Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

JhzIfdc64w4.jpg

"Well at least ONE of our weapons will still be functioning if the VIP comes under attack!"

I don't really get all the people defending them in the comments with such bad reasoning (jesus, you could make a load that fires literal tiny squares of tin foil, rig it up to look nice, and people will defend it.)

Even amongst the "2.6" OF STOPPING POWER!" types, yeah, I hate to tell you this, but it's not like 12 gauge shotguns are known for their lack of tissue damage at the right ranges.

God I could see your average man shrugging off such a wound like he got a mere mosquito bite with such trivial performance!

I wanted to show a third, which is Hornady's Critical defense loading of 8 00 Buckshot at a significantly higher 1,600 fps, but couldn't find any, these fit in even a 2 3/4" chamber so they fit in damn near anything except rather old shotguns that are 2 1/2" or less.

But hey, we all know that Buckshot falls off at range faster then slugs right and this is what this is really about right? this is where a 12 gauge will fail against a man sized target, I mean nevermind lead slugs are so reliable at punching through shit they're often used by rangers and outdoorsman in Alaska as emergency guns to stop charging, frenized Kodiak bears and pissed off Moose, we all know humans are built much more sturdy then those!

Or hell, when wider wound channel shotgun slugs are done right, like the 3 segmented PDX1 slugs from Winchester which, from every LEO and even Hunters alike I've heard from that's used them, they're actually very much the real deal and not gimmicky bullshit (also help they have 3 00 buckshot in the loading, not much, but better then nothing).

See, this is what I really don't get about people who make these super gimmicky shotgun loadings, mainly for higher (or, lower, I guess) gauges like 20, 16, 12, or 10, Shotguns generally do fall behind rifles or even pistols in a home defense setting not because of their ammunition, but because of other things like low magazine capacity, long reloads unless you have like a Saiga or some shit, pretty stout recoil compared to the other 2 most of the time, and semi automatic shotguns are rather highly priced for most people to consider buying one, and that pistols are certainly more concealable and easy to handle in a household, and rifles can easily be made to be, mainly for citizens who don't want to go through the NFA process and have to stick to minimum barrel lengths (16" for rifles vs 18.5" for shotguns) etc etc. They can still protect a household vs an unlucky set of burglars and the like, but, trying to resolve the above issues would go farther, because let's face it, while you don't really have as much options with shotguns as you do with other things, the LAST thing you should focus on to improve the attractiveness of a shotgun as a personal defense weapon is trying to make a "better" loading, because frankly, there's actually a damned good reason shotguns have the notorious reputation they do when used properly for their incredibly grievous wounding or morbid kill potential. focus on their other issues to try and get sales.

HK fanboy didn't liked MAC's VP-9 mud "test"

Oh god, this is the sheer definition of pleasure from pain.

Or I guess since we're talking about SUPERIOR TEUTONIC SUPERGUNS, Schadenfreude would be more fitting.

Mech mentioned this very interesting Soviet aircraft gun design to me, the Savin-Norov:

Q18AOW2.jpg

The breech and barrel are rack-and-pinioned together.  The barrel is forced forward by gas actuation, rather like the SIG AK-52/AK-53, but the breech is conventionally driven backwards at the same time.  This way the movement is split between the barrel and the breech, and each can be accelerated to half the normal speed to achieve the same relative motion, and therefore the same rate of fire.  It's an interesting solution to the problem of high rates of fire in conventional linear-breech mechanisms.

Rebels in Ukraine test 6B23 armor plates, posted in Otvaga forum.

First is 7N6 from RPK-74, than 7N10M (Russian-made), 3rd was 7N10M from Lughansk ammunition factory. 3:35 - lower hit is from SVD, no penetration. And then SVD with B-32, armored plate with kevlar behind it (trauma pad/spall liner?).

Mech mentioned this very interesting Soviet aircraft gun design to me, the Savin-Norov:

Q18AOW2.jpg

The breech and barrel are rack-and-pinioned together.  The barrel is forced forward by gas actuation, rather like the SIG AK-52/AK-53, but the breech is conventionally driven backwards at the same time.  This way the movement is split between the barrel and the breech, and each can be accelerated to half the normal speed to achieve the same relative motion, and therefore the same rate of fire.  It's an interesting solution to the problem of high rates of fire in conventional linear-breech mechanisms.

2,800-3,600 rounds per minute in a single barrel machine gun.

Because fuck barrel life, that's why!