Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

That video, by the way, makes me think that AKs are more tolerant of manufacturing hiccups than ARs are. I can't help but think that if the hardness specs on a bunch of AR parts like the cam pin weren't what they needed to be, that the gun would just stop running, because it doesn't have anti-preengagement.

Can't prove it, though, without being able to deliberately manufacture bad parts!

That video, by the way, makes me think that AKs are more tolerant of manufacturing hiccups than ARs are. I can't help but think that if the hardness specs on a bunch of AR parts like the cam pin weren't what they needed to be, that the gun would just stop running, because it doesn't have anti-preengagement.

Can't prove it, though, without being able to deliberately manufacture bad parts!

Research project.  Find someone willing to make small batches of bad parts for Science!  :P

And for the greater glory of being the first firearms geeks to go there.  (Kinda surprised it hasn't been done already.)

It still sort of boggles me that so many US manufacturers seemingly can't make AKs properly.

How the mighty have fallen.

It still sort of boggles me that so many US manufacturers seemingly can't make AKs properly.

How the mighty have fallen.

It's about the management and QC.

A lot of management in the firearms industry are all about the numbers, and will hound the QC and production guys to meet said numbers at the cost of quality.

When it comes to AR components, they tend to be small or easily recycled. Not so with AK's, intended to be made with a bit more eye toward individual operation quality and pre-finish inspections

Basically, the AK takes more effort to produce. And "effort" costs money.

Yes, the MBA is probably the single most destructive college degree, as from where I am standing they basically train people to liquidate a company's nontangible assets (like customer service or catalog diversity) to increase the company's bottom line, then move on before the bottom falls out.

Yes, the MBA is probably the single most destructive college degree, as from where I am standing they basically train people to liquidate a company's nontangible assets (like customer service or catalog diversity) to increase the company's bottom line, then move on before the bottom falls out.

Agreed.

More than that, I think, is the idea that 'management' is some sort of universal quality that can be applied to any company. The idea that a CEO can jump between running a bank and running an automotive manufacturer using the same approach and techniques is, to me, insane. Yet it is standard practice for upper management to do so. Combine this with the relatively new concept of managing a company purely to maximise shareholder value (and paying the manager on the same principle) and you have a recipe for managers who fly in, burn all the assets/R&D to bump the quarterly share price, and then fly out with a not-insignificant chunk of the company's value in their pockets.

Here are some weird Glock malfunctions:

L9tx3Ni.jpg

From Hognose, here's a Glock 17 where the spent case has somehow managed to turn itself 180 degrees and get lodged between the barrel and the breech face.  How does that manage to happen?  Apparently a sliver of metal under the extractor and the correct alignment of the planets.

q5Y5cQb.jpg

The so-called "phase-three malfunction," once the bane of NYPD Glock 19s according to the article.  The spent case gets wedged over the barrel hood and mashed into place by the slide as it tries to go into battery.

dWDPurF.jpg

Bonus round; not a Glock, but what is this and what circumstances conspired to make this happen?  From here.

9yf1SaZ.jpg

A view down the muzzle of the above pistol.